UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 43? - Spidey Comic-based

fwoosheyman

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need we worry about treading on eggshells around here ?

Isn't this a discussion group?

I've criticised DST so much & despised them so much that I've been to 2 conventions in San Diego (11K round trip) purely & simply to tell 'em what I think about their bloody rubbish Minimates .....as for Chuck I found him disarmingly friendly ,genuine & sincere about the line. That didn't stop me (or anyone else) complaining about a few things here & there.

I've particularly criticised the characters in this wave but I'll still be buying ,still supporting & more or less still loving what I'll eventually get ....I usually buy one or two items from any new release :whistling: This isn't my favourite wave by a long chalk & I'd like to think that my comments show that I care about what I'm buying .

I don't think anyone was complaining about... complaining. Like in general. Just this very specific trend of quoting off-the-cuff Q&A responses as if they're set in stone "rules" that we should get angry about every time they're "broken."

I think we're all pretty comfortable stomping those eggshells into oblivion :)

I would love a Beetle as he's been a mainstay of the

Masters of Evil.

Um... depends on what you call "mainstay". He's been on the team twice, the first as a replacement for Scorpion on Egghead's Masters of Evil. He aided in the raid on the courthouse that captured Hank Pym, and ultimately had his armor remote controlled by Pym, who flew poor Abner into Thor's hammer at top speed. He was invited to join Helmet Zemo's second group of Master's in their mission to free Goliath from the Kosmosians. He was out of costume, using his engineering skills to help Fixer for that initial mission. This group soon became the original Thunderbolt's, with Abner and his radically redesigned armor becoming Mach III/IV/V. Like Songbird, Abner quickly decided he liked being a hero, and has stayed reformed until the present. So... 1 1/2 times a member of the MoE?

On the other hand, there are very few people who can claim "mainstay" status of the MoE. It's membership, and even leadership changes regularly. Heck, Doc Ock formed his own version of the team once. Few have been on the team in more than one incarnation of the group, fewer still that have been on it more than twice. If you are to count the T-Bolt's as an MoE iterationon, then Moonstone has had the longest membership of anyone hands down.

Addressing Nessex's question, I was actually going to say about what Zach said, but I was too slow. So instead I will post a list of variants that are completely different characters than their wave counterpart.

wv 7: JJJ (kinda)

wv 10: Julia Carpenter

wv 16: Thunderstrike

wv 18: MJ

wv 20: Vision 2.0

wv 21: MK II

wv 22: General Ross

wv 23: War Machine (rhody)

wv 24: Tarantula

wv 30: Ultimate Spider-Woman

wv 34: Selene

wv 35: Happy Hogan

wv 38: White Tiger

wv 39: Jane Foster

wv 40: Peggy Carter

wv 43: Aunt May

16/43, More than 37%. Certainly not a steadfast rule. And some would argue that you can't count the movie waves (Why? I have no idea. I've never understood the abhoration to movie waves. They're numbered the same for crying out loud!) in which case waves 18, 21, 22, 35, 39 and 40 could be discounted. In that case the number would be 10/34, making it 29%. Still not a number to scoff at.

I think the waves listed above are some of the more memorable.

Otherwise, the variant theme in Wave 43 would be "senior citizens",

Well... actually you could say the variant theme is "Spider-Man Supporting Cast".

Now there are many things about Spider-Man that put him near the top of a lot of comics related top 10 lists. Not the least of which is comics best Rogues Gallery. But IMO what Spider-Man has is the biggest and best supporting cast. Peter has a wide variety of friends, allies and co-workers in both identities and a Spidey-story is at it's best when it intertwines with many other them. I'm thrilled to have more of them for my minimate collection.

Not "they made Kang!" thrilled, but thrilled none the less.

Not to go off topic but I would disagree on major Spidey foes being complete, as we are still without a Beetle. It might just be me but I rank him up there above guys like Mr Negative and Hydro Man.

I agree that Beetle ranks above new comers like Menace, Mr. Negative, and Anti-Venom but I wasn't really including them as main Spidey villains like Electro, Scorpion, Green Goblin, Lizard, Vulture, Doc Ock, Venom, Kraven, Black Cat and Sandman.

I would love a Beetle as he's been a mainstay of the

Masters of Evil.

Other Spidey villains needing treatment:

The Jackal

Jack O'Lantern

The Spot and the Losers

Morbius

Hammerhead

Tombstone

Molten Man

Vermin

Will o'the Wisp

Boomerang

Alistar Smythe

Man-Wolf

Puma

So plenty more to do but we have all the heavy hitters. The remainder is Spidey C-List.

Wait... you've got the Spot on there but you forgot THE WHITE RABBIT?! For shame!

A few thoughts on your list...

wv 7: JJJ (kinda)

Come on. It's not a real JJJ mate, it's Chameleon with a JJJ mask. In fact it's the exact same minimate as the "regular" one, with an accessory. Not a seperate character.

wv 21: MK II

Same guy, same name, different suit. Not a seperate character.

wv 10: Julia Carpenter

wv 16: Thunderstrike Thor (masterson)

wv 20: Vision 2.0

wv 23: War Machine (rhody)

wv 34: Selene

wv 38: White Tiger

All of these characters share the exact same code name as the "regular release". And in these cases, they are actually the successors of the "regulars". They are seperate characters, but at the same time the are variations on the identity of the "regular". These could go either way.

The rest- no arguement whatsoever.

Okay,

wave 7 list the variant as name by JJJ, and does not even mention that he's the chameleon on underneath. It can be argued that he is the chameleon in disguise, but the package doesn't say that, on top of which, all the check lists (including the DST one) list him in there, along side Chameleon. I said it was iffy. I still leave that one up to you.

Secondly, Rhodey is the regular release, the Mark II is the variant. Those are not the same characters. Not in the first movie, and not in the IM1 wave. Sorry. "Next time, baby."

Thirdly.

Really? Cause that original Thunderstrike was shite. :lol:

Lobby even agrees with me. Would it help if I called him "Eric Masterson Thor" like the wave 42 release? Notice I didn't throw wave 42 in there cause Thunderstrike and Eric Masterson Thor/Bearded Thor are the same character. Wait, we did this dance already. The point remains, Thor and Bearded Thor are not the same character! No more than Thor and Clor are or Hulk and Rulk.

fourthly, just because a character has the same name, or carries on the same traditions, does not mean they're the same character. It's who's under the mask that counts. You'd have an easier time arguing that Spiderman and the Scarlet Spider are the same character, and you don't hear anyone make that argument. Your kids will have the same last name as you, and do the things you taught them to do (hopefully) but that doesn't make them you. On top of which, Selene is called Selene on the package, just as Jean Grey is called Jean grey. White Tiger and Classic White Tiger have official distinctions as well, as do Vision, Julia and Eric for that matter. Rhondes only has a mark difference in his designation, btu the armor is different, he's a character with his own agenda, and at a different time than when Tony was War Machine.

Not saying you're wrong. Just opening it up for discussion.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Please treat this as WIP for the moment ....I started composing this & got carried away.

Wave:

1 Elektra ,same parts/different colour.

2 Symbiote ,different colour

3 Cyclops,different head.

4 DD,same version of wave 1 DD with different headpiece.

5 Dr.Doom,different head.

6 Stealth IM,same part/different colour.

7 JJJ,slip-on head. (possibly DC but isn't this 'Chameleon as JJJ'?)

8 Invisible Woman,same parts/different colour.

9 Emma Frost,same parts/different colour.

10 Spider-Woman,same parts*/different colour Different Character(DC)

11 Iceman,same parts/different colour.

12 Sentry,different hairpiece/different colour.

13 Wolverine,different hairpiece*/different colour.

14 Phoenix,same parts/different colour.

16 Thor,same parts/different colour.

17 Brock/Venom,different hairpiece,hand & torso accessory/different colour.

18 MJ,different hairpiece/different colour. (DC)

19 Archangel,different hairpiece/different colour.

20 Vision,different colour

21 Iron Man,different colour (DC)

22 Gen.Ross,different head & torso piece/different colour (DC)

23 War Machine,different colour*

24 Tarantula,absolutely different character

25 Iron Man,different belt*/different colour.

26 Sabretooth,different colour/different torso piece.

27 Captain America,different hair,mask,shield /different colour.

28 Sabretooth,different haiirpiece & torso/different colour.

29 Wolverine,different hair,headpiece,weapon/ different colour.

30 Spider-Woman,different hair/different colour. (DC)

31 Angel,different hair,boots,gauntlets,mask/different colour.

32 Goliath,different hairpiece & mask/different colour.

33 Rachel,different collar,hair./different colour.

34 Black Queen,different hair/different colour. (DC)

35 Hogan,different gloves,hair,accessory,torso-piece/different colour. (DC)

36 Mandarin,different cape,cloak,arm bands,skirt

37 Thing,different coat,arm & cuff pieces,head(hat)-piece,glasses/different colour.

38 Tiger,different gloves/different colour ....... & boobs. :thumbsup: (DC)

39 Jane Foster,different belt & hair/different colour.(DC)

40 Peggy Carter,different skirt & hair/different colour.(DC)

41 Mr.Sinister,different boots cape & hair/different colour.

Random initial thoughts:

It's quite interesting & extremely clever how many of these variants are spectacularly different from the non-variant alternative in the same wave whilst the changes seem simply executed.

Movie waves tend to have civilian variants.

Many variants actually have less parts than their respective normal version.

I'd considered Happy Hogan the worst variant of recent times but the work that went into his character was extensive so fickleheadsmate has changed his mind......er..again. How'd we get this character though ....was he even in the film?

EDITED heavily thanks to Nessex's subsequent post.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Whether the policy regarding variants is a rule or a guideline, does anyone actually care? It's not like variants are difficult to get now like they were at the beginning of the line. It also seems to me that an extra character might be the kind of incentive LCS owners need to keep ordering minimates.

Some thought/observations/questions:

Please treat this as WIP for the moment ....I started composing this & got carried away.

Wave:

2 different hands,different head. Different character (DC)

Would we call this a different character? or a costume variant of the same character? They're both SpiderMan. And i'm not sure how his hands are different?

10 same parts*/different colour

I'd call Julie a different character. Despite both being SpiderWoman - julie has always had a distinctly different costume, civilian identity & power set.

20 different colour

is Vision 2.0 a different character?

21 different colour

Although it's a differently coloured MK111 armour from the same wave - it's the variant to a different character and sculpt altogether (Rhodes)

34 different hair/different colour.

although they were both being Black Queens at one time, i'd argue that Selene and Jean are very different characters.

38 different gloves/different colour.

i don't know anything about the tigers, but they look to be different people to me (the boobs tipped me off)

A lot of these seem like totally different characters to me - but they do still fit into the general variant theme of alternate costume/variation/person with same name type thing.

Wave:

2 different hands,different head. Different character (DC)

Would we call this a different character? or a costume variant of the same character? They're both SpiderMan. And i'm not sure how his hands are different?

My bad I was comparing Symbiote to Venom . Corrected

10 same parts*/different colour

I'd call Julie a different character. Despite both being SpiderWoman - julie has always had a distinctly different costume, civilian identity & power set.

Agreed,corrected

20 different colour

is Vision 2.0 a different character?

Now we're struggling !

21 different colour

Although it's a differently coloured MK111 armour from the same wave - it's the variant to a different character and sculpt altogether (Rhodes)

You're perfectly correct .

34 different hair/different colour.

although they were both being Black Queens at one time, i'd argue that Selene and Jean are very different characters.

Corrected

38 different gloves/different colour.

i don't know anything about the tigers, but they look to be different people to me (the boobs tipped me off)

Corrected .....I'm more of a legs man ;)

A lot of these seem like totally different characters to me - but they do still fit into the general variant theme of alternate costume/variation/person with same name type thing.

Like I said WIP & I thankyou for your help . BTW I'm not trying to score points or anything here I was just putting things into perspective,I've been surprised by what I've discovered & was just playing about correlating it .

Edited by buttheadsmate

How'd we get this character though ....was he even in the film?

Easy... the Director of both movirs played Happy, hence...

Dinobutt- My bad on the MK II thing. But I find the "the package said so" arguement shakey at best. But we'll agree to disagree on that.

Bearded Thor was the worst variant name ever. Let's just get that out there. But to the larger point, you bring up Ben. I would not consider Ben as the Scarlet Spider a variant of Spider-Man, but I would Ben in his version of Spider-Man's costume. You look online, or in handbooks, and you'll find Ben's suit listed with the other variations of Spider-Man and his costume. Same thing goes for Eric as Thor. I am not arguing that they are not different characters, yes the people inside the suit matter. But I am saying they are also variations of the regular release. And as such an arguement can be made that they should be counted differently than say Shocker / Tarantula.

Although this may more appropriately belong in BHM's price guide thread, since we have brought up wave 24 and the Shocker/Tarantula scenario, I would like to point out that over the last 2 years, the Tarantula set is one of the most difficult sets to find, it rarely appears on eBay, and when it does the prices are usually pretty inflated.

Not sure if this is because of it being a unique character variant, but it is worth noting.

Bearded Thor was the worst variant name ever. Let's just get that out there. But to the larger point, you bring up Ben. I would not consider Ben as the Scarlet Spider a variant of Spider-Man, but I would Ben in his version of Spider-Man's costume. You look online, or in handbooks, and you'll find Ben's suit listed with the other variations of Spider-Man and his costume. Same thing goes for Eric as Thor. I am not arguing that they are not different characters, yes the people inside the suit matter. But I am saying they are also variations of the regular release. And as such an arguement can be made that they should be counted differently than say Shocker / Tarantula.

So what you're saying is that these variants are variants of the character, rather than being a non-variant character in a variant spot? Interesting. I'm not sure I can get behind hat, but I do understand what you're saying.

So, out of curiosity, Wv 42 Bearded Thor; Thor variant or Thunderstrike variant?

:teehee:

*snip*

What cover is this for?

Fan art, as far as I know. I don't think BC or WR have ever been officially drawn with such titanic boobs. :yucky:

So what you're saying is that these variants are variants of the character, rather than being a non-variant character in a variant spot? Interesting. I'm not sure I can get behind hat, but I do understand what you're saying.

So, out of curiosity, Wv 42 Bearded Thor; Thor variant or Thunderstrike variant?

:teehee:

*snip*

What cover is this for?

Fan art, as far as I know. I don't think BC or WR have ever been officially drawn with such titanic boobs. :yucky:

It seemed just "finished" enough that I was tricked into thinking it was an actual cover for something, yet I still kind of thought it might be fan stuff. Thanks!