UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pathfinder minimates!-First box set revealed

I'm still finding all of this odd .

How are the masses being reached with this ''''''new''''''' licence ?

With the four-pack. I think these are being regarded as purely convention exclusives, like the translucent and gold Vorins for BB, or even the translucent turtles, and not a traditional "wave."

Also, as I understand it, they were produced at the behest of and with the funding of Paizo, so they, not DST, get to decide who these are being marketed to. I don't think it's fair to treat this as a botched line launch just because they're not marketed first to the hardcore Minimates fans (as much as we'd like to think we are the immovable center of the Minimate universe). I also suspect this is why Zach has kept relatively quiet about these -- no sense in further provoking a hornets nest that does a good job of stirring itself up.

All that said, It's unfortunate that they are all unique characters rather than (somewhat) easily-ignorable variants.

Lobsterman,it is very interesting to see what you said ....alongside what I said .

"Botched line launch" etc. didn't come from me ?

I just think that the lack of anything about...er...anything is [as I did say] ....odd!

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think the entire run of these were purchased in full by Paizo directly from DST, similarly to how DST handled Thundercats and, it appears, the upcoming Big Bang Theory 'mates. Zach and DST being quiet about those reveals and leaving the announcements to the company that bought the product makes sense in that context.

Hey, folks. I'm Erik Mona, publisher at Paizo. I've been working with DST for more than two years to produce Pathfinder Minimates, and I'm thrilled to report that they were a big hit at Gen Con last weekend.

As you know, Diamond will be putting out a 4-figure boxed set in October featuring our signature goblin and three of our iconic hero adventurers. We'd originally hoped to have the set ready for Gen Con in August, when I have 60,000 gamers under one roof hungry for more Pathfinder coolness. Many of our tabletop gamer customers are not aware of Minimates, so it was imperative for me to use the convention as a way to get the word out about the line.

As it happens, I am a Minimates collector myself, so I was able to put together the 12-figure preview using exclusively pieces that DST had already sculpted for other models, since there wasn't time to get new tooling done by August. Luckily, the tooling for the Goblin figure had already been completed, so we were able to use that as the basis for our four goblin repaint promo bagged figures. The four 2-Packs are more or less random selections from our game, based on what looked coolest from Diamond's HUGE storehouse of completed components.

To start: YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET ALL OF THESE MINIMATES!

The four goblins sold out rapidly at the show, but we sent a full half of our total order direct to the offices for later sale on Paizo.com. The 2-Packs did not sell out, so we have lots of them coming back to the office with the rest of our booth and merchandise, winding its way by truck from Indiana to Seattle. It'll likely be a couple of weeks before we sort out everything, put it up on the site, and start selling it. Prices will very likely be $5/each for the bagged goblins and $10/each for the 2-packs. I'll announce them as live on sale in one of my Friday Publisher Preview blogs, very likely two weeks from tomorrow or very shortly thereafter.

As long as you're paying attention around then, I expect we have enough of everything to go around. Our company owners are some of the biggest Star Wars collectors in the world, and they have very strong feelings about getting screwed out of convention exclusives because they couldn't get to a con on a specific day on the other side of the planet. So all of our exclusives WILL appear on our website. I can't promise they'll last there forever, of course, but they will be there.

Here are links to the gallery images of all 8 2-Pack figures:

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lgcy?Friday-Publisher-Preview-Feeling-Iconic

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lgds?Friday-Publisher-Preview-Iconic-Heroes-Return

I'm happy to answer any other questions you guys might have about the Pathfinder figures. I'm really proud of what we were able to put together, and I suspect you guys are really going to dig these!

Erik, very cool of you to stop by and let us know what's going on... and with a time frame and everything! I personally am not a tabletop gamer, and thus not familiar with Pathfinder previously, but I'm very impressed with the designs of these figures. You've done a great job making a set of sharp looking characters.

And, since you are a Minimate collector, I hope you stick around and participate!

Thanks for posting. The figures look great and I hope you have a lot of success.

Q1) will there be any other accessories not shown in the images?

Q2) depending on success of these sets, do you think future sets/figures would incorporate new parts?

Q3) any character types (armored knights, dragons, something else) that you, personally, would like to see developed?

Thanks a ton for the info and the updates! I have to say, I'm relieved about this, since I was worried I'd miss out on them. I'm not a tabletop gamer (I started chaos space marine, ultramarine and ork armies for warhammer 40k, but I didn't find anyone to play with so I abonded that) but I've read a couple of the Pathfinder comics and really liked the lore. Now, some questions:

1)How "big" is the line as of now? Are there any waves, vehicles, big characters like monsters (dragons), etc planned or will this go on with the box set format?

2)I noticed that the exclusive wave featured an army builder in each pack, along with a named character. Will this continue going forward?

3)Did the 2-packs include any acessories we might have missed?

Again, thanks for taking the time to update us!

Welcome aboard, Erik! Thank you for posting! It's good to have you here!

I'm happy to hear that you are all collectors as well, and want to make things easy for everyone. I'm relieved I'll be able to snag the last two goblins.

They're a beautiful set of figures, and I look forward to seeing more!

I am not a table top gamer either, but I am slightly addicted to Skyrim and these figures all look like they could have walked out of that world, so I am totally on board with these. Happy to hear they will be made available to everyone. Thanks for the info Erik, and welcome to the board!