UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The NFL Thread

karamazov80

I have only been able to catch one game and the tail end of two others but Yeah I have been a fan since I was a kid and seeing them be the team I wished I could root for is great. I just wish they would stop with the down to the wire shnanegans.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only been able to catch one game and the tail end of two others but Yeah I have been a fan since I was a kid and seeing them be the team I wished I could root for is great. I just wish they would stop with the down to the wire shnanegans.

If that were the case we would not get to hear the idiot announcer say "cardiac cats" 3 dozen times.

In the blue corner: Wallbreaker and Handsomedevil.

In the gold corner: Karamazov and Shanester.

You ready? You ready? Let's get it on!

As for the Giants game, I expect the Saints will win by at least 20 points. The Giants will be humbled, Iron Sheik style :lol:

:blush:

That was horrible. And the worst part of all--that was the only game they were showing here, and they stayed with it, even after half time! Why??

Maybe they believe in miracles? Or they thought you'd want to keep watching in the chance that the Patriots put up triple digits which was completely inside the realm of possibility until the first string came out.

BTW does anyone want to talk shit about Brady now?

Edited by minimadman

To put an 0-4 team (correction--05 team!) in the "marquee," nationally televised game to begin with just boggles me. But to stay with that game after that kind of score is just ridiculous. I was being a cynic myself and thinking that they kept it after half time because they had already broken so many team and NFL records of great shellacking and were going to break more. From a historical perspective, that makes some sense, but from an economic perspective, it doesn't, because no one wants to watch that except Pats fans. It was just one good team against one pathetic one. You might as well have had a high school team playing the Pats.

As for talking about Brady, yeah--unnecessarily running up the score against one of the most pathetic teams in the league who gave up before the game even started is very impressive :D

Edited by karamazov80

To put an 0-4 team (correction--05 team!) in the "marquee," nationally televised game to begin with just boggles me. But to stay with that game after that kind of score is just ridiculous. I was being a cynic myself and thinking that they kept it after half time because they had already broken so many team and NFL records of great shellacking and were going to break more. From a historical perspective, that makes some sense, but from an economic perspective, it doesn't, because no one wants to watch that except Pats fans. It was just one good team against one pathetic one. You might as well have had a high school team playing the Pats.

As for talking about Brady, yeah--unnecessarily running up the score against one of the most pathetic teams in the league who gave up before the game even started is very impressive :D

I would hardly call it unnecessary. It's not as though the only people talking about how Brady had lost it were the fine folks of this board. He sent a strong and loud message today that he is still an elite quarterback in the NFL.

I would hardly call it unnecessary. It's not as though the only people talking about how Brady had lost it were the fine folks of this board. He sent a strong and loud message today that he is still an elite quarterback in the NFL.

I was just messing with you. I thought those comments about Brady experiencing a major drop-off in his abilities were really premature, as well. For the official record, Brady annoys the crap out of me, but I wouldn't question his abilities on the football field.

I do agree with the commentators of the Saints game today, though, that Brees should be included when people throw out the names of the best QBs in the league (i.e. Peyton and Brady). 4 TDs for Brees today, btw. :buttrock:

Edited by karamazov80

I was just messing with you. I thought those comments about Brady experiencing a major drop-off in his abilities were really premature, as well. For the official record, Brady annoys the crap out of me, but I wouldn't question his abilities on the football field.

I do agree with the commentators of the Saints game today, though, that Brees should be included when people throw out the names of the best QBs in the league (i.e. Peyton and Brady). 4 TDs for Brees today, btw. :buttrock:

I know. I have been a fan of Drew Brees since he came into the league and I knew when the Chargers chose Rivers over Brees that it was a mistake. I really like watching the guy play and would definitely consider him in among the best in the NFL.

What do you think will happen next week when the Patriots play the Bucs?

First off, congrats to the Saints. Their offense is potent to say the least. They are looking tough and gave the Giants a much needed wake up call. We'll see you guys again for some revenge in the playoffs...

Secondly, Tom Brady had a great game. It's about time. He's my fantasy QB and he hasn't been his usual self this year. Glad to see that the Titans inspired him!

What do you think will happen next week when the Patriots play the Bucs?

Though anything could happen on any given day in the NFL, I don't think it will be pretty. I feel bad for my poor divisional rivals. They are such a mess right now.

Since the Colts were off yesterday I didn't really pay any attention to the games yesterday. Since looking I have to ask the question how anybody could be proud of what the Pats did yesterday? Let me quote Tom Brady about the game:

“Every week we’re learning something more about ourselves and what we can do,” Brady said. “There’s no doubt a game like this can give you a lot of confidence.”

What did they really learn by embarrassing an already bad team? It's like me beating my nine year old in arm wrestling and then saying it's a good confidence builder for me. I don't usually rant about sports, but the whole thing stinks of poor sportsmanship.

I used to be of one mind re: running up the score, and now I'm of another.

Yes, it does seem insulting to keep piling it on when it isn't needed. On the other hand, the other team is being paid to play, too. If they can't stop the other team, then that is their fault. In some ways, the more respect is being shown when the score is run up, because they are not taking any chances that a team could come back to win.

Bellicheck's philosophy is supposedly this--"always play your hardest, no matter what." Whether you are up or down. That's not such a bad philosophy on its face, IMO. Of course, his apparent willingness to videotape other people's practices, etc. may be an unfortunate extension of the "win at any cost, with no mercy" mentality.

I don't like Bellicheck, and I don't like Brady, but the proof is in the pudding--look at their Superbowl rings and win percentage over the last 10 years or so. Football is about winning, and maybe it takes a merciless, "unsportsmanlike" philosophy (with a dash of dirty tricks ;) ) to be the best winner.

Edited by karamazov80

I do understand the flip-side of the way. I know there's nothing 'technically' wrong with it, but is it really necessary? I just appreciate other teams in the league that show a little more sportmanship (and maybe even some professional courtesy) to other teams that are having a bad year. I don't expect anyone to let a team win or jeopardize their chances of winning, but at some point it's just in bad taste.

Not to open up a different arguement or insult anyone, but I do know from experience that a lot of people on the east coast seem to think differently than a lot of people in the mid-west and maybe that's where the real issue stems from.

The Patriots are coached by a cheating thug. A KNOWN cheating thug. That's a fact not up for debate, spin, or Homer talk. But the cheating thug makes the NFL a lot of money, so no one in authority cares. Or more to the point, the idea of really doing a serious investigation of what happened, and possibly having to void Superbowl championships and the like was deemed too costly and embarrassing so wrists were slapped, tapes were burned, and the rug at NFL headquarters got a little lumpier..

No I'm not saying Brady is a bad quarterback , or saying they lack talented players. The tragedy is that they are a good football team. But the got caught cheating and that puts all those wins, including all those rings, into question. So no, it doesn't shock me that they ran up the score. I'm actually more surprised they stopped at 59.

But then this was a weird football week anyway. Hapless Oakland beats the Eagles. Apparently Mac5 doesn't know you only get 3 time outs a half in addition to not knowing about how tie games work. Go figure. The Giants get steam rolled by the Saints. I'm sorry, the fact that the Saint are any good anyway is just too weird let alone that they can embarrass Eli and Company like that. And then there was Carolina and Tampa Bay... too really bad teams trying to figure out which one could lose the game first.

The Patriots are coached by a cheating thug. A KNOWN cheating thug. That's a fact not up for debate, spin, or Homer talk. But the cheating thug makes the NFL a lot of money, so no one in authority cares. Or more to the point, the idea of really doing a serious investigation of what happened, and possibly having to void Superbowl championships and the like was deemed too costly and embarrassing so wrists were slapped, tapes were burned, and the rug at NFL headquarters got a little lumpier..

No I'm not saying Brady is a bad quarterback , or saying they lack talented players. The tragedy is that they are a good football team. But the got caught cheating and that puts all those wins, including all those rings, into question. So no, it doesn't shock me that they ran up the score. I'm actually more surprised they stopped at 59.

But then this was a weird football week anyway. Hapless Oakland beats the Eagles. Apparently Mac5 doesn't know you only get 3 time outs a half in addition to not knowing about how tie games work. Go figure. The Giants get steam rolled by the Saints. I'm sorry, the fact that the Saint are any good anyway is just too weird let alone that they can embarrass Eli and Company like that. And then there was Carolina and Tampa Bay... too really bad teams trying to figure out which one could lose the game first.

I am not going to get to indignant with this but the following is a true statement: Every team in the NFL did and possibly still does what the Pats were caught doing. Every team. If they say they don't they are liars. Bill Belichek did not invent cheating. The big difference is the fact that at the time they were completely blowing teams out. It's like stealing signs in MLB. Everyone does it or at the very least they try. I also do not agree that blowing a team out is unsportsman like. Regardless of the way they played yesterday those were all professional athletes out there, not kids playing Pop Warner. And yes there is a difference. You can't hold the Pats responsible for the ineptitude of the Titans.

Edited by minimadman

Well, it is also possible that the Titans pulled a Black Sox scam on everyone in last week's game. I'm sure there would be a lot of money to win through a historical loss like that (not as much as if the Pats had lost by that margin, but. . .).

Edited by karamazov80