UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Minimates

youbastards

True story. I have absolutely enjoyed 3/4ths of the Spider-Man films, with Spider-Man 2 being one of my all time favorite movies. But I've never seen a single one in the theaters. For one reason or another I've just missed them all. And I usually regret it. This 5th one may be the first I actively skip.

Here's a hint: SM3 was NOT the one I didn't enjoy.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Amazing Spider-Man was a really bad movie, they completely missed the tone of the character. Peter is a social outcast, but he shouldn't be introverted and brooding. Uncle Ben's death was pretty much glossed over. The whole tone of the film was just way too dark. Not enjoyable in the least.

The Raimi films for all their faults at least got Peter and his place in the world right. The new movie made me feel like a director thought Spider-Man was an interesting concept that he could somehow improve on. So we're left with bits and pieces of the original mythos surrounded by bad fanfic. Won't be going anywhere near the sequel.

I won't tell anyone they're wrong for not liking ASM, because your opinion is your own, but I can tell you that to me I felt like ASM was closer to the Spider-Man I enjoy than any of the Raimi films. I thought they were alright at the time, but when I try to watch them now they are cringe-inducing for me. Spider-Man 2 was the best, but even it has spots I skip over. By the time Spider-Man 3 came and went I remember thinking that I'd rather never see another Spider-Man film than see one more from Raimi. I know a lot of people love what Raimi did, but I do not even remotely see what they see in those films.

I won't tell anyone they're wrong for not liking ASM, because your opinion is your own, but I can tell you that to me I felt like ASM was closer to the Spider-Man I enjoy than any of the Raimi films. I thought they were alright at the time, but when I try to watch them now they are cringe-inducing for me. Spider-Man 2 was the best, but even it has spots I skip over. By the time Spider-Man 3 came and went I remember thinking that I'd rather never see another Spider-Man film than see one more from Raimi. I know a lot of people love what Raimi did, but I do not even remotely see what they see in those films.

In what ways did you find it closer to Spider-Man? If it wasn't for the powers and name I wouldn't recognize it as Spider-Man at all.

Not trying to argue, just genuinely curious.

I thought at least ASM didn't fall into the camp trap that Raimi created. Some ways that ASM hit: ASM Spidey was snarky. ASM Peter was not the, uh, touched version that was Maguire (I still don't get what the Raimi movies were trying to do with Pete). Both Spidey film visions have ultimately been enjoyable to me, but I'll also say that neither film vision has fallen into line with MY vision. Which is fine. One thing I have learned when watching movie adaptations is that I have to leave my expectations at the door and understand that this is someone else's vision. This looks like a pretty exciting second chapter in this new vision.

I didn't like the approach that ASM took. What makes Spider-Man great is his relatability. He was a high school loser with problems just like everyone else. He wasn't rich, or famous, or a powerful other worldly being, or destined for greatness. The movie took that away by inferring that Peter's parents were involved in some way with him becoming Spider-Man.

To be fair, even Marvel has gotten tired of Peter. They killed him in the Ultimates Universe and replaced him there, they "killed" him in the 616 and replaced him with Doc Ock. And while a Peter revival will be inevitable, we are currently in a time where there is nothing of the original character in the actual comics. He's dead in Marvel's main offerings.

In ASM they changed the character. It's not the Peter we saw in the Silver Age, The Modern Age, or the Raimi movies. It's still Peter they just changed him. At least Sony didn't do anything major like, killing him, then replacing him.

Just my two centavos.

Edited by MiniMage

the spidey of ASM was very much the Spiderman I knew growing up but he probably had most in common with The Spectacular Spiderman cartoon which I think is still the best depiction of Spiderman in any medium to date and was a huge part of why I enjoyed the film

I enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man. It was the only movie I saw twice that year and I own the home video. My only problems with it were the costume and the Robert Pattinson clone they hired to fill it but in all honesty, both grew on me.

I think they nailed the poor, pathetic Peter who's a social misfit, taking a beating for the little guy. I wasn't keen on bringing back the mechanical web-shooters (bio-shooters make far more sense, personally) but at least they made Pete believably brilliant enough to build them himself. The backstory of his scientist father helped in that regard.

Essentially stealing the web-fluid from Oscorp is problematic but I'm guessing we may find out that Peter's father had everything to do with its creation so it may end up being poetic justice.

As for Raimi's films, I enjoyed them as well but it doesn't take a very critical eye to see when the silliness started seeping in. There's enough good material in every film to build a really great Spider-Man movie. It's just too bad it's spread around so much.

I never even caught that there was a Mecha Rhino in the trailer til I saw you guys mention it (I had even forgot Rhino was supposed to be in the movie) I think I'd really like that suit for Minimates. A small vehicle version would be pretty cool but I can see a "Transforming" type of minimate like the Robot Hulk working for Rhino

They haven't showed Ultimate Spiderman here in the Philippines yet. We still have Filipino-dubbed reruns of Spectacular Spiderman though. I loved that cartoon. Sadly, Marvel wanted to do their own thing and cancel the SSM cartoon. I suppose Marvel just doesn't know how to handle him as well as Sony. At least in terms of the cartoons.

Edited by MiniMage

I still haven't seen ASM. I just can't get beyond my annoyance that we were just supposed to pretend like they hadn't made basically the same damn movie less then a decade ago. It didn't help that every choice they seemed to make (mucking with the costume, using Gwen Stacy rather then Mary Jane, using the Lizard rather then the Goblin) was done more to distance themselves from the previous films. I simply don't think I can judge the film on its' own merits.

Whether or not you have any disappointment related to the first three movies, I recommend watching ASM with an open mind. Calling Andrew Garfield a Robert Pattinson knockoff is not really fair, as he's actually a talented actor, regardless of whether you think his Peter Parker is a justified reinterpretation of the character or not.

I will say that, yes, there was a curve of age involved as they came out, but all the Raimi movies I watch with some amount of feeling. Happy, sad, elation, excitement, annoyance, whatever.

The Sony version (is it fair to call ASM the Sony version?) had none of that. At all. I watched the entire thing with a deadpan expression and no emotional response at all. So, take that for what you will.

I will say that, yes, there was a curve of age involved as they came out, but all the Raimi movies I watch with some amount of feeling. Happy, sad, elation, excitement, annoyance, whatever.

The Sony version (is it fair to call ASM the Sony version?) had none of that. At all. I watched the entire thing with a deadpan expression and no emotional response at all. So, take that for what you will.

Agree. When the Uncle Ben death scene, THE DEFINING MOMENT OF THE CHARACTER, just elicits a "meh" you are missing the point entirely.

I've had defenders of this movie tell me the reason why it is better than the others is because Peter builds his own web-shooters, just like the comics. Seriously. That reason alone.

Organic web shooters NEVER bothered me. Seriously, the greatest sin any story, book, comic show or film can ever commit is to bore its audience. If I hate it, great! That's an emotion. But apathy, while maybe easier on the box office than hatred, makes for a worse story.