UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 43? - Spidey Comic-based

fwoosheyman

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all a bit confusing. to be honest, i feel there are too many x-titles at the moment. The 90's, for all it's faults, seem to have prided itself on linear story telling. Each x-book had it's own set of characters & if a character appeared in another title for the month, it was absent from its own. Of course, this was not adhered to 100% - but it seemed like an effort was at least being made.

With Storm, Cyclops, Wolverine and Emma each appearing in at least 2 or 3 books each - keeping track of them & what 'reality' they are in is damn hard work.

I'd like to think that Astonishing was non-canon, just because it would save my brain from trying to figure out how all these stories fit together. Unfortunately, major event arcs in Astonishing have been represented and responded to in all the other major x-titles.

SPOILER:

The resurrection of Colossus; the return of Shadowcat; Breakworld, just to name a few.

But, with Forge was recently seen playing with Ghost Box technology, Scott currently galavanting about in parallel universes, and 5 (five!!!) monthly X-Men titles (not including forces, factors, etc. . . ), well - who the hell know's what's going on.

[/rant]

Edited by Nessex

"Death" in Marvel would be your standard presumed state of being no longer alive, based on the available evidence. At this point everyone knows that if you wear a costume and fight crime, or commit crime, then you will be ressurected/revealed to have not died after all at some future point. There was even a tie in book in the recent Fear Itself crossover where a civilian commened on how unfair it was that heroes and villains always come back, but the normal people stay dead.

Currently, if the Ghost Box story is "in", then Forge is supposed to be dead and Scott and Hank killed him. (yes, you read that right) But it's after the Breakworld story, after Whedon left the book, that's where it starts to get fuzzy on which stories in Astonishing "really happened" and which stories did not.

This really wouldn't be an issue except, well, they killed of Forge in one of those stories.

The X-Men confronted him at his complex on Wundagore Mountain over his apparent role in an inter-dimensional invasion of Earth.[2] After following a trail of mysteriously genetically-created mutants and death, the X-Men finally track Forge down, who revealed his true madness. He endeavored to save the world from the Annexation, an invasion from a parallel world on the other side of the Ghost Box, the trans-dimensional teleporter. He planned this by sending the X-Men to the parallel universe that was home to the Ghost Boxes to destroy them before the Annexation could begin. The X-Men tried to talk Forge down but he rebuked them and furthered his madness by forcibly opening the Ghost Box, risking all life on Earth. Thanks to the assistance of Abigail Brand and Beast, a world-destroying laser was shot into the opening of the Ghost Box and before everything could be destroyed, Ororo offered Forge a chance to come back with them. Forge only screamed of his rejection by Ororo and she let him go. Forge remained in his complex as it was destroyed, and seemingly perished in the ensuing laser blast.

Didn't actually 'see' him die. He is not dead. Just on vacation.

Got these last night for a birthday present, and I have to say I'm impressed. They're not the most exciting character choices, but they are all well done. The details really put these over the top - the two heads for Sin-Eater, the cheekbones on Daredevil's mask that line up perfectly with his head, and especially the two newspapers that Jameson comes with.

And bonus points to Diamond for putting an actual story on the newspaper. When I squint really hard, I can read all about Tony Stark's press conference in 2pt type.

I found (for myself) a solution. A story called Kirin Hobby (www.kirinhobby.com/) has either the JJJ/SHIELD or Aunt May/SHIELD sets for $7.95. I ordered what I wanted. I don't know how many they have, 'though I did email that and find out that they don't have these on next week's shipping invoice so they're hoping they'll get them the week after.

I wanted to say thanks for the tip on these. They seem like a nice little store and were very pleasant when i contacted them about a different product. Plus they had some older troop builders at regular prices.

And, FYI, they appear to be out of SHIELD agents now. And Hand ninjas. And Sentinels.

"Death" in Marvel would be your standard presumed state of being no longer alive, based on the available evidence. At this point everyone knows that if you wear a costume and fight crime, or commit crime, then you will be ressurected/revealed to have not died after all at some future point. There was even a tie in book in the recent Fear Itself crossover where a civilian commened on how unfair it was that heroes and villains always come back, but the normal people stay dead.

Currently, if the Ghost Box story is "in", then Forge is supposed to be dead and Scott and Hank killed him. (yes, you read that right) But it's after the Breakworld story, after Whedon left the book, that's where it starts to get fuzzy on which stories in Astonishing "really happened" and which stories did not.

This really wouldn't be an issue except, well, they killed of Forge in one of those stories.

The X-Men seem to me (and I'm speaking almost completely from the outside, as a non-X fan whom has only read the Astonishing stuff and the R&F of the Shi'ar in the last decade) to be even more of a continuity mess then usual. They've taken one of the more interesting ideas from Morrison's days- mutants as a culture- and made it... not so interesting. But, again, that's coming from having not read the comics.

I did read the Ellis Astonishing book, and I agree with you, Miry... not so good. Ellis is a guy that is almost always a bad fit with established characters, because he doesn't want to write them as they are, but as he wants them to be, meaning the characters always have to service his stories, not the other way around. I'm not a continuity nut, but it bugs me when writers are allowed to just make the characters do and say whatever they want, whether it jibes with what's already been established or not. It's sloppy, and it's arrogant, and it seems to me that a lot of writers at Marvel these days suffer from this-- Ellis, Millar, and the granddaddy of miswriting characters, Mr. Brian Michael Bendis. :angry:

I found (for myself) a solution. A story called Kirin Hobby (www.kirinhobby.com/) has either the JJJ/SHIELD or Aunt May/SHIELD sets for $7.95. I ordered what I wanted. I don't know how many they have, 'though I did email that and find out that they don't have these on next week's shipping invoice so they're hoping they'll get them the week after.

I wanted to say thanks for the tip on these. They seem like a nice little store and were very pleasant when i contacted them about a different product. Plus they had some older troop builders at regular prices.

And, FYI, they appear to be out of SHIELD agents now. And Hand ninjas. And Sentinels.

Happy to have helped. :thumbsup:

Not so happy I didn't check on Hand ninja's first. :confused:

I loved Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing. The stories that followed were not as good. I feel like they definitely killed off Forge in that issue, but like Miry has been saying, a lot of people claim the Astonishing books were kind of a one-off or alternate story instead of main continuity... which is kind of crazy because other things that happened in Astonishing have directly affected main continuity. So who knows. He's probably 'dead' until someone remembers about him and tosses him back in the fold.

As a part-time comics reader, it does make it very intimidating when there are 6 or so different X-titles floating around. I just don't know what to read to know what is going on. And I'm not really a huge fan of how dark the X-books are right now, so that's also keeping me back some. I feel like Whedon's X-Men were fun and adventurous and now things are just kind of bleak. I know the whole survival of the mutant race thing is pretty serious, but I also think comics should be fun.

Oh and character selection kinda sucks right now, IMO. Magneto is interesting, but I don't care a whole lot about Namor, Dr Nemesis or the way Cyclops and Colossus are being handled right now.

Anyway, I can't wait to get JJJ, Aunt May and the SHEILD agent!

you... MONSTER!

beautiful, very helpful monster, that I'm incredibly grateful of, but monster all the same!

as for comic continuity, I think that term is silly enough anyway. If writers once in a while just said, yeah soandso is going to be back in issue 12, as it was a f*cking stupid idea to kill them in the first place... that'd be fine by me.

That is the problem with modern comics and all their hang-ups. I really lose interest when writers take guys in spandex far too seriously.

I will think of you "fondly", juniorhog, the next time Hoarders: Buried Alive is on.

Ah well.

I hate that about modern writers too, hp. It seems to be the hook to get "hot" writers on a book by telling them to write whatever however. And what kills me, ab-so-lut-ly kills me, is that basic research into these characters isn't that hard. Take five minutes and read a friggin' wiki page or something. Google a fansite. Or... go buy some back issues. >gasp< You're a professional writer, you can take the expense as a tax deduction. I know this because I used to Kurt Buseik about it back in the day, as one of the best perks of his job. And Ellis is falling into a nasty pattern of turning whoever he writes into a stone cold killer. Which is fine if the character was a stone cold killer to begin with, if they didn't used to be, now we have a problem. Anyhooo...

I guess "Ghost Box" is considered "in" then. Scrap. At least I can take solace in the idea that Forge was suffering from the lingering effects of a severe head injury when he went nuts before he got blowed up.

As a part-time comics reader, it does make it very intimidating when there are 6 or so different X-titles floating around. I just don't know what to read to know what is going on. And I'm not really a huge fan of how dark the X-books are right now, so that's also keeping me back some. I feel like Whedon's X-Men were fun and adventurous and now things are just kind of bleak. I know the whole survival of the mutant race thing is pretty serious, but I also think comics should be fun.

Presumably in response to DC kicking their ass with last year's line reboot, Marvel has recently axed most of its low-tier titles in favor of more X-Men/Spider-Man/Avengers offshoots, so yeah there's way too many -- but the main X-books are Uncanny and Wolverine And The X-Men. I'd suggest the latter, since Jason Aaron seems to be going for exactly what you describe, a much more fun and funny direction than is the recent trend.

Surprised you don't like Dr Nemesis though, he's one of the least "grim and serious" X-characters around. Minimate him please, DST!

If the upshot in Spider and X titles was in response to the "new 52", they should not have bothered. Sales on a number of those books is already falling, and I predict it will be only a matter of time before the "new" wears off and DC sales in general will fall back to previous level, if not further down. I'd have employed a little more patience and seen if this bump was sustained or just an event style flash, but then there are few decisions they've made in the last decade I've agreed with.

I ordered a set from BBTS (still getting my big order from you, Luke! :thumbsup:) and they arrived today, so here are some pix!

Aunt May

AuntMay.jpg

Daredevil

Daredevil01.jpg

Daredevil02.jpg

Jean DeWolff

JeanDeWolff.jpg

J. Jonah Jameson

JJJ.jpg

JJJ2.jpg

Sin-Eater

Sin-Eater1.jpg

Sin-Eater2.jpg

Sin-Eater3.jpg

Spider-Man

Spidey.jpg

S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents

SHIELD-1.jpg

SHIELD2-1.jpg

SHIELD3-1.jpg

A scene from the classic story, The "Death of Fred & Barney, Agents of SHIELD" :P

Scene.jpg

Edited by youbastards

I'm as surprised as anyone that the new 52 is holding on to the top of the charts still. I figured that sales would be strong in September, and maybe October, and then fall back to earth. But DC has continued to hold Marvel off into at least January. So Joe Quesada looked around his office, said "anybody got an idea!?" and someone in the back raised their hand and said "I dunno, have the Avengers and the X-Men fight?".

If there's one problem in comics right now (and there's not, but you get the idea), it's that both companies have trained their audience to only respond to stunts and gimmicks. We can complain about it all we want, but as long as that's the only thing that moves the needle, that's what we're gonna get. :down:

Oh good. We now return this thread to it's regularly scheduled topic. Any continued discussion of Marvel and DC's recent poor decision making should be moved to it's own thread. Also feel free to completely ignore me, as the words "staff" or "moderator" appear no where to the left of this post.

Sweet pics.

Really like that Daredevil.

The SHIELD guys... somehow the guns in the chest holsters don't look quite as cool as I thought they would. Definitely a proportion thing.

J.J.J. looks wonderful. Only missing one tiny thing (literally) that would make him over the top perfect- the cigar hand from the first Kingpin. And one of you guys that bought multiple Jamesons needs to make some decals for him that puts webbing over his mouth and some on his suit. (I would if I could, but some unknown parties seem to have bought everyone in sight)

Sin Eater... oh I wish there were a minimate hand that allowed him to hold that shotgun in firing position better. Even with the heavily modified weapon, it looks like it will look only slightly less awkward that Kraven and his rifle.