UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Minimates

youbastards

A question for Zach, what is the average turn around time from when you receive a movie character design until you can have The Minimate ready to ship

Also if you know do the bigger companies like Hasbro get the same lead time as DST? Im curious as to how Hasbro can have a( presumably Larger) run of figures at

retail Months before DST and also included in those are characters that DST cant make because you weren't given enough lead up time to produce their look?

I don't do production, Ask DST.

I hate to say it again, but yeah, everyone should see the movie and the figures before they pick apart the line-up. I don't know who Hasbro is making that we're not, unless this is all about Kurse again...

And you're not as right as you think you are, YB. tongue.png

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing some of these will have alternate looks. I'm figuring Harry is both him and Goblin. And Smythe was totally out of left field for me, i had to google that one. Kudos on such a random, obscure character, that's a good call.

Also figuring Aleksei is our second alternate-underpants Minimate.

Frankly nobody knew Smythe was coming. As far as I know, this announces that he's in the movie at all. First I heard he's in here.

A question for Zach, what is the average turn around time from when you receive a movie character design until you can have The Minimate ready to ship

Also if you know do the bigger companies like Hasbro get the same lead time as DST? Im curious as to how Hasbro can have a( presumably Larger) run of figures at

retail Months before DST and also included in those are characters that DST cant make because you weren't given enough lead up time to produce their look?

I don't do production, Ask DST.

I hate to say it again, but yeah, everyone should see the movie and the figures before they pick apart the line-up. I don't know who Hasbro is making that we're not, unless this is all about Kurse again...

And you're not as right as you think you are, YB. tongue.png

"he's an Angry Elf"

Neither franchise has completely gotten right the Spider-Man I want to see on film, but so far Raimi's films are closer to what I want than Webb's ASM. It really took Peter a long time to come into his own in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man. Reading those old issues you truly saw this awkward teenage boy experience tragedy after tragedy on his way to becoming an adult (who also just happened to have super powers). The emphasis on him going to school and trying to make ends meet working for the Bugle, while caring for his elderly aunt, fighting super-villains, keeping his girlfriend happy all while trying to live a normal life with normal everyday problems is what really established Spider-Man as Marvel's premiere character.

Raimi knew and understood that, and that's why I think his vision of the character clicks with me. Spider-Man is about an everyman at the wrong place at the wrong time coming to terms with his place in the world while trying to maintain the balance of a normal life while occasionally having to fight for his life or the lives of the people he loves.

Webb's ASM, so far, seems to have glossed over a lot of that turmoil. The Bugle and JJJ were completely omitted from the story making one of Peter's biggest problems (money) a non-issue while at the same time choosing to change back from organic to mechanical webshooters (something of which money would definitely be a factor), and it also implies that Peter stole the materials from Oscorp to make his web fluid, which again, is a huge character flaw.

After Uncle Ben dies there is little in the way of showing the guilt that affected Peter and influenced his decision making. That guilt over Ben's death should have directly influenced Peter's decision to keep the promise to Capt. Stacy about not seeing Gwen any longer. Remember, in the comics Gwen didn't know that Peter was Spider-Man, and she hated Spider-Man for being responsible for her father's death, so once again Peter was torn between his responsibility as being Spider-Man and his love for Gwen, but because Webb chose to ignore that piece of the story. Now will that choice of refusing to honor Capt. Stacy's promise come back to bite Peter by resulting in Gwen's death? It's too soon to know for sure, but if Gwen's death is the catalyst for Peter's guilt instead of Ben's death, well then that's just further trivializing the role that Uncle Ben played in Webb's ASM origin.

Some of the best character driven moments from Raimi's movies came from Peter interacting with Aunt May. Rosemary Harris played a wonderful Aunt May, doting but supportive. The scenes between her and Tobey really showed the impact on the loss of Uncle Ben in both of their lives. So far, we haven't seen anything close to that level of relationship between Andrew Garfield and Sally Field.

Spider-Man 3 was just an unfortunate movie. The studio's insistence to shoe-horn Venom into story was just something they didn't plan out in enough time, and Raimi's unfamiliarity/disinterest with the Venom material really shows with that portion of the Spider-Man 3 story. Think about it, they just spent part of Spider-Man 2 referencing ASTRONAUT John Jameson as a rival love interest for Mary Jane, but when the ALIEN SYMBIOTE arrives on Earth, it is through the landing of a meteorite??? You just had a person in SPACE that is in love with the girlfriend of the protagonist! Now I'm not saying fans would have liked a version of Venom that was John Jameson instead of Eddie Brock, but at least the arrival of the symbiote on Earth was already accounted for with the story of the second movie.

The Sandman story, while being an unnecessary change to the origin of Spider-Man, was by far the best part of the film, but again a huge opportunity to bookend the "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" theme was wasted. At the end of the film when Peter confronts Flint Marko and forgives him, instead of escaping/dissolving into the wind, Marko should have turned himself into the police. Even though he has the ability to escape anytime he wanted, choosing to face justice for his crimes would have truly rounded out that character as an "everyman at the wrong place at the wrong time", just like how Peter got his powers.

Anyway, Spider-Man rant over.

I'm looking forward to seeing if ASM2 attempts to make up for any of the things that I think ASM1 was lacking.

TnsFL5S.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised this bit of Spidey 2 news seems to have slipped past all of us unmentioned

http://majorspoilers.com/2013/12/13/movies-sinister-six-venom-getting-stand-alone-movies/

Oh gosh, I completely forgot to post about this when they were announced. I'm very interested to see the films being told in the perspective of the villains {if it is}! I can't wait to see the lineup, even though it probably will include Lizard, Electro, Rhino and Goblin whom were all going to be shown previously.

I'm surprised this bit of Spidey 2 news seems to have slipped past all of us unmentioned

http://majorspoilers.com/2013/12/13/movies-sinister-six-venom-getting-stand-alone-movies/

Oh gosh, I completely forgot to post about this when they were announced. I'm very interested to see the films being told in the perspective of the villains {if it is}! I can't wait to see the lineup, even though it probably will include Lizard, Electro, Rhino and Goblin whom were all going to be shown previously.

If the Spidey 2 trailer is at all accurate, Ock and Vulture will finish off the lot.

I really want to see John Hurt play the Vulture...

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rhino and The Lizard will end up being in the Sinister Six. I just don't think character-wise they would fit into the dynamic. I think it will be a Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Vulture, Electro, and two others who we haven't seen yet.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rhino and The Lizard will end up being in the Sinister Six. I just don't think character-wise they would fit into the dynamic. I think it will be a Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Vulture, Electro, and two others who we haven't seen yet.

I still want to see Mysterio in a Spider-Man movie. Even if he's as much a joke as he was in the Spider-Man 2 game. Honestly I kinda want these movies to introduce some of Spidey's villains that don't have much of an impact as joke characters. Like Shocker was in Ultimate Spider-Man comics.

I was thinking Mysterio, possibly Sandman although after Spider-Man 3 I'm not sure I need to see Sandman ever again. My ideal final 2 would be Chameleon/Mysterio and Scorpion. I'm really surprised no one has ever attempted to put Scorpion in a movie yet.

Oh how'd I forget about Scorpion? I think they didn't put him in because they weren't sure who to pair him with and they doubted he could carry his own movie. Which means he's perfect for S6.

Precisely, you could switch JJJ with Norman Osborn hiring him to kill Spider-Man and giving him the suit, possibly juicing him up with some extra strength.

I'm trying to figure out how they'll introduce Venom, if he'll be in a Spider-Man film then spin off, or go straight to the spin off?

Precisely, you could switch JJJ with Norman Osborn hiring him to kill Spider-Man and giving him the suit, possibly juicing him up with some extra strength.

I'm trying to figure out how they'll introduce Venom, if he'll be in a Spider-Man film then spin off, or go straight to the spin off?

I wouldn't be surprised if they more made a Venom spin off from the start that shows the origin of Venom like Ultimate Spider-Man but from Brock's (or whoever they make Venom's) POV. I honestly thought Harry Osborn was going to wind up Venom but clearly they're making him Goblin. Unless he does both. I could watch an entire movie of DeHaan as Venom easily.

I could too, I'm concerned he might not survive ASM 2, I think Dane DeHaan is a tremendous actor.

They've already set a precedent of not actually killing every villain in this series by sparing Conners. Maybe they'll let the Goblin survive too. Or maybe Harry changes his mind, loses the Goblin serum, and then still has the opportunity to become Venom. Norman then takes up the Goblin formula after having proven that it makes his son stronger. Third Spidey movie with Norman losing his f**king mind as the Goblin, killing Stacey and setting Peter over the edge, causing him to take up the Black Costume and he murders Norman causing Otto Octavius, who admired and respected Norman, to come after Peter and for Peter in his guilt to discard the Black suit which passes to Harry Osborn, making him Venom.

I dunno. I still think there's opportunity for Harry to be Venom. They'd be smart not to waste DeHaan on one single movie.

I agree it would be a waste to lose him, but we all know the Goblin title is going to end up on Norman, and he's going to need a reason to go after Peter Parker. They could use whatever happened with the parents too, but I hope they don't kill Harry to drive Norman out of the hospital.

Edited by Valo487

I agree it would be a waste to lose him, but we all know the Goblin title is going to end up on Norman, and he's going to need a reason to go after Peter Parker. They could use whatever happened with the parents too, but I hope they don't kill Harry to drive Norman out of the hospital.

I think the parents are actually a great way to take care of that. He finds out Peter Parker is Spider-Man, makes the connection to Richard Parker, and Norman needs to silence Peter before he can reveal something Norman thinks he knows. He doesn't HAVE to actually know anything. Norman just has to think he does. Or perhaps he goes after Peter because there's something in his blood that could cure him. After all, it's implied there was something weird about Peter before he was Spider-Man.