UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 41

minijeff

The fact that Modern X-Force and Age of X both get box sets planned before even really hitting the shelves? That's absurd,

Really? Planning a box set so it actually hits shelves when people are at the store buying the comic and thinking about it is absurd? Frankly, I think that's about the only strategy left for DST as far as selling Marvel mates in LCSs goes. I've talked to several owners who are dropping (or have already) dropped Marvel waves because of the "scraping the barrel" (their words) character selections. I know it's hard to believe, but not every person who has bought or will by Minimates is a die-hard completist looking to get every single unique character in the Marvel library before anyone is duplicated.

I actually give DST props for getting the info early enough to actually catch this train. When Age of X is running this summer and you can have your mates to play with sorry pose on your shelf and look at at the same time as you're reading the book, I'm sure everyone will be quite excited.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than Rogue, who are the other characters in the Age of X? Is that Magneto andGambit on the right?

Yep - Mags & Gambit.

It's Cyclops on the left - or 'Basilisk' as he is known in the age of x.

I think I must be alone in liking the first class boxset. My main reason is that it will give ppl acess to a set a wings to bash together an Angel from the Classic set. No beast prob means TRU two pack and it will be Beastgate this time.

I like it - the set looks great - but it's not as needed (IMHO) as some other x-men. I'd rather be getting some classic x-characters that don't have figures yet like Dazzler, Longshot & Ka-Zar . . . but am too elated over Sinister to really be too down on the showings we've seen :P

Would anyone else love to see more Age of Apocalypse characters as the variant? Imagine a bulked up Colossus with an AoA Colossus as the variant...

Drools!

I really think people are getting far too uppity about the new Deadpool...

I don't think anyone would disagree that the scalping has gotten ridiculous on the original one. I got one at retail, thank god, but I feel for the people that missed it.

That said, I think it's good that Diamond is trying to give people who missed him options. But so far I don't think any of those options have been steller ones...

Liefield X-Force was a con exclusive. Not exactly easy to get ones hands on.

Modern X-Force Deadpool is hardly a "classic" Deadpool, and doesn't work a substitute. (Same goes for both the lame movie ones.)

I'm still not completely clear on where Heroes & Adversaries was available. But as far as I can tell its an obscure internet exclusive.

That said, we haven't really seen a plain old, normal, regular market Red & Black Deadpool, beyond that one that sold out everywhere and alot of people missed out on.

So like I said, I think people are getting too uppity.

Really? Planning a box set so it actually hits shelves when people are at the store buying the comic and thinking about it is absurd? Frankly, I think that's about the only strategy left for DST as far as selling Marvel mates in LCSs goes. I've talked to several owners who are dropping (or have already) dropped Marvel waves because of the "scraping the barrel" (their words) character selections. I know it's hard to believe, but not every person who has bought or will by Minimates is a die-hard completist looking to get every single unique character in the Marvel library before anyone is duplicated.

I actually give DST props for getting the info early enough to actually catch this train. When Age of X is running this summer and you can have your mates to play with sorry pose on your shelf and look at at the same time as you're reading the book, I'm sure everyone will be quite excited.

When DC got Blackest Night figures to come out alongside the book, I was impressed. That was a MAJOR event for the publisher, and they had some intense in-continuity redesigns (even if they were temporary) to work with.

Age of X is a VERY minor story; only affecting TWO of the X-titles. It is an alternate reality story, as well. Given those facts, I just think that DST is jumping the gun here, because I SERIOUSLY doubt there will be much demand for figures of this story.

While I totally see your point about being able to buy the figures concurrently with the story, I also don't think that's going to happen. AoX has started. I think it will be over by the time these figures come out (November looks to be the scheduled release date). So, you don't actually get to have the figures WHILE you read the story, and what happens if the whole story is met with lukewarm reception?

Yes, if the figures could have come out alongside the books, that might have been awesome. Otherwise, I think any toy company is better off waiting to gauge the success of their story before selling toys based on it.

Edited by Mnemosis

When DC got Blackest Night figures to come out alongside the book, I was impressed. That was a MAJOR event for the publisher, and they had some intense in-continuity redesigns (even if they were temporary) to work with.

Age of X is a VERY minor story; only affecting TWO of the X-titles. It is an alternate reality story, as well. Given those facts, I just think that DST is jumping the gun here, because I SERIOUSLY doubt there will be much demand for figures of this story.

While I totally see your point about being able to buy the figures concurrently with the story, I also don't think that's going to happen. AoX has started. I think it will be over by the time these figures come out (November looks to be the scheduled release date). So, you don't actually get to have the figures WHILE you read the story, and what happens if the whole story is met with lukewarm reception?

Yes, if the figures could have come out alongside the books, that might have been awesome. Otherwise, I think any toy company is better off waiting to gauge the success of their story before selling toys based on it.

Very well put, Mnemosis. I'd add that rolling out minor variations of characters representing anything less then a big line-wide event is the very definition of the "scraping the barrel" those retailers are complaining about.

Wooowww... that Hulk... it kinda completely sucks donkey penis. I think I'm not gonna get that one. Why does it seem so short and stocky I ask you!? WHY!?!? I mean, it looks like half the size of Ultimate Hulk. F**k that mini. F**k it so hard.

However on a sunshinier note I REALLY like that Super Skrull. I really like his hand. It should go to see a Mr. Fantastic figure sometime. Soon. Yeah make it happen DST.

Edited by Trekker 42

I agree ,there has been a lot worse than that one ! It seems that it's OK to completely forget any of the basic aspects of Minimate design with GB ...no legs ,huge heads blah de blah de blah... but when it comes to simply giving the Hulk some bloody great arms everybody at DST shits themselves for ideas :angry:

I didn't think that this latest one was that bad and at least they've almost got the colour right :rolleyes:

Edited by buttheadsmate

I agree ,there has been a lot worse than that one ! It seems that it's OK to completely forget any of the basic aspects of Minimate design with GB ...no legs ,huge heads blah de blah de blah... but when it comes to simply giving the Hulk some bloody great arms everybody at DST shits themselves for ideas :angry:

I didn't think that this latest one was that bad and at least they've almost got the colour right :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, there are flaws, but I personally feel the pros outweigh the cons. I dunno, maybe I've been so anxious for a bulked-up Hulk that I've lowered my standards for one quite a bit. But regardless, I do kinda like it.

I kind of like that Hulk. Don't love it. But I like it. I LOVE the bulked up Thing.

Very well put, Mnemosis. I'd add that rolling out minor variations of characters representing anything less then a big line-wide event is the very definition of the "scraping the barrel" those retailers are complaining about.

Thank you, and exactly my point.

I think a lot of the reason that Thing turned out so well is that his character design is already pretty inhuman. The segmented, armor-y looking pieces don't really clash with his theme of "being a big pile of rocks."

But when Hulk is represented with sleeves and hands that show bits of tiny minimate arms underneath, it kind of wrecks the illusion that he's in any way humanoid because oh sweet christ there's another tiny person under there.

They sculpted those puffy sleeves, right? Why can't they just do that with the arms on bigger characters? I'm not saying they have to be like, superhuge, but a little bit of musculature sculpted on instead of huge ugly sleeves would fill the figure out a lot.

• 1 month later...