UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ermm.gif So these two are actually shipping around the same time? Is this happening because production numbers on the solicitation of the first ship were unexpectedly low?

And these ships have never been Minimate-ized, but if you're waiting for us to make a Minimates vehicle of a ship that has never been made in ANY medium, you might as well stop right there. We're HOPING this sells well, and this is the most famous Trek ship in the fleet. I can't see us rollign the dice on an untested ship.

You misunderstand. I'm not talking about a Minimate-ized Runabout. I'm talking about a Runabout that would be offered as part of DST's regular line of ships, the one that so far has only included starships. A recent Q&A requesting a Runabout got me thinking about cross-marketing such a ship. Kinda like offering a statue of a ThunderTank that just happens to accomodate Minimates. It would be cool if a future release of an electronic (or not) Runabout just happened to accommodate Trek Minimates.

And yes, I realize that the Runabout is an untested ship for DST but if you're gonna give it a whirl, you might as well maximize your market. KnowhutImean? wink.png

I'm very disappointed by today's AskDST #200 where they say they *currently* have nothing past wave 1 planned for the relaunch of Trek minimates! I have already pre-ordered *cases* of these, and I need to know this isn't just going to be a "one-and-done" line! I sincerely hope wave 2 at least and wave 3 preferrably have been at least planned and preferrably proto-typed!

ermm.gif So these two are actually shipping around the same time? Is this happening because production numbers on the solicitation of the first ship were unexpectedly low?

We always planned to do a couple of exclusive variants -- we need to, to spread out the cost of all the new tooling (similar to our electronic ship line). So both ships were prototyped, and since they share a lot of parts they were manufactured at the same time, and when the exclusive was released was really entirely up to the retailer.

You misunderstand. I'm not talking about a Minimate-ized Runabout. I'm talking about a Runabout that would be offered as part of DST's regular line of ships, the one that so far has only included starships. A recent Q&A requesting a Runabout got me thinking about cross-marketing such a ship. Kinda like offering a statue of a ThunderTank that just happens to accomodate Minimates. It would be cool if a future release of an electronic (or not) Runabout just happened to accommodate Trek Minimates.

And yes, I realize that the Runabout is an untested ship for DST but if you're gonna give it a whirl, you might as well maximize your market. KnowhutImean? wink.png

I know what you meant about the runabout, I was talking about your "give me a ship and a figure I don't already have in my collection" comment. If you're talking about your Minimates collection, these ships are new. If you meant your Star Trek toy ship collection, everything we ever make in Minimates form is going to exist in some other form, I can pretty much guarantee it.

And I'm not going to say we've never considered making an electronic vehicle that is in scale to Minimates -- we have -- but the ship would need to be worthy of the slot and at the exact right size and scale for us to do it. Not sure how high the runabout is on our list.

I'm very disappointed by today's AskDST #200 where they say they *currently* have nothing past wave 1 planned for the relaunch of Trek minimates! I have already pre-ordered *cases* of these, and I need to know this isn't just going to be a "one-and-done" line! I sincerely hope wave 2 at least and wave 3 preferrably have been at least planned and preferrably proto-typed!

We've certainly talked about it, but I don't think we've gotten that far, no.

While the Mirror, Mirror stuff may just be a variant repaint (mostly), at least it means some one out there, an established retailer, has some faith in the Star Trek relaunch. I like to see it as a positive note for Trek 'Mates.

I was a little surprised they don't have anything ready beyond Series 1 as well but I see this as a test. Rather than an all-TOS line like the one they previously offered, they're mixing things up in hopes that everyone finds something they like. I think it will work but one of the worst things a manufacturer can do is remind consumers that future product depends on sales of the current product. That just erodes consumer confidence and negatively impacts sales.

As for me, I will buy every 2-pack they offer, regardless of how long the line lasts. Trek has the potential to be huge. Give it an animated series on Cartoon Network and a live-action series on CBS and you've got a line that could rival Marvel. As it is, the franchise continues to air in syndication and the new films aren't letting the property fade into pop culture obscurity a bit. There are plenty of popular characters and viable vehicles to bring to the Minimates brand.

Honestly I'd be surprised if DST didn't have something waiting in the wings. The simplicity of Star Trek's aesthetic allows for a quick, cost-effective turnaround should the first series sell through quickly. If the demand's there, I have no doubt DST will satisfy it.

And I'm not going to say we've never considered making an electronic vehicle that is in scale to Minimates -- we have -- but the ship would need to be worthy of the slot and at the exact right size and scale for us to do it. Not sure how high the runabout is on our list.

I only mentioned the Runabout because it was mentioned in a recent Q&A. I think you could get away with a ship that's less visually interesting on the outside (like the classic Shuttlecraft) but could offer detail on the inside for added display value. Or maybe a ship that already looks "Minimate-ized" (like the Shuttlecraft from TNG) which coincidentally mimics the super-deformed aesthetic without sacrificing authenticity.

Long story short: If DST ever plans on offering Shuttlecraft in its electronic line of ships, make them with Minimates in mind.

Big Bad Toy Store has the Mirror Mirror Enterprise up for pre-order. So is this not an Entertainment Earth exclusive?

Retailers can buy from each other; BBTS carries MOTUC figures, for instance.

I missed the Mirror Mirror set, i like Mirror Kirk more than plain old average Kirk, I like the dinged ship, i think we know where this statement is going...

These variants would be a lot easier to justify purchasing if they came with decals for different starships. I doubt the Constellation and Commodore Decker are ever going to make it into this vehicle category (although I hope I'm wrong) but that would be the best way to get collectors to build a fleet.

Personally I'm most interested in the I.S.S. Enterprise. If I get another it will probably be the AFX exclusive if only to get the Tribbles.

And I have to say I do appreciate the level of authenticity on these ships, especially the modified saucer, nacelles, and larger navigational dish on the Mirror Universe Enterprise. You can see the love.

Now I'm wondering when we'll see the Enterprise from "The Menagerie" with Kirk in dress uniform. That's all that left, correct?

Edited by MisterPL

Who knows, considering the Mirror Enterprise is tooled like the Pilot version, only with Terran Empire logo's, maybe we'll see a Pilot Version Enterprise w/ Capt. Pike and maybe a different capt. chair... Any chance of this Zach???

Lobsterman, on 25 Mar 2013 - 16:29, said:

Sooo.... another $30 to get $5 in craft pompoms you can buy at a hobby store? Kind of milking it...

Consider it an option, like Winkerbean did. Obviously it's NICE if people want to buy both/all three, but we'd be happy if everybody just bought one or the other. If this convinces a fan of the silly side of Trek to buy the ship when they wouldn't necessarily buy the standard or Mirror version, it helps the line as a whole, making more Trek 'Mates possible in the long run.

So we're milking it in the sense that we have to re-use the tooling to make the exclusives to generate the necessary orders to warrant production. Without exclusives, key retailers might not be as supportive, and this ship might not exist. So while I can see how some might see this as opportunistic, it's really how toys for the small-but-dedicated Star Trek fan base get made nowadays.

Also, milk is delicious. If there is more milk we can get out of something, and we can add chocolate to it, we're gonna do that.

Edited by Zach Oat