UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU wave 8 - FF!

minijeff

off topic but Mnemosis; we have these scalpers that come in first thing in the morning and buy stuff then return them exactly 7 days later, i assume because they did not sell on ebay. What do you guys do about these dudes? My bosses always said we couldnt do anything but other stores can be different.

We don't see that happen at our store, thankfully. The guys who come into our store are all true blue collectors. At least, the ones I've seen. They're actually a pretty great group of guys and a lot of times will stop to chat.

IF that were something that was happening, I don't think there's anything we could do outright. I know, for my part, I wouldn't ever go out of my way for them like I would the actual collectors.

And to everyone, please, don't get me wrong... bitch! I don't like the practice anymore than anyone else. When I work at a store and STILL manage to miss out on certain figures just because I wasn't there on the ONE day that we got a shipment of them, it's infuriating! I just always get soured by the "it's bad business" argument, because if it were, someone would've put an end to it by now.

Finally, to those of you above, thanks! I don't want to upset anyone - Tenime's one of my best friends, in fact. I just wanted to bring a few points to light. Again, thanks for all the warm fuzzies.

Now where the hell is wave 37!?

Oh, and, um, FF wave? Meh. I'll almost certainly pass, but I MIGHT get Sue if I see her. Maybe.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also not just that variants and short-packed items works for TRU, but for DST as well. Having items that are hard to find creates a buzz for a toy line. I know that I, at times, have almost bought toys from lines that I don't collect when I saw them just because I knew they were "HTF". On the other hand, I've passed up toys that I was interested in just because they were everywhere and easily found again. Looking at Minimates, I'm much more likely to buy the shortpacked item when I see it, because I'm not sure I'll see it again. For example, I bought the IM2 set with the Black Widow as much because I might want it later and not be able to find it as I wanted it at that moment. I'm more likely to buy all the sets I'm interested in when I see them rather then taking a chance and not being able to find them later.

Hope I'm making my point clearly....

Oh, and, um, FF wave? Meh. I'll almost certainly pass, but I'm going to hook TENIME up with every Atlantean Soldier that comes in.

Fixt. :P

Assuming I'm not flat broke? You got it buddy!

It's also not just that variants and short-packed items works for TRU, but for DST as well. Having items that are hard to find creates a buzz for a toy line. I know that I, at times, have almost bought toys from lines that I don't collect when I saw them just because I knew they were "HTF". On the other hand, I've passed up toys that I was interested in just because they were everywhere and easily found again. Looking at Minimates, I'm much more likely to buy the shortpacked item when I see it, because I'm not sure I'll see it again. For example, I bought the IM2 set with the Black Widow as much because I might want it later and not be able to find it as I wanted it at that moment. I'm more likely to buy all the sets I'm interested in when I see them rather then taking a chance and not being able to find them later.

Hope I'm making my point clearly....

EXCELLENT POINT! I collect GI Joe figures, and when the new Pursuit of Cobra line came out, I very nearly snatched up the new Cobra Commander. I HATE the design and have plenty of CC's I like better, but this guy was supposed to be rare. I went back and forth on it before finally deciding I really didn't need the figure at all. Still, I was one moment of weakness away from buying a toy I really had no interest in owning.

Nice, did you score a set? What was the case ratio like?

Yeah, bought everyone but the Atlantean Soldier/Namor set. Just don't need another Namor, and don't care enough about the Soldier to justify it (he didn't look great). Case looked to be pretty even; there were two of every pack, three of the Doom/Reed set (I would bet there's three of the Torch/Thing as well, but I didn't notice). Should be plenty for all.

Universal Monsters are out too, though I'm going to go to that thread to spread the word (and no, I didn't get any. I'm not made of money!).

Man, I was hoping they would be out earlier this month or late Nov so it wouldn't conflict with my vacation plans. Oh well, just have to wait until ebay prices settle down in a few months if I don't get lucky in store. Please let me be lucky. Please let me be lucky. Please let me be lucky. Happy hunting and army building guys!

and don't care enough about the Soldier to justify it (he didn't look great).

Seriously, there's something wrong with you. :P

You've just gotta see him in person. He's just an Ares repaint with a blue head and black pants. Just not as impressive as I'd thought he'd be.

Just getting around to opening these now (sorry, my Spidey Friends and Foes set also arrived today, and I just spent ten minutes putting in Doc Ock's arms <_< ). Mole Man reuses the Doc Ock powerhouse chest (though I suppose we need a new name for that); you can even see the imprints on the back where they filled the holes (it's faint, don't worry, you wouldn't notice if you didn't know to look). He also has the Moon Knight cape that I'm rapidly growing to hate, and Ma Hunkle feet! Sue comes with both regular and translucent arms and legs, an invisible shield, and for some reason, a flight stand (not that I'm complaining)! Nice set.

Reed comes with the streachy base from the BD one, and Doom comes with a gun and the scarred head we all spotted from the package photos. Don't recognize the blaster; is it possible it's not a reuse? Doom's got on the Moon Knight hood (nice) and the Skrull neck piece painted a darker green, and Ares feet. He's really nice.

Torch comes with a flame base (as you'd expect) and fireballs for his hands. Thing comes with full extension pieces, plus regular hands and feet. Nothing hidden underneath. His boots are Marshmallow Man feet, which are really clunky and odd.

Oh, and there's a new POSTER! With the illustration that's been at the DST booth of late, and a CARTOON! Nifty.

Okay, I've got ten new Minimates to play with...! :buttrock:

You've just gotta see him in person. He's just an Ares repaint with a blue head and black pants. Just not as impressive as I'd thought he'd be.

I don't have to see it in person. It's a troop builder and thus needs to be built. Half the troop builders out there are just ho-hum, but they must form an army anyway (just like the real military).

The Namor pack is going to be a pass for me I think. I'm happy with the two I already have. Nice to hear Reed has the stretch base but I still wish he had the arms. Maybe I can paint an old set to match the new lighter color. Looks like I'll be swinging by TRU on my way home...