UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 43? - Spidey Comic-based

fwoosheyman

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good-looking Daredevil, although I miss the sculpted eyes on the original mask.

Miry, I was wondering about the two-tone thing. Back in the day :happy: coloring on costumes was pretty subjective, and often varied based on the colorist. Because the printing process was so limited, they had to get creative to express different types of shading and lighting, which often lead to confusion on what the "real" color of a costume was (e.g., was Mar-Vell supposed to be blue or black). Given your encyclopedic knowledge of comics, would you say DD's classic costume is "supposed to be" two-tone (dark/brick red torso, bright red boots and gloves), or was that just a creative expression of shading, like his torso is supposed to be matte and his boots and gloves glossy? In his current incarnation, it does seem like the costume is distinctly two colors, but in older comics, I've seen the two-tone look and the solid red look used pretty interchangeably.

Edited by Lobsterman

It's difficult to be sure but his billy-club holster still looks huge,I appreciate that the holster takes Minimate size billy clubs but surely a compromise could be made ?

AND .......here's the colours that I,personally,always envisage DD wearing post-638-0-84341200-1318006831_thumb.jpg

Check out the holster,the slightly different coloured boots , gloves &....billy clubs.

Not going to happen is it ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

Lobby- like you said, coloring vagueries of "back in the day" make it hard to say with 100% certainty. When in doubt, I usually go look it up in one of the handbooks, since those were meant as much for reference for the pros as to a characters standard appearance as they were for fans. The best in the reguard were the "Master Eddition" binder series. (didn't care for most of the changes they made in the info presented, but the costume references are great) They showed DD's suit as a darker, almost blood red, with bright red gloves and boots. But all things considered, it could all be the same color, just different materials: the costume is matte red spandex, the boots and gloves are a glossy red leather, so the suit looks darker. In a way, that is how this DD is presented, with more shading on the chest. But I really liked the recent DD custom I saw here a few weeks ago, I appologize I can not remember which of you guys did it, too many of you are too darn good a those and I struggle to remember who did what, with the lighter boots and gloves and was hoping to see something similar on this official one.

Don't get me wrong, it's a mighty fine DD minimate, within 90% of perfect in my book.

It's difficult to be sure but his billy-club holster still looks huge,I appreciate that the holster takes Minimate size billy clubs but surely a compromise could be made ?

AND .......here's the colours that I,personally,always envisage DD wearing post-638-0-84341200-1318006831_thumb.jpg

Check out the holster,the slightly different coloured boots , gloves &....billy clubs.

Not going to happen is it ?

I think I'll see if a simple red sharpie can get the boots and gloves a slightly darker red. I like that look a lot.

But I really liked the recent DD custom I saw here a few weeks ago, I appologize I can not remember which of you guys did it, too many of you are too darn good a those and I struggle to remember who did what, with the lighter boots and gloves and was hoping to see something similar on this official one.

Don't get me wrong, it's a mighty fine DD minimate, within 90% of perfect in my book.

Probably Youbastards' DD. There is so much great customizing work that goes on around here, but I have to say that his DD and Bob Harris' Nick Fury are my two all time favorites.

I think this new DD is pretty sweet, but I'll hold final judgement for when it's in hand and compared to he previous versions. I agree that the billy club holster is far too big, YB, what holster did you use on your custom (which happens to be the nicest DD ever "released")?

Edited by blacksun1520

Thanks guys, those are quite the complements! Yes, my DD uses the Hand Ninja as a base with parts mixed from Shadowland DD. I had to stretch the sai holder quite a bit to fit both billy clubs, but they are in there pretty secure and there aren't any signs that the plastic is weakening. The regular thin billy clubs from the first couple of DD releases should both fit in that holder with no problem, and it looks like the old billy clubs are the ones that are coming with the new DD as the Nightwing/Shadowland clubs are too long for that holder.

I had to stretch the sai holder quite a bit to fit both billy clubs, but they are in there pretty secure and there aren't any signs that the plastic is weakening. The regular thin billy clubs from the first couple of DD releases should both fit in that holder with no problem, and it looks like the old billy clubs are the ones that are coming with the new DD as the Nightwing/Shadowland clubs are too long for that holder.

Here is a quick cell phone picture I took of the MK Daredevil with the same holder I used for my custom (except it is from Deadpool).

As you can see, the old style billy clubs fit in that holder perfectly.

dd.jpg

Edited by youbastards

Or even better, Jean Dewolff with an alternate Betty Brant head! Not ideal, but better than using Betty to take up a full character slot in another wave.

An Elizabeth Banks minimate would be H. O. T! :tongue: