UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Laboratory Playset revealed

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid we used to get 'little plastic men' free with our breakfast cereal packets....now we get breakfast cereal packets free with our 'little plastic men'.

touché

Ohh and I cant resist it

Ground floor:

Perfumery, stationary, and leather goods, wigs and haberdashery, kitchenware and food. Going up . . .

First floor:

Telephones, gents ready made suits, shirts, suits, ties, hats, minimates, and shoes. Going up . . .

Second floor:

Carpets, travel goods, and bedding, materials, soft furnishings, restaurants, and ties. Going down . . .

I agree it is too expensive, but. . .if it includes a Battle Beast. . .

As a non completist I can't even justify getting it for that reason either. I have yet to drink the Kool-Aid on the Battle Beasts. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see more of them. For now though color me unimpressed. On a different note I was in TRU today and saw a kid get really excited about the Wolverine Sabretooth 2 pack. It was pretty cool thing to behold.

Well, the set is perfect for Army-builders and actual toy-play-with-ers, so i'll give it that since i am. My AIMs and HYDRAs need somewhere to get busted by my Avengers and DAs (fits very nicely with the new War of the [Ms.] Marvels storyline; looks like the actual Lab. And we know i like Carol and Karla. ;)), so i'll buy two...the guard and the BB are just a bonus.

Honestly, i think the price is spot-on; maybe off by like $3 at most...I mean, it's got a "two-pack" at $6.99 and then apparently very sturdy cardboard at $18.99. I'd rather have this than an underproduced plastic set at $35.00. I know many of you would too.

touché

Ohh and I cant resist it

Ground floor:

Perfumery, stationary, and leather goods, wigs and haberdashery, kitchenware and food. Going up . . .

First floor:

Telephones, gents ready made suits, shirts, suits, ties, hats, minimates, and shoes. Going up . . .

Second floor:

Carpets, travel goods, and bedding, materials, soft furnishings, restaurants, and ties. Going down . . .

Are you Free Mr MiniFiend? :biggrin:

T.

I agree it is too expensive, but. . .if it includes a Battle Beast. . .

For this reason I will buy just 1 .. full case. In fact I'm a completist for all the Battle Beasts things so I will need this playset at least 1 loose and 1 still boxed.

Oh I'll be getting a few myself as I too am cursed with completism & please note well that I welcome the Battle Beasts Minimate concept 100% .

However.......if you are buying a case.... it'll be a case of a case of boxes full of boxes......

.....in fact anyone buying this will be will be welcomed to the fold as a board member on these boards . Not everybody is cut out for that :D

Anybody creasing up yet or totally bored ?:(

Edit: I now need to be constructive so please let me say that..... as someone whose job it was for 20 years to produce items like this playset...... I know (for once) what the hell I'm talking about.

This is actually a very clever concept which needs to be handled very carefully because it will literally 'stand or fall' on the correct decisions made on the choice of materials used. Choose the right stock ( type of paper/board ) & it will be a winner ,choose the wrong stock & it will be a disaster, as simple as that. I perhaps feel that DST's concept 'jobbies' are purely 'that' & will be produced in a more substantial form but therein lies the rub ,the heavier (thicker) the stock the harder it is to successfully cut & crease the final printed item. As an exercise to illustrate my point try folding a piece of cardboard from a cereal packet 'neatly' in various directions & you will soon see that it will fold better in one direction than other directions. Try this again after running a ball-point firmly on the cardboard (in any direction) using a straight edge (ruler) .......you should find that the card will now fold neatly along the line .To improve this folding operation in the packaging industry, the stock is creased ( an indentation applied ) first. Complicated enough ? Yes ,it is complicated.. but if the correct compromise is made between 'cost,weight & rigidity' then a sturdy item can be produced....... rather than a flimsy 'throw-away'.

DST are a very professional company & the likes of me isn't going to teach them their job but I once printed 560,000 packages for a little company called 'Pfizer' which due to THEIR failure to specify the correct stock .....despite my insistence that they were making a mistake.... had to be reprinted because the finished items weren't substantial enough. They never admitted their mistake but they were subsequently to take a bit more notice of our suggestions ;)

All that is perhaps boring (so what's new) but I don't want these sets failing .

It would be unfair to anybody having taken the trouble to have read all my post without adding the final irony of the 'Pfizer debacle' .......Pfizer ,you'll be aware I'm sure, are a huge pharmaceutical multi-national corporation who produce one particularly famous item ..... :yes:

Edited by buttheadsmate

It would be unfair to anybody having taken the trouble to have read all my post without adding the final irony of the 'Pfizer debacle' .......Pfizer ,you'll be aware I'm sure, are a huge pharmaceutical multi-national corporation who produce one particularly famous item ..... :yes:

I guess a flimsy box would send the wrong message. Interesting points, BHM. I think you are right, in that DST is a professional company that has produced some very high quality goods. So, even though it looks kind of crappy on the surface, it will probably be quite sturdy in-hand. I still don't think I would have any use for it, though.

• 6 months later...

Don't mind me necroing this thread, but I figured it might be relevant to some of the recent Toyfair developments...

I was doing some of my usual poking around online when I discovered this shocking thread :ohmy:

... okay, it's not exactly shocking to the longtime boardies here, but just stepping back and comparing this display to the lab playset DST's soliciting right now really makes you think about the whole lost-opportunities-thanks-to-lousy-retailer-interest dilemma we'd seen so many times.

So what does anyone think? Personally I wouldn't mind if it was somehow possible to bring this thing back from the dead or something. It's not like it's DC or Street Fighter or anything.

... right?

I just about remember that one......reminds me of 'Lost' in many ways perhaps because of the 'Initiative' symbol. I love it.

The saddest thing about the whole Minimate playset/vehicle saga is that Minimates are probably popular enough now for a LEGO type of building block line to succeed. :(

Edited by buttheadsmate

Well, I guess it's good news that they're anticipating Minimates will last another ten years... ;)

By chance did they have revised release dates for the next couple Marvel waves (33, 34, and 35)? I assume they've been bumped back at least a couple weeks. Are we still looking at a March range, or is it going to be more like April/May before we see them?

By chance did they have revised release dates for the next couple Marvel waves (33, 34, and 35)? I assume they've been bumped back at least a couple weeks. Are we still looking at a March range, or is it going to be more like April/May before we see them?

They still have Series 35 as March 3rd and Series 33 as March 10th. They put Series 34 as April 28th. Normally they don't update these shipping dates on the retailer page, even when things get delayed, unless something is resolicited.

On my Diamond Comics retailer order page, they have changed the release date for the Laboratory Playset to 12/31/2019. This is the same release date they have for the Godfather and Beverly Hills Cop set...

I think I know

I think I know

Only if we get no Battle Beasts at all now. In which case, I will severely regret not paying only $40-80 for the Toy Fair promo when I had the chance. Then, there will be much Charlie Brown music playing in my head.

Edited by karamazov80