UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC Exclusives Revealed!

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete– that pic reminds me: they were wearing riot gear during that particular sequence, weren't they? That kind of accessory would definitely make this set worth the price of admission.

You're right... might have to dig around for pieces to use, Max series I expect.

May have to wait for the Governor to fully recreate it though, can't think of a possible quick custom to make him.

But I'm sure someone with a far greater knowledge than me will suggest the best pieces to use.

Spider-man is garbage. Literally and well......you get the idea.

I will assume you're talking about the movie you haven't seen, and not the product.

I learned my lesson & I'm just hoping the actual 'mates will be a bit more exciting than what we're currently seeing. I just can't believe that that Dragonfly 'beast won't have Wasp's (van Dyne's ) wings which I have always thought were superb,these look opaque . Why on earth pick this character first ....there must be a rational ,logical reason why such a complicated character is being rolled out so early ? So many untried parts in one character is IMO too much too early & I just can't focus on what I'm actually seeing & when I do I don't like it.....here's hoping the actual figure looks way better.

You got it all wrong, BHM. We created him because all of those parts ARE tested -- we've used them all before! If we'd used any Series 1 parts, they definitely would have been untested. Just getting tooled samples now, and they need work.

And I can't remember any time we've shown a prototype where translucent parts were shown as translucent. Pretty sure the wings will be translucent, we just don't cast translucent wings to use in prototypes. Maybe if we'd had blue pre-made, instead of purple.

Edited by Zach Oat

Just to throw some healthy speculation in the mix, who would go in an Avengers set?

Your reasoning pretty much matches my own thinking. Definitely a Wolverine - he's been critical to the story so far, and we've had a lot of Cap this year, so he could be our "A List" character. Protector would work as the "oddball character we'd never get any other way". A new & improved cat-Beast would be great. So would Hawkeye, but he's already had a lot of Minimate love this year. I'd add a new comic-styled Red Hulk, with a more subdued red than the MvC one.

#4 you like to push your opinions on others. The show is great but not a clone of the books. We get it, you don't like it.

I was being tongue-in-cheeky. Sorry if that didn't come across right.

Ah, cool. I am the first to say that sarcasm rarely translates within written text.

The AvX set is Awesome. Emma and Mystique are pretty much the top two characters on my list of "needs an update" so that's one down. Hope is great, always love a new character. Cyclops needed an update slightly less than Emma, but it's still a marked improvementon his current look, so I'm not sneezing at it, and Juggernaut-Colossus... while probably the least vital figure in the set... is still such a cool variant that I have no problem getting him, hehe...

The Spidey set... frankly I'm not nuts about. It seems such a minor difference that it hardly feels worthwhile. I'd likely pass on it were I not a Marvel completionist. I had higher hopes for additional Marvel Exclusives.

The Battle Beasts set, Vorin looks good, but about what I expected him to look like. The dragonfly guy whose name escapes me as I type this... honestly looks a little less impressive. I think a sculpted head would have gone along way. Is he the only Battle Beast that WON'T have a Sculpted head? The lack of Sculpted Head and Chest Armor just makes him feel out of place with what I've seen of the rest.

The Walking Dead set looks fairly straightforward, but that's not to say bad.

That said, don't let my comments mislead, this may actually be the first year I pick up ALL the exclusives... even the non-Marvel ones as I'm enthusiastic about both the Battle Beasts and Walking Dead lines... and would love an early start, due to my aforementioned completionists nature, lol.

Now what was all that "New 80s License" and "Banana" crap about? These exclusives seem pretty straightforward... lol...

I agree with BHM about the zombies from WD. I have read the entire series to date and I feel Adlard's zombies have a decent presence as zombies go. I hope the Minimate zombies get a little more substance in the future. This SDCC version looks to be wearing flip-flops. The likeness on Rick is fantastic.

sdcc1.jpg

I have a scale question:

Does the agreement for Battle Beasts preclude DST from using the larger 2.5" body? I was looking at the image above and noticed that Vorin looks like he's made from a larger body than Zik.

I'm guessing the image of Zik was simply scaled down to fit in the same pic with Vorin but it got me wondering if we'd see the 2.5" bodies (last seen in the DCD line?) resurrected in this line.

The Spidey set... frankly I'm not nuts about. It seems such a minor difference that it hardly feels worthwhile.

Maybe it's not too late to make this the first scratch & sniff Minimate set! Might be a huge selling feature. Might just stink. Might be both!

I don't think so, Chuck has said on several occasions that MMs will forever be @ the 2 inch scale. I see what your saying about the pic, but I'm thinking it's a scale issue as you said, the 2 mates photoshopped to fit together nicely in the frame. And the Vorins that have been produced thus far are based on the 2 inch body as far as I know, I'm sure someone that actually has one can confirm. And I can't imagine they would change the scale at this point.

Should they not make Michone because she hasn't appeared on the show yet?:confused:

Michone showed up at the end of last season's finale. I can see both sides though. Honestly I've been trying to not tell my wife about anything that happens in the comic because she's only seen the show and sometimes what happens in the comic does happen in the show. As for spoilers to most people seeing this on Facebook? I think a lot of people who know nothing of the comic will probably just say DST didn't notice the figure was missing a hand when they took the picture :)

Okay, fine. Should they not make the General until he appears on the show? My point is, why should DST care? They have the comics license, not the show. It's not their concern, as a company trying to make money off a successful comic, whether they spoil something for the TV audience. Also, this is being sold at the San Diego COMIC Con. I'd bet the majority of people attending will have a pretty good idea about Rick's hand.

I have a scale question:

Does the agreement for Battle Beasts preclude DST from using the larger 2.5" body? I was looking at the image above and noticed that Vorin looks like he's made from a larger body than Zik.

I'm guessing the image of Zik was simply scaled down to fit in the same pic with Vorin but it got me wondering if we'd see the 2.5" bodies (last seen in the DCD line?) resurrected in this line.

There's no agreement; DST owns Battle Beasts outright, just like they do Calico Jack and M.A.X. But Chuck doesn't like the 3" body. The only reason there were any 3"ers in the DC line is because DC wanted 'em.

Can someone spoil for me why Juggernuat is dressed like Colossus? My comic reading is still Heroic Age era.

My personal impressions of the exclusives:

AvX - I thought Hope was a baby. Is this a future version or did she age freakishly fast? These are ok and I like the theme better than Age of X and Vamp Wolverine.

Spidey - Blah. If the movie is good I may appreciate more. I wasn't into the Avengers looks until after I saw the movie.

Walking Dead - I appreciate how the style captures the comic art but Max Zombies looked more fun to me. Still I'm incredibly excited for these Minimates. And yes, this was a spoiler to me. I have no idea who the Governor is as well but it goes with the territory. Juggernaut dressing as Colossus is a spoiler too.

Battle Beast - I hated the Dragonfly on first look but he's growing on me. I think he'd look better if scaled properly in the photo. He doesn't look insect-y enough to me. Weird color choices. Oh well.

I'll get them all.

Edited by Jatta Pake

May ultimately go with slightly different Colossonaut chest, and helmet is not final colors. And that's not hair behind Hope's knee -- not a Phoenix base, either. New pics soon.

As long as we're talking tooling on Colossus... I wonder if he might look better with Juggernaut's boots... with the cuff. They just feel more "Crimson Bands of Cyttorak" to me. I can't find any pics of him from the waist down however, so I have no idea how accurate that would or wouldn't be. Does Colossus have boot cuffs as Juggernaut?

I don't know if I like the extra detailing on the helmet. Kinda makes it look over-done. I think I prefer the smooth helmet. I see the bolted bands in some art of him, but his helmet appears smooth in others, so I think a case could be made for either version. In any case, I'll wait to see the final product. (Zach mentioned extra parts... the Smooth Helmet would be a nice one, just... for the sake of options *Shrug*)

I have no complaints about Hope, Cyclops or Emma. And for the record, I didn't notice the Orange stuff behind Hope, but now I want to know what the hell it is... lol.

PS. I note Zach thinks we'll be more excited about the AFX sets. This pleases me.

Edited by Gillbob316

1338838984[/url]' post='229921']

Can someone spoil for me why Juggernuat is dressed like Colossus? My comic reading is still Heroic Age.

I can, because Miry is off at his first day of new job training, but I'll spoiler tag it.

it happened in Fear Itself. Juggernaut (Cain Marko) picked up a fear hammer or whatever they are. So to make Juggsy not unstoppable anymore, Illyana and Kitty and C-Loss went to Cytorrak's realm to tell him Cain was basically cheating on him. Cytorrak was, obviously, super pissed and took away Juggsy's unstoppable-ness and Illyana was going to become the New Juggernaut, but Piotor said "Aw Hells Naw!" and he became the new avatar of Cytorrak instead. And now he's bald. So if his Minimate comes with a hairpiece, I will be very disappointed.

Edited by The Geohound

Can someone spoil for me why Juggernuat is dressed like Colossus? My comic reading is still Heroic Age era.

My personal impressions of the exclusives:

AvX - I thought Hope was a baby. Is this a future version or did she age freakishly fast?

Juggernaut isn't dressed like Colossus. Colossus is dressed like Juggernaut.

I didn't read it either, but I've read up on it...

Colossus convinced Cyttorak to take the powers away from Cain... as a means of stopping him during last years big event. Cain was also one of the Worthy, though he's not in the minimates boxed set, hehe. As I understand it Cyttorak meant for the powers to go to Magik, but Colossus intercepted them (no I'm not sure how the hell that works, lol... you'd think Cyttorak would have more control over that sort of thing... especially since he never seems to have a problem stripping Cain of the powers on a whim.)

So now Colossus is still Colossus, but he has the Juggernaut powers on top of that. Bulky frame, Cool Helmet, Crimson Bands, and Unstoppableness and all.

I'm sure it won't last, and eventually Piotr will be Piotr and Cain will be Juggernaut again. But for now... that's technically Colossus' "Current" look... Colossus IS "The Juggernaut" and as far as I know Cain is in a depowered limbo.

Edited by Gillbob316

There's no agreement; DST owns Battle Beasts outright, just like they do Calico Jack and M.A.X. But Chuck doesn't like the 3" body. The only reason there were any 3"ers in the DC line is because DC wanted 'em.

I'd forgotten that Battle Beasts was an in-house property. Thanks for the reminder.

Not to nitpick (okay, just to nitpick) but when you say 3-inch body you're actually referring to the 2.5-inch body introduced in the Lord of the Rings line and used in the DCD line as well. The 3-inch body was the original Minimate buck used on figures like Bruce Lee, Dark Angel, and KISS.

Either way, I don't understand Chuck's disdain for the larger bodies. I know it's probably easier to cost 'mates at one particular size but it seems like a cop-out when you've got certain characters that scream to be larger. (Minimates in lifts don't always cut it, in my opinion.)

Regarding the TWD spoiler about Rick's hand...

Virtually ever cover of TWD that has featured Rick since issue #28 (now at #98) has depicted Rick without his hand.

There's a hell of a lot of spoilers out there for the TV audience that have never read TWD comic.

I have a scale question:

I think it was scaled down a little too far. Most of those parts are from Theater Ghost, and with the longer torso he should be a little taller than Vorin... I think. I've got the theater ghost's torso on Vorin's legs, and he's looking pretty tall.

The Spidey set... frankly I'm not nuts about. It seems such a minor difference that it hardly feels worthwhile.

Maybe it's not too late to make this the first scratch & sniff Minimate set! Might be a huge selling feature. Might just stink. Might be both!

I will personally add odors to all of your Spidey Minimates.

Edited by Zach Oat

I'd forgotten that Battle Beasts was an in-house property. Thanks for the reminder.

Not to nitpick (okay, just to nitpick) but when you say 3-inch body you're actually referring to the 2.5-inch body introduced in the Lord of the Rings line and used in the DCD line as well. The 3-inch body was the original Minimate buck used on figures like Bruce Lee, Dark Angel, and KISS.

Either way, I don't understand Chuck's disdain for the larger bodies. I know it's probably easier to cost 'mates at one particular size but it seems like a cop-out when you've got certain characters that scream to be larger. (Minimates in lifts don't always cut it, in my opinion.)

I'm lifting this post about the same topic I made in the Alpha Flight thread to respond here...

------------------------

I've said it before, though not for quite some time... I don't WANT 3-Inch. Part of the appeal for this line, to me, is the wealth of interchangeable parts. I don't like the monkey-wrench that different sizes throw into the works.

It annoyed me that I couldn't take Gandalf's Head and use it to make a movie Magneto, because Gandalf was too big. It annoys me that figures like Bane and Croc really can't use any of the parts/accessories from anything else I own, because nothing fits them. Not only can you not use their parts on anything, but nothing elses parts can be used on them.

I wouldn't say no to figures with DRASTICALLY different sizes... in small doses. like Galactus and Sentinels. I own the Maximates and think they're cool. And it would be awesome if they made minimates so huge.

But for figures with only SLIGHTLY bigger frames... like Hulk, or Croc... I prefer solutions like Bulked up, and the waist spacers, and powerhouse chests. I don't see where we need a whole additional scale of base figures to add a little bit of height.

------------------------

I understand the unwillingness to introduce a second scale to the line... it takes away from the spirit of what these toys ARE... why the hell do I want some random figure in my collection that has no sense of compatibility with all the rest?

It's not like this is a very high realism line in the first place...

Yep, you're right, it's the (I guess we should call it) midsize body. I personally like 'mates to be uniform in size, but I'm not much of a scale guy. It never bothered me that Hulk was the same size as Spider-Man. It bugs me more that, in the DC line, Bane is the same size as Kilowog.

EDITED to say: Gillbob and I were typing at the same time, but he made the same point much better then I did.

Edited by hellpop