UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spider-man Friends and Foes

SouthFLGuy

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally picked this set up today [i'd gotten 33 and the Iron Man 2 Army Builder dump from them earlier in the week].

Vulture stays as is. No problems with the two-tone green.

Doc Ock... I have no idea how I got him to work but I did. Shaved down the peg holes a bit, and that seems to have done the trick. It was a bear plugging the pegs into them though; time will tell if the damn things stay there.

Spidey's going to stay as is, although I gave his web shooter to Scarlet Spider. The weblines go into the parts bin.

I'll gladly buy another Battle-Ravaged Spidey just for the webshooter if you guys don't particularly want him].

Black Cat... I gave her fur collar to wave 10 Black Cat for now. I'll try and get a wave 10 Black Cat torso for this if I can find one so I can have a Black Cat with sculpted forearm and leg fur deco.

Edited by lastmaximal

my set came in the post on thursday, and i immediately started Project: Justify Purchase.

i've repaired Spider-Man and Black Cat's skin tone... absolutely loving the Spidey now, looks fantastic. BC's two skin tones are a much better match now... not perfect, but certainly near enough.

Vulture's wings only needed to be made a little greener... for anyone interested, Citadel Colour 'Scorpion Green' is a perfect match to his comic appearance.

Doc Ock isn't quite finished... mine came with almost no yellow on him at all... so i'm still applying layer after layer of the yellow stuff to bring him up to scratch. After pushing the holes a little bigger with a thin pair of scissors, there was no problem getting the tentacles in.

will stick a pic up tomorrow

I woke up this morning and witnessed a miracle! I had no idea that the 4 minimates, making up the Spider-Man friends and foes boxed set, knew that their quality was substandard. I guess they felt compelled to correct their obvious flaws seeing as how DST wouldn't.

I grabbed my camera and snapped these pics. Truly amazing!

th_fix1.jpgth_fix2.jpg

th_fix3.jpgth_fix4.jpg

Great pics MM! And just out of curiosity, how are people fixing the paint issues without priming first? I've didn't think the paint would adhere to the figures (at least, that's what I discovered when I first started customizing).

Great pics MM! And just out of curiosity, how are people fixing the paint issues without priming first? I've didn't think the paint would adhere to the figures (at least, that's what I discovered when I first started customizing).

i've certainly had that problem in the past... but it went straight on these guys, no problems what so ever

Awesome pics Mirymate.

Can we see the finished results too? particularly Vulture!

Um... I'd say thanks but I think you got the wrong guy. See I'm Mi-R-y M-A-te. He's Mi-N-i M-Y-te. His avatar his a smoking ape, mine is an upsidedown, blue apeman. The confusion is, I suppose, understandable.

However, MINI_MYTE can apparently take in focus action figure photos, which is a skill I have yet to master.

yeah, very nice! damn, just lookin' at YOUR vulture minimate makes me even more bummed out about those crappy yellow wings on mine... :(

and black cat's ja-hoobies look so much better (AND healthier :P ) in those pics, too.

Edited by velvet

Great touch-ups bobafett. I agree that how they should have looked. Maybe you should be appointed to head of quality assurance at DST.

Question: What type/colour paint did you use for BC's flesh tone?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Question: What type/colour paint did you use for BC's flesh tone?

same as you sir... Citadel Colour Elf Flesh.. though i added a tiny amount of white, as BC's face is also a little pale compared to usual minimate skin tone.

CC E.flesh is however an absolutely perfect match to the thick flesh tone on Spider-man.

thanks for the positive comments everyone!

• 1 month later...

Aside from paint issues (Black Cat's chest, Pete's face full of faint web lines) everything's cool. I like Vulture and Doc Ock, I think they're spot-on. The yellowish wings don't bother me that much (it's kinda like how ML's Vulture has lighter wings). Looking forward to more Spidey Minimates. :)

Edited by fnwebslinger

i just picked up a set last weekend, too. i didn't want to order them, but since they were in the comic shop i snatched em up. i put Black Cat's head on the old Black Cat body. Vulture's wings don't make a diff to me as i don't think i've ever read a comic with him in it. and Doc Ock's tentacles stay in for the most part. i had to bite down on the tip of one to get it skinny enough to go in, but since then they've all stayed. i gave BD spiderman to my newphew, so no great loss there.

• 3 months later...

For those that want the short version, jump to paragraph two. I'm not sure if anyone else posted this. This forum is too long for me to check, so here I go. I got this set a while back, even after hearing of all of the problems. I accepted the problems of everyone, but Doctor Octopus. I tried to put his arms in to no avail. I put him back in the package and decided I'd figure something out someday. Today I was updating my shelves with the new FF TRU set, and decided that I'd just super-glue Doc's arms into his back. I was inspecting the back, giving it one last try, and remembered a trick.

I took off Doctor Octopus's stomach/back piece and hit it with the blow dryer on low medium heat for about a minute. I then was able to pop his tentacles into each spot. It was still a bit tight, but took little to no effort to snap in. It helps if you put the back piece on the tip of your finger as you put the tentacles in.

Sorry if that was too longwinded or detailed. I was just excited that I fixed my previously completely useless figure. He even stands perfectly on his own. I hope this helps a few people.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to necro-post this thread, but I finally decided to pick up this set, after much debate, when I realized that I needed Vulture and this was probably all we were gonna get. And it does suck in the way everyone has previously said. Thanks for listening.

I will try Cramer's trick, though.

I gotta say, while the paint skin tone is watered down and the wings are much more yellow than green, I did not experience the problems the rest of you seem to have with getting Ock's arms into the back piece. It does take a significant amount of force to get them in, I didn't have to heat or glue anything and they stand up to the kids playing with them.

Just sayin'

>shrug<

As a follow-up, I heated Doc Ock with a hairdryer for about a minute, and voila. Just like Cramer said, they snapped right in, no problem. Now he's display-worthy. That little factor has increased my affection for this set many-fold. I've still got no use for Spidey and Black Cat, but Doc Ock and Vulture are good enough!