UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The speculation thread

"Five. Five people said they were stopping collecting Minimates because they couldn't get exclusives..."

But for those five that spoke up how many others feel the same or are on the fence, as people often like to point out this is a very small community so five is a good percentage especially when one of those five buys a LARGE amount of product.

Yeah, this is a small community, but I think most of the Minimates completists are in attendance, so I think I can safely say that's almost everybody. (Also, I don't believe a single one of those five people when they say a slightly more hard-to-get Minimate will make them stop. And I mean that with respect and admiration for their tenacity. :thumbsup: ) But if five, ten, fifteen, twenty people stop buying Minimates because of KINDA hard-to-get TRU exclusives, 2-3,000 CONTINUE to buy them BECAUSE there are Minimates in Toys R Us, whereas they wouldn't otherwise. And if we didn't have Toys R Us, NONE of you would be buying Minimates (or you'd be buying far fewer, because there would BE fewer, or none).

"Uh... we aren't selling out to Disney.... "

Not yet perhaps, but Disney has a track record of Acquiring companies, they are looking to own/control all forms of media, so yeah you've been working WITH them for years soon you may be working FOR them.

I am 99.9 percent sure that Disney will not be buying a comic book distribution company, even the world's largest, or their small toy-producing arm any time soon. But you would obviously know better, being a Disney insider, apparently.

"I have a great respect for completists..."

Do you?, For the record I am not a completest , I was simply stating(like many others) my personal opinion, the hope that these new sets are not Peter pan/Disney cartoon mates(which they now seem very likely to be) Im all for branching out to new lines and the hope that that broadens the interest in minimates in general even if they are not mates im interested in buying myself, but i am not so short sited to see a potential future where Disney mates DO take the place of a series of Minimates we may have wanted, because you have put all of your manpower on it. its not far fetched to think that a company that just spent 4.5 billion to buy Lucasfilm could buy up DST or more likely Diamond in a heartbeat. Uncle Walt talked of his plan to control all forms of Media years ago and they have done pretty well with that plan.

Oh, is that it? Okay, never mind.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just got back from the mall and found that the Disney Store there closed! On December 23rd! How does the store that primarily sells Disney Princess junk go out of business two days before Christmas? It's crazy! And I never even got to take advantage of those sweet, sweet closeout deals. Anyway, I'm now totally against Disney Store exclusives. Boo! Boo, I say!

All the Disney stores I visited as well (Grand Rapids, Milwaukee, Indianapolis) also disappeared. This along with the removal of Waldenbooks, Wizards of the Coast, Kay Bee Toys, and Suncoast....I hate going to the mall nowadays. :angry:

All the Disney stores I visited as well (Grand Rapids, Milwaukee, Indianapolis) also disappeared. This along with the removal of Waldenbooks, Wizards of the Coast, Kay Bee Toys, and Suncoast....I hate going to the mall nowadays. :angry:

Milwaukee still has one at Southridge, just not at Mayfair.

Disney sells SO much product through the mass market that there's little if any point of distinction between that and the stuff they peddle through the specialty market.

What they need is a product that the mass market big-box retailers haven't been flooded with.

Like Peter Pan Minimates! :woot:

So I just got back from the mall and found that the Disney Store there closed! On December 23rd! How does the store that primarily sells Disney Princess junk go out of business two days before Christmas? It's crazy! And I never even got to take advantage of those sweet, sweet closeout deals. Anyway, I'm now totally against Disney Store exclusives. Boo! Boo, I say!

And with that... there goes my best chance to get the Agent Venom Disney Exclusive!

Damn you Disney store and damn you Hellpoop, why didn't you purchase more Disney Princess merchandise to keep the store a float. :angry:

Zach rules.

First day back to work this week and I go straight to this thread for infotainment and Zach gives this awesome line! Made my day.

Yeah he's great, a real nice representative for his company to personally attack someone, in a speculation thread no less.

And with that... there goes my best chance to get the Agent Venom Disney Exclusive!

Damn you Disney store and damn you Hellpoop, why didn't you purchase more Disney Princess merchandise to keep the store a float. :angry:

Yeah Pete, sorry about that. I'm going to be in the area of another DS tomorrow, and I'll hopefully get a chance to stop in. And there's one not too far away that I occasionally stop in, though I was there just a few days ago and they only had the box set.

And believe me, there's more then enough princess stuff in my house for a dozen Disney Stores. :rolleyes:

Zach rules.

First day back to work this week and I go straight to this thread for infotainment and Zach gives this awesome line! Made my day.

Yeah he's great, a real nice representative for his company to personally attack someone, in a speculation thread no less.

I sure don't see any attack happening here. he did offer up some defense to the slightly disparaging statements you made but beyond that it hardly looks like some kind of unprovoked personal attack. I guess I've come to learn when you put YOUR opinion out there for the world to review, you should steel yourself for some response to it and keep in mind everyone out there may not be on the same page as you.

Edited by BannersID

I sure don't see any attack happening here. he did offer up some defense to the slightly disparaging statements you made but beyond that it hardly looks like some kind of unprovoked personal attack. I guess I've come to learn when you put YOUR opinion out there for the world to review, you should steel yourself for some response to it and keep in mind everyone out there may not be on the same page as you.

+ 1

You post your opinion, people will disagree... It's what the internet does.

What's Fonzie like, everybody? Now, we're all going to just act like a bunch of Fonzies.

Runs off to find a shark...

T.

If Disney just paid $4.05 billion for Lucasfilm, would they have any cash left to acquire Diamond? I know they've got deep pockets, but if Lucasfilm is the Lamborghini then DST is the air freshener.

And Peter Pan Minimates might be replacing these rare gems:

post-160-0-20167700-1357156567_thumb.jpg

You have to decide what you want outah Zach: do you want a company man towing a company line with dry corporate speak or a contributing board member who happens to work at DST? Cause we can't keep askin' him to relax and feel like part of the gang, then complain when he does so.

.....I guess I've come to learn when you put YOUR opinion out there for the world to review, you should steel yourself for some response to it and keep in mind everyone out there may not be on the same page as you.

I'm with you on this I really don't care what his opinion of my opinion is.

This thread looks like it could use someone with a fair amount of time on their hands to sort through the mud and compile What we know and what we don't know. Then start from the compiled point. Or since the Info release is supposed to be this week I guess waiting works to.

^ My 2 coppers.

Its probably to close to info release to ask, but Zach with this new line will the vehicle be a whole new mold or will be an updated of a previously release design?

We know there are molds for a few different cars:

Delorean, Trans Am, Halo Vehicle (Jeep thing) (forgive my ignorrance on what their vehicle is), Speed Racer Cars, Munsters Speedster

Ships

Pirate Ships,,

Aircraft

Flying Halo Aircraft,

and Other

Terminator drones

^I'm sure I left some out since my MM knowledge is less than stellar (its only a year old).

Since we know there is a vehicle it might help in the creative guessing to know if the upcoming vehicle will be a new type of mold or a remake on an old one. However, if the response is it is a remake of one out then we are not much further along other than to say it won't be something new like a balloon, flying carpet, submarine, Van, Camper, VW Bug, and can subsequently eliminate speculations on products with those vehicles.

But You felt the need to comment didnt you tdt

Actually I felt the need to MODERATE it, i.e. shut down the whining and get the thread back on track, but was trying to be moderately subtle about it! - I guess that went right over your head? (That question is rhetorical you do not have to answer it.)

T.

I thought Matt made some valid points and respect the fact that he wanted to voice them.

But come on... let's not get all arsey about it, Matt's a good guy of long standing here, who contributes a lot and has helped a bunch of us out countless times.

Yeah Pete, sorry about that. I'm going to be in the area of another DS tomorrow, and I'll hopefully get a chance to stop in. And there's one not too far away that I occasionally stop in, though I was there just a few days ago and they only had the box set.

Thanks buddy, appreciate it!

And believe me, there's more then enough princess stuff in my house for a dozen Disney Stores. :rolleyes:

Ha... you put :rolleyes: , but you meant :wub: