UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spiderman #700

MiniFiend UK

Ok no spoilers but the plot for Spidey #700 has been leaked for a little while now and from what I've read about I'm like WTF. come on Marvel you got it wrong in a number of ppls eyes with the whole devil wiping ppls memory of Peter being Spidey but for me this is even worse. I have read Spidey comics on and off for nearly forty years (I'm 42) and while little kids in primary school read penguin and puffin books I was reading the black and white marvel reprints.

Maybe its me getting old and jaded but the outline For Spidey #700 is one of the worst idea's I have seen yet in a comic and I hope to what ever gods are out there this gets dropped quick.

I honestly blame the Marvel movies for this crap, they have done fantastic business for Marvel but I think they realised the Movie U hasn't a thing to do with the mainstream Marvel U and they are trying to to make it all fit together. Not that the things that happen in Spidey have a single thing to do with the Movies. I just think they are scrambling to attract the new movie fans across the board.

ok ranting and venting over.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read the leak. That is awful. :yucky:

I'm in my mid-thirties and have all but given up getting new comics. I used to do the weekly LCS pilgrimage with my buddies until the rising cost of the books got to be too much, plus I bought an iPad and just do the digital route now. I pick up books I've read previously and wait for fanboys to bash or praise the new stuff before clicking the purchase button. It also helps not having Wizard around anymore (as fun as those times were) with their "THIS WILL SHAKE THE STATUS QUO OF BOOK X", "SHOCKING TWIST" or "THE TOP 5 BOOKS YOU SHOULD BE READING" blurbs they crammed down our little throats every issue- ultimately having those stories retconned or 'imaginary tales'. It got old fast. Miss the humor, not the "articles".

At this point, I cherry pick what I enjoy and ignore the rest. Keeps me from stressing out over something I have no control over. It's not worth it. :happy:

I'll give Dan Slott this much, that is a ballsy career-risking move, and at least someone is making tough calls and not playing it safe these days. Not gonna bother with it or Superior as i'm not a Spidey fan, but i'm sure proud of him for doing it.

I was more upset with Ultimate Death of Spider-man; Ultimate Pete was so great.

I read the last 3 pages from #700 and no. What is Dan doing!?! 698 and 699 received terrible reviews; he knew no one wants this! WHY OH GOD WHY. What if the leak was all BS and is the fake ending so Dan can troll us? Oh god I am in denial. Even my mom said it was freaking stupid.......

I dont read new comics anymore other than picking up the very occassional trade (1 a year). I did read OMD and BND and although I didn't agree with the decisions made in OMD we all knew it was going to happen somehow.

That said, I saw this topic and googled the leak.

It actually makes me quite sad....which is ridiculous when i think about it rationally. I'm not usually one for hyperbole, but I can understand why people are upset.

I can vividly remember my first Spider-Man figure. I bought it with my Xmas money when I was about 5. I didn't really know who he was, but there was no doubt in my mind that he was a hero. The comics followed, and then the 90s cartoon some years later. And again, without too much hyperbole, I can honestly say a little part of who I am as a person, at least morally, was because of my early exposure to Spidey and his horrible life lesson learnt. Without him I may have ended up in a life of petty crime :lol::ninja:

I'm hoping that this isn't permanant, because it actually upsets me to think that when/if I have kids, the Spidey that they'll inevitably read and love wont be Peter.

The death threats to Dan Slott are obviously OTT to say the least, but people are invested in these characters.

Just been reading around about Spidey #700 and they say to look out for Avenging Spiderman 15.1 for more on the upcoming changes so a quick google search came up with marvel released costume sketchs of the new look and as we have all prob seen it from the Marvel Now promo art it looks alot like the costume from the Ult Spidey cartoon. I thought originally thats all the change was and to be honest I had no problem with it. It seems there is more then just that going on, so the rest I will put in a spoiler tag.

So it seems Spidey is now going the bad ass route, the costume has talons for gods sake!. We already have a vicious Spidey he's called Scarlet Spider and to be honest its a cool comic. This change is really pissing me off.

The-Superior-Spider-Man_Design.jpg

I, too, read the leak and don't necessarily like what they're doing with Spider-Man, but...

You gotta give them credit for trying something new. For all the complaints that all Marvel does is rehash the past, this is a great example of them trying something completely new and going off into uncharted territory. Personally, I stopped casually buying Spider-Man books after OMD because I liked the marriage and didn't want to see it end in such a stupid manner (and honestly, most of those stories in the first year or so could have been told with a married Spidey) so this new change doesn't affect me at all. However, I applaud them for shattering the internet in a way that I haven't seen since the height of Civil War.

Here's to a strange, new 12 issues before the status quo returns to normal.

I, too, read the leak and don't necessarily like what they're doing with Spider-Man, but...

You gotta give them credit for trying something new. For all the complaints that all Marvel does is rehash the past, this is a great example of them trying something completely new and going off into uncharted territory. Personally, I stopped casually buying Spider-Man books after OMD because I liked the marriage and didn't want to see it end in such a stupid manner (and honestly, most of those stories in the first year or so could have been told with a married Spidey) so this new change doesn't affect me at all. However, I applaud them for shattering the internet in a way that I haven't seen since the height of Civil War.

Here's to a strange, new 12 issues before the status quo returns to normal.

100% agree with this. After all the nonsense of Marvel in the past few years, with them and DC playing "catch" with each other, it's almost refreshing to see something so...different.

I'll give Dan Slott this much, that is a ballsy career-risking move, and at least someone is making tough calls and not playing it safe these days. Not gonna bother with it or Superior as i'm not a Spidey fan, but i'm sure proud of him for doing it.

I was more upset with Ultimate Death of Spider-man; Ultimate Pete was so great.

Have you checked out the latest series of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man? I'm loving the Miles Morales character - definitely a throw back to the Spidey tales or yore. Plus, they've continued looking in on some of the supporting cast from Peter's world.

As for #700, I'm a long time Spidey fan and have only picked up a few issues since OMD - all for other characters, none for Spidey (Ben Reilly, Anti-Venom, Venom and Scarlet Spider). As a result, I know I'm not the target audience but this gimmick seems very cliche and overly poor. The Scarlet Spider book has done a fantastic job of giving the world a "darker" Spider-Man and the Flash Thompson Venom fills a similar role. If you're looking for the youthful optimism of the original Spidey stories, I strongly suggest the early issues of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man with the new Spidey or the Blue Beetle comic that was out before the New 52. As for 616, I think the character is tainted. How does one preach "great power, great responsibility" and then make a deal with the devil as soon as things go south? At that point, you've lost any moral principles you claim to have - maybe this new Spider-Man is a better reflection of that premise.

Honestly... why are you all so upset? Do you really think this is going to be the status quo for any significant length of time, any more then any other "change" that's come down the pike? This is what Marvel and DC do: stunts and gimmicks to get us all worked up and talking (and probably buying). That's all that the New 52 is, and that's all that Marvel Now is. And we all have to realize that Joe Quesada and Dan Didio love it when we are outraged. It's what they live for.

As for this story, personally I think it's intriguing. But, then again, I've been reading (and quite liking) Dan Slott's Spider-Man, and this is the culmination of a lot of things he's been doing for several years. It's a logical progression for where he's taken Doc Ock. Slott's earned my trust; frankly, I'm more annoyed that we're stuck with more terrible Humberto Ramos art.:yucky:

Even though I'm not reading the book, I'm annoyed because that type of plot device belongs in Fantastic Four or X-Men, not Spider-Man. It is just another example of Marvel editorial not having clear understanding of the character of Spider-Man and the supporting characters and villains.

And it isn't like they haven't had opportunity to learn from their mistakes over the years:

- Clone Saga

- Sins Past

- The Other

- One More Day

Marvel has a history of experimenting with Spider-Man stories, and having it backfire, yet they haven't learned from their mistakes, so this just seems like another "here we go again" scenario.

How is this a story that doesn't belong in Spider-Man? It's a science-based story, and Spider-Man is a science-based character. It's a story about identity, and surely that's one of the central tenants the Spider-Man mythos are built upon. Moreover, it's a logical progression of the Doctor Octopus character. Slott has taken him back to his roots- as a man driven by having a brilliant mind trapped in an inadequate body- and run with it. He's put Ock in an iron lung and made him more dangerous then ever.

The big question is: How many collectors here are going to want to add a Superior Spider-Man Minimate to their shelves after this?

Uhh......i uhm.....definetely not.....i would like....prefer to kick a....puppy than buy it...yeah. I like the costume okay? Don't judge me! *goes into a corner and cries*

Honestly... why are you all so upset? Do you really think this is going to be the status quo for any significant length of time, any more then any other "change" that's come down the pike? This is what Marvel and DC do: stunts and gimmicks to get us all worked up and talking (and probably buying). That's all that the New 52 is, and that's all that Marvel Now is. And we all have to realize that Joe Quesada and Dan Didio love it when we are outraged. It's what they live for.

The larger gimmick-laden, consequence-free nature of comic "events" is the thing that bugs me about comics today. This specific issue is just one more example. Sure, there was some of this going back to the earlier days of comics (when death didn't always equate with finality), but that's all comics seem to be nowadays. Like "What If?" not only in the sense of, "let the writers come up with the wackiest, most "shocking" story they can think of and we'll implement it," but also in the sense of it not really mattering very much.

But I guess that's the way to sell comics nowadays.

Edited by karamazov80