UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 43? - Spidey Comic-based

fwoosheyman

It's bizarre how this wave just "works;"... a B-list hero...

I'm sorry, whaaaaaaat?!

Daredevil's NO B-lister! :verymad:

When you're known by the general public as "That blind guy Ben Affleck played in a s**t movie." you're a b-lister. He's kinda on the same level as Ghost Rider. And Ghost Rider is clearly a b-lister. Sorry man. Childhood ruined I know.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with that. "A"-list characters, in my opinion, are a very small group--Spidey, Hulk, Wolvie, Cap, Iron Man. Thor is borderline. Not sure I would include any other X-Men in that category, either. No shame in being a 2nd tier character, though. :D

Ok, mine must be messed up then. The back left side is okish (still a little gap) but there's a weird angle and the gap increases to very noticeable the further you go to the back right side.

Do they still do replacement parts? I'm not sure if it's the head or mask that is the problem.

If DST is unable to help you out, I can send you a replacement mask when I get my hands on TrU 13.

Ok, mine must be messed up then. The back left side is okish (still a little gap) but there's a weird angle and the gap increases to very noticeable the further you go to the back right side.

Do they still do replacement parts? I'm not sure if it's the head or mask that is the problem.

If DST is unable to help you out, I can send you a replacement mask when I get my hands on TrU 13.

Cool, thanks! I just saw the pics posted on Minimatedatabase for the new DD Mate and my head/mask is definitely messed up.

I agree with that. "A"-list characters, in my opinion, are a very small group--Spidey, Hulk, Wolvie, Cap, Iron Man. Thor is borderline. Not sure I would include any other X-Men in that category, either. No shame in being a 2nd tier character, though. :D

I'd say the X-Men, collectively, are A-Listers... as the team package. As are the Fantastic Four, in that same light. Mr. Fantastic and Cyclops alone aren't A-List, but their teams are.

Individually though, yes, only Wolverine is.

Wolverine, Storm, Jean and Cyclops are kind-of the A-List team though. The face of the team in the mainstream, as it were. Every other member is a floater, that while popular, can just as easily be taken along for the ride or left out completely.

A case could be made that Rogue and Gambit also qualified in the 90s, but their mainstream popularity has slipped off in recent years... after being poorly represented or completely omitted in any number of Cartoons and Movies over the last decade or so. (Gambit moreso than Rogue, but still Rogue a bit too.)

Angel, Beast and Iceman at times get extra special privileges above and beyond later recruits... just being originals. So you see them pop up a -bit- more than say a Colossus or a Nightcrawler... But all three still can just as easily be left out of the picture.

Edited by Gillbob316

Geez, you guys have high qualifications for the A list. I consider most heroes that have carried their own title for several years A listers, as well as characters that your average person might recognize. Daredevil, Thing, Cyclops, Rogue are all still A listers to me. I suppose I would consider the B list to be more like Havok, Falcon, Black Knight, Psylocke. B listers are still well known and have a fan base but are mostly known only in the comic community.

Geez, you guys have high qualifications for the A list. I consider most heroes that have carried their own title for several years A listers, as well as characters that your average person might recognize. Daredevil, Thing, Cyclops, Rogue are all still A listers to me. I suppose I would consider the B list to be more like Havok, Falcon, Black Knight, Psylocke. B listers are still well known and have a fan base but are mostly known only in the comic community.

Black Knight is B-list? I mean, he's got his cult following, but has he even appeared in anything in the last 5 years? (Not that that's my standard, just wondering)

A-list is way too much of a company posterboy game these days. For a while i wouldn't have even said Cap was A-list (for obvious reasons). Marvel's got their Big 6 in Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Spidey and to a lesser effect Thor and Wolverine (his popularity is fading, i like to think), DC has their Big 3 in Bats, Superman, and GL (lack of Wonder Woman is killing me).

Love me some Daredevil, he was one of the first heroes i was exposed to as a kid, and his new series is great, but A-list is a stretch.

Thing and Torch might be A-list, for our purposes. They're movie stars, and Classic Marvel.

Rogue is probably not an A-lister. Maybe if the movie Rogue had looked like comic Rogue. Cyclops is, though.

I think our Best of Series sums up the A-list, but Hulk, Cyke, Torch and maybe a couple others qualify.

Can I just say that I *HATE* "this guy's A-list, this guy's B-list" arguments? It's not like there's parties Spider-Man is getting invited to and Daredevil is not. I think these terms should be permanently banned from nerd subculture. I also think "playing in Marvel/DC/Star Wars/whatever's sandbox" should be banned.

Anyway, Karamozov's post listing the Marvel A-listers is exactly right (first time for everything! :biggrin:).

Can I just say that I *HATE* "this guy's A-list, this guy's B-list" arguments? It's not like there's parties Spider-Man is getting invited to and Daredevil is not. I think these terms should be permanently banned from nerd subculture. I also think "playing in Marvel/DC/Star Wars/whatever's sandbox" should be banned.

Anyway, Karamozov's post listing the Marvel A-listers is exactly right (first time for everything! :biggrin:).

:rolleyes:

To me, A-list has always been who the general public can immediately give the names of if you ask who their idea of a superhero is. B-list is then the comic-geek's "A-list" so to speak.

Not like I was trying to say it makes sense or was "right" or anything, just that Daredevil isn't someone the general public would recognize. :unsure:

Throw in the FF and you've got it about right TM2. It's strictly a matter of non-geek cultural penetration: who does the non-comics buying public recognise and who will a relative recognise as something little Timmy wants if Timmy not there. Thor and Iron Man are even recent additions to that list. It's the reasoning behind the endless silly variants of Spider-Man or Batman that drive we older collectors nuts. It has nothing to with in continuity importance, it's purely a sales thing. And it's fluid. FF are slipping back because of lack of recent big media exposure, and may make the B-list if a movie relaunch isn't soon coming. GR and DD have made movies, but neither really took off and are stuck in B-ville. Hank, Jan, Clint, 'Tasha, and T'Challa are all on the rise with the recent cartoon/movie exposure. Hawkeye and Black Widow are on the verge of high B status, the other three may make low B if the cartoon continues to get high ratings. Vision, Cage, and Iron Fist can't seem to break out of C status. And just having an X somewhere on your costume puts you in somewhere in the B's.

It's not "fair", but that's just kinda how it is.

I've used to think that anyone in that first wave of Toybiz Marvel figures way back when was an A-lister. But that was back when you could get a stack of comics at any grocery or drug store. Oh the times, they are a-changin'.

:rolleyes:

To me, A-list has always been who the general public can immediately give the names of if you ask who their idea of a superhero is. B-list is then the comic-geek's "A-list" so to speak.

Not like I was trying to say it makes sense or was "right" or anything, just that Daredevil isn't someone the general public would recognize. :unsure:

I wasn't trying to dis anyone or anything; it's just that the term gets thrown around so much that it gets on my nerves. Heck, even the characters within the comics talk about which "list" they are. That's what deserves the rolleyes emoticon! :)

I agree with your basic definition of the difference between the A- and B- lists, incidentally, TTF. And the C-List are the guys that are fan favorites and crucial parts of their given universes, but not popular enough to sustain their own titles for very long (think Hawkeye, Blue Beetle, and most of the X-Men individually). See, now you've got me doing it!

... so: Daredevil's arms. Anybody else have a paint issue with it peeling off? :unsure:

Not as yet, no. Stop taking him in the bathtub!

An apology.........

I didn't exactly cheer from the rooftop when this wave was announced ,the choice of characters weren't to my liking & all I(thought I ) could see was a bunch of moulded parts lacking in paint detail .

I've finally been able to study them today....the logistics of getting my stuff from the US necessitates that I get a bulk lot every six weeks or so.

In a nutshell I was wrong & I'm sorry about my previous ill-judged comments.

I'll concentrate on the one character ......JJJ....& I have to 'do' him piece by piece in the shape he comes out of the packet....why? That's the way it is with me.

The feet are unpainted black plastic,the hands are unpainted 'flesh' plastic ,the upperarms are unpainted grey plastic.

Every other piece is painted(tampoed)in some way. :ohmy: You've seen the tie ? Magnificent detail when you consider that there was a time in my 'supposed good ol'days' that a tie would just be painted on . The newspapers are just incredible ....you can read the date at the top of the front-page(April 1). Alternative arms & jacket as a bonus make this the best executed Minimate civilian I have ever seen. I was under the misapprehension that this figure would be a mere update......... how wrong I was ! Subtle details like a 'flesh' painted neck, moulded rolled-up sleeves & the beautiful facial expression are the type of things that make a good Minimate great . In conclusion I'd like to say that this Minimate is perhaps one of the finest Minimates ever made & the wave it comes from is a revelation . I've occasionally been misunderstood when it comes to what I've said in the past about the unlikelihood that a potential new Carnage couldn't better the old one because of tampo-limitation .....this proves that it could be done ,I look forward to seeing it.

So there you have it,I was wrong & I'm pleased that I was.

Edited by buttheadsmate