UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC Exclusive Speculation

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other is something that's not necessarily going to be received with open arms by people around here, so I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to announce it. It's good for the brand, since it's good for sales to retailers and to draw in new fans, but some existing collectors may not appreciate it. And I really don't feel like shifting into super-defensive mode right now. I've been traveling since 4:30 a.m., and I'm almost home.

"Good for sales to retailers" suggests to me it isn't a new retailer. That, plus the fact that I don't think it would put hardcore collectors off (assuming it didn't mean more hard to find exclusives). We already knew some new retailers were coming anyway, based on Zach's previous comments.

Would blind boxes "bring in new fans" is a big question I have. And would it really be good for sales to retailers, considering the mixed U.S. response to blind boxes/bags in the past--LEGO aside, but LEGO is totally its own entity? I'm not sure about that. Maybe expanding the Minimates license to cover stuff that typical geek collectors would find abhorrent? Like, I don't know, sports?

Edited by karamazov80

Blind bags/boxes prevent an affordable completion.

I have wasted $20 on Simpsons Legos duplicates, and am still missing 5 figures.

I bought an entire case of Funko Game of Thrones, and did not get the 3 most expensive on the 2nd market figures (luckily, a super kind board member hooked me up for the most expensive at a fraction of the cost - but I'm still missing the other two).

I'll buy a case if I'm guaranteed a complete set. In that case, doubles aren't a big deal, I can trade or sell or donate.

But I can't afford to keep buying the same figure over and over again (LEGO KRUSTY!!!! mad.gif).

Edited by TENIME_art

Poor Tenime and his family of Lego Krustys. I'm not sure what the appropriate emoticon is for expressing "I sympathize, but it's still kind of funny".

Blind bags make some kind of sense to me for figures that are normally sold as part of larger sets, like Legos, Kreons and Mega Blocks. I don't quite mind so much getting doubles when the alternative is spending more money for a bigger set when I just want the figures (this should be known as "the Transformers Kreons Theorem"). But Minimates already come in convenient two- and four- packs. Blind bags seem like a loosing situation in that case.

But if that's what it takes to get them to more retailers, okay. I hope they are either complete rehashes of existing figures, or completely new. If we get an assortment that includes, say, Captain America, Iron Man, Wolverine, Squirrel Girl, and Gideon, that's going to be a big pain in the ass.

Without a "cheat sheet," I'm afraid I'd have to give up on Marvel mates if they go the blind bag route. It's stressful enough as it is tracking down TRU exclusives. I don't even want to think about tracking down short packed figures or having to pay the inevitably high secondary market prices.

Theoretically blind bags would get rid of TRU exclusivity so they would be in more stores. In my mind this means they would be easier to access and the secondary prices wouldn't be to bad, as long as the short packed figures aren't extremely rare that is.

Theoretically blind bags would get rid of TRU exclusivity so they would be in more stores.

I'm not sure how you'd come to that conclusion. The whole reason exclusives exist is to drive traffic to specific stores. If more retailers enjoy success with Minimates, exclusives are more likely for even more stores.

Yeah, and I don't see why retailers would have said "What we really want is direct rereleases of past figures that are outdated and which will drive down collectability/after market prices"

I mean, if that's what it is, fine. I've got some mates I'd be glad for a second pass at. I'm just saying it seems an unlikely request to me

More than likely it was along the lines of "Blind bag mini figures is a growth category for us. Can you give us something like that?"

I was thinking that Minimates could become more widespread (like Ninja Turtles, SW Black Series, Marvel Mashers) and have blind bags at more retailers instead of being restricted to a few retailers.

Yeah, and I don't see why retailers would have said "What we really want is direct rereleases of past figures that are outdated and which will drive down collectability/after market prices"

I mean, if that's what it is, fine. I've got some mates I'd be glad for a second pass at. I'm just saying it seems an unlikely request to me

More than likely it was along the lines of "Blind bag mini figures is a growth category for us. Can you give us something like that?"

You misunderstand. My quoted post was referencing someone's suggestion that we might be seeing rereleases INSTEAD of blind bags. I GET why retailers would ask for blind bags

You know what would work for Blind Bags?

Troop builders.

Give me a blind bag wave where buying a case of 24 means I get:

2x Havok

2x Polaris

2x Wolfsbane

2x Strong Guy

2x Quicksilver

1x Random

1x Val Cooper

6x Multiple Man in costume

6x Multiple Man in civvies

I'd buy a case in a heartbeat and offer up a few of my extras for sale or trade, but I'd be perfectly happy with my mini army.

2x Superior Spider-Man

2x Superior Venom

2x Green Goblin

2x Hobgoblin

1x Goblin Knight

1x Old Doc Ock

1x Wraith

1x Monster

6x Spider Slayers

6x Spider Soldiers

But if that's what it takes to get them to more retailers, okay. I hope they are either complete rehashes of existing figures, or completely new. If we get an assortment that includes, say, Captain America, Iron Man, Wolverine, Squirrel Girl, and Gideon, that's going to be a big pain in the ass.

If it meant getting Gideon & Squirrel Girl, i'd probably learn to live with it.

My biggest fear is the likelyhood of damaged in those cheap little blind bags. Perhaps is they did something more like the Army Dump case, but with no windows on the boxes?

It's TRU exclusive blind bag figures. smile.png

You, sir, are a monster! tongue.png

You know what would work for Blind Bags?

Troop builders.

Give me a blind bag wave where buying a case of 24 means I get:

2x Havok

2x Polaris

2x Wolfsbane

2x Strong Guy

2x Quicksilver

1x Random

1x Val Cooper

6x Multiple Man in costume

6x Multiple Man in civvies

This would be a way that i could get behind it. Still - are any of those characters going to be big enough to sell at K-Mart/Target/etc... ? I love your lay-out, but to attract new retailers, you're going to have to give them Wolverines, IronMen, & Hulks (oh my!)

True, true... I was just spitballing what COULD work from a collector standpoint. How about...

2x Captain America

2x Classic Falcon

1x AIM Scientist Supreme

1x Spider MODOK

3x Female SHIELD Agent

3x Male SHIELD Agent

6x Mandroids

6x AIM Soldier

With troop builders like that, they could even forego multiple looks in a single bag in favor of three "different" figures. Agents a,b, and c could all be rocking different faces/hair pieces meaning that true completists would need a whole case worth of troop builders to be 100% but casual troop builders/shoppers would be perfectly happy with their random look agents

True, true... I was just spitballing what COULD work from a collector standpoint. How about...

2x Captain America

2x Classic Falcon

1x AIM Scientist Supreme

1x Spider MODOK

3x Female SHIELD Agent

3x Male SHIELD Agent

6x Mandroids

6x AIM Soldier

With troop builders like that, they could even forego multiple looks in a single bag in favor of three "different" figures. Agents a,b, and c could all be rocking different faces/hair pieces meaning that true completists would need a whole case worth of troop builders to be 100% but casual troop builders/shoppers would be perfectly happy with their random look agents

I could get behind this type of roll-out, they could even throw in a lesser character that might not sell well in a two-pack, like Henry Gyrich or Sharon Carter or comic Dum Dum Duggan or something.

Uncanny 275

4x Blue and Yellow Wolverine/Blue and Yellow Gambit

2x Blue and Yellow Storm/Blue and Yellow Psylocke

1x Blue and Yellow Forge

1x Blue and Yellow Banshee

1x Blue and Yellow Jubilee

1x Xavier in weird getup

2x Savage Land Magneto

1x Savage Land Rogue

1x Kazar

2x Gladiator

1x Lilandra

1x Deathbird

6x Shi'ar warriors

With Wolverine/Gambit and Storm/Psylocke, the basic bodies are the same so a second head and accessories for each would work fine

Agents of SHIELD

2x Coulson

2x Skye

2x Fitz

2x Simmons

2x May

2x Trip

1x Ward

1x Deathlok

1x Garrett

1x Fury

1x Maria Hill

1x Koenig

6x Cybertek Augmented soldiers

Edited by Mnemosis

Nessex mentioned the packaging ,the glory [for manufacturers] of blind-packaging is that each item is generally* identical which ultimately saves the manufacturer packaging costs . Kubricks & palZ were blind-boxed whereas the Lego stuff for example is blind-bagged ......you knew that but have the 'non-openers' here realised that they would probably have to become openers?

* Medicom ultimately got fed up with all their Star Wars kubrick blind-box packaging being identical.......in the later waves the common figures each had their own individual identifying box ,the trick was that the chase/secret figures were randomly laugh.png occasionally no.gif packed in a common figures box replacing the common figure . Once collectors knew which common box held a possible chase they devoured them ......which created further havoc.

Another thing with kubrick blind-boxing is that it almost becomes de rigueur to keep the empty boxes .....it's generally regarded as rude not to trade these on with figures in any sale..............I didn't set the trend I just follow it blush.png Ludicrous.

Non-openers might just as well pack in now. Pun intended.

This may work well with Minimates.....if indeed it is actually the way it is going.......let's see!

In the meantime buy the most accurate set of weighing equipment you can afford .wink.png

While a troop builder BB is ideal for collectors and troop builders it isn't very realistic. A BB layout for say Avengers would likely look something like:

4 Captain America

4 Iron Man

4 Thor

4 Hulk

2 Hawkeye

2 Ultron

1 Black Widow

1 Quicksilver

1 Scarlet Witch

1 Ant Man

Maybe drop Ant Man and add another Black Widow.

Lets face facts here a BB isn't really for us it is more of an impulse buy type item. If a kid begs for one and gets a Troop builder, oh well, but if they don't end up getting a big name hero the second time around the store just lost out on selling any more BBs to that parent and any others she complains to about her kid being so upset about getting a generic no name toy instead of the hero he or she wanted so badly.