UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 43? - Spidey Comic-based

fwoosheyman

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tumblr_lic2nm4jQp1qzkwnwo1_500.jpg

JR's "The Keys" was reviewed on the BBC's ART Channel some years ago by the influential critic Ted Smate . The furore this picture caused at the time has given the picture the 'urban' nickname of "Dropped keys & consequences" . Here is a resume of what he said ....................

"There are a few details in that picture that speak volumes as to what the artist is trying to tell us.......the male elephant dipping his trunk....... a seemingly satisfied male sucks happily on the rolled tobacco with his weapon holstered but with the 'safety' off. In stark contrast the other male with the clenched fist appears to have the majority of his rump buried in a pile of sand .......is it sand or is something else because there seems to be dollops elsewhere by his feet ? He seems distressed & in a contemplative mood. Keys almost hidden in the foreground are indeed the key to the artists mindset.... as are the bikini-clad sirens laughing mockingly in the background ....what have they just witnessed....who dropped the keys & why? "

Apparently the text box was added at a later date in an attempt to hide what appears to be a bottle of lubricant.....for the sun perhaps.

A lesson to us all perhaps.

Edited by buttheadsmate

whaddid I say? Officially awk-ward now.

But if we lock it, we can't discuss... whatever it is that we were originally discussing... before things got weird.

How's this?

tumblr_lic2nm4jQp1qzkwnwo1_500.jpg

I’d like to think we’re all modern men here at the multiverse.

We can look at a picture of a semi-nude man in a speedo, it doesn’t make us gay or weird (unless that’s how we were born, baby!), we’re comfortable enough in our sexuality we can say “hey cool, man! you’re hairy and wearing a banana hammock, good for you!” and think nothing of it

So it’s not the content of the picture that’s disturbing to me.

WHY IS IRON MAN A HUNCHBACK?!?!

Seriously, LOOK AT HIM! His left shoulder is up to his ear and his deltoid is as big as his head, that’s not perspective it’s deformation (try it, look at yourself in a mirror, and try pose like that and see if your pose is more “beachy chillaxing” or “YES MASTER!”) his left thigh is HALF the size of his left shin, his foot is almost as big as his thigh! Okay, sure, maybe it’s foreshortening (bad foreshortening, but okay, it’s foreshortened) if that’s the case WHY IS HIS RIGHT THIGH HUUUUGE (perspectively that should not be!) this is up their with Liefeld Cap as the most deformed superhero EVER drawn (we’re a Thor away from having a full set of Avengers of Notre Dame!)

Why was this allowed out?! Was Marvel a page short and grab the first nudey drawing they found in the employee trash bin to fill it?

What makes it most bizarre is I just realized “JR jr” is referring to JOHN ROMITA Jr.... can’t that guy actually draw?!? Like I’m checking on google and unless it’s misattributing EVERYTHING to him in the search, he’s got skill.

Was that the first thing he ever drew?! Did he start out an awful artist Marvel hired because his dad called in a favor and he became good through years of being in the business? Was he always talented but pissed he got assigned the sausage party illustration when he wanted to draw Black Cat and Mary Jane having tickle fight so he smashed out a drawing in 5 minutes to get it over with? Is it NOT John Romita Jr? Is there another JR Jr it could have been and John Romita Jr just in later years became the more obvious JR Jr so in retrospect it seems like it should be him? Is “Jr jr” a “who shot JR” joke and not a reference to the artist?!

Seriously, I can’t wrap my mind the sheer awfulness of the drawing.

Edited by dr baghead

......he got assigned the sausage party illustration

:lol:

I'm very impressed with this wave & apart from a couple of gripes I'm looking forward to getting them . DD ,much to my surprise,actually looks like the definitive version perhaps surpassing the TRU Marvel Knights version which has to be one of my favourite Minimates.

-bananahammocksmate

You must have not watched the show Scrubs, then.

I'm kind of regretting posting that picture now because when everyone reposts it, it just becomes an out of context quote with my name at the top...

But I'm with baghead - that can't REALLY be JRJR right? I know he has his off days, but this definitely looks more like creepy fan art.

ANYWAY

I can't wait to get some of these 'mates! I'll wait for TRU Daredevil so I can get Kingpin, but I want JJJ and Aunt May!

I can't wait to get some of these 'mates! I'll wait for TRU Daredevil so I can get Kingpin, but I want JJJ and Aunt May!

I don't know how you can be so patient. I couldn't wait another month. Maybe? a week? Probably not.

I'm an addict!

Edited by Mystery Man

I'm kind of regretting posting that picture now because when everyone reposts it, it just becomes an out of context quote with my name at the top...

edited your name out of my post so google doesn’t start kicking up that image when you look up your name, no one deserves that fate...

on original topic: Holy Crap is JJ awesome!

JJ is my favorite Spider-man character and my only problem with the figure is his bare forearms are made of blue plastic with flesh paint so whoever put the rolled sleeves on at the factory scuffed him up pretty good. But it’s a small mar on an otherwise terrific figure.

Edited by dr baghead

Get two daredevils... Make a Matt Murdock. Just sayin'

Cause if you manage to score a second JJJ/Shield set, you'll have a spare blue suit... and spare blonde hair... heck you snag a non-scowling face and a some flesh tone hands you're well on your way to a Jim Hammond custom too. At least, that's my plan.:thumbsup:

edited your name out of my post so google doesn’t start kicking up that image when you look up your name, no one deserves that fate...

I appreciate it!

--on topic--

I am now officially on the hunt for these guys - Can't wait for JJ!

Get two daredevils... Make a Matt Murdock. Just sayin'

Cause if you manage to score a second JJJ/Shield set, you'll have a spare blue suit... and spare blonde hair... heck you snag a non-scowling face and a some flesh tone hands you're well on your way to a Jim Hammond custom too. At least, that's my plan.:thumbsup:

I'm using a President Palmer suit for Matt, and the JJJ suit for Hammerhead.

But it’s a small mare on an otherwise terrific figure.

:ohmy:

Shouldn't this be in the 'My little pony' thread ?

Marry that mare.

-buttheadsmare

even though you’ve pointed out an embarrassing typo I choose to love and tolerate you anyway... now I’ll be back in 20 seconds flat after I make my last post 20% cooler.

-Dr. Bronshead

Picked up my set of this wave yesterday. Really impressed with everyone. One downside, the SHIELD agent that came with my Aunt May has two right legs. Fortunately, I had two others, with another two on the way from Luke, but it still kinda sucks, cause these little guys are so cool, and I totally want an army of them.

Picked up my set of this wave yesterday. Really impressed with everyone. One downside, the SHIELD agent that came with my Aunt May has two right legs. Fortunately, I had two others, with another two on the way from Luke, but it still kinda sucks, cause these little guys are so cool, and I totally want an army of them.

Contact customer service.

Contact customer service.

Already done, but thanks for the response.

"What if they say no! He may not have a leg to stand on....."

Hey, as long as a replacement doesn't cost me an arm and a leg...

In all seriousness, it's not a big deal. I stole the leg off of my old Nick Fury. Not an exact match, but close enough that it's not too noticable.

Edited by Glantern