UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Error, Does not compute?

Punisher

I for one love that Marvel's biggest loner is a member of every team ever. It just makes so much sense.

In the old days, Wolvie may have been over-exposed, but at least he was only on one team, and often spent his time doing his own thing there. Wolverine as an Avenger is particularly bizarre to me, as is Spidey as a "regular" member.

for the avengers thing, i mean it is suposed to be EARTHS MIGHTIEST HEROES and wolverine is suposed to be mighty.

Edited by robomate

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the original idea for the Avengers was--Marvel's big stars thrown together in their own team. But Wolverine (despite his past working for the Canadian government) had turned into a very anti-establishment kind of character over the years, and in my feeling, the Avengers were the establishment, at least until Busiek took over the series and tried to do something different with it. The X-Men were a bunch of outcasts, who acted for the greater good despite the opposition that they faced from the public and many other "hero" groups. Avengers. . .not so much. Admittedly, I haven't read Avengers in years, and I know that they have been tarnished with Vision killing people, bad guys taking over their roles, etc., but to me, the Avengers are akin to the JLA--the flagship group of shiny, beautiful heroes with only the odd personality disorder or spousal abuse shaking things up a bit. Not a bunch of hated freaks, which is the only group Wolvie belongs in, IMO.

Edited by karamazov80

Wolverine in the Avengers is definitely weird. The Avengers are Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and Wolverine just isn't a hero. Not in the traditional, Avengers kind of way. (What he does, what he's the best at, it's not being a nice, neat team player.) He makes perfect sense in the X-Men and its offshoots, like karamazov said, because it's the loner, outcast group. And he's a mutant. But I think he is even over exposed in those groups. He doesn't belong on EVERY X-team.

And Spiderman also shouldn't be a regular member of a team. He is an everyman-type hero, not an Earth's Mightiest hero type of hero, even though he does have what it takes. Team ups are good. Avengers-membership is not.

Of note here is the fact that Wolverine's part of the New Avengers, which in itself isn't even an Avengers team in the traditional sense anymore. Heck, there sort-of hasn't been a "traditional" Avengers team since Avengers Disassembled (which of course snowballed into House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion...) Since then the whole thing has splintered into several factions: the more "underground" New Avengers (which was led by Captain America up until his death), the more "establishment" Mighty Avengers (led by Iron Man... well, at least until Hank Pym came back, then the team has since contrived itself to be a "return to form" for the old-school Avengers), and now the blatantly anti-heroic Dark Avengers (led by... do I even need to say it?)

Edited by NorthRaider

Yeah, I understand there is this whole messy new Marvel U, and that here, Wolvie and Spidey can be Avengers somehow, Dr. Doom can be an X-Man, Mr. Fantastic can be a member of the Masters of Evil, etc. But in "my" Marvel Universe, the Avengers are not whatever they are now. Personally, I wish Marvel would have dealt with all that nonsense in the "Ultimates Universe," and wouldn't mess so much with the iconic nature of these teams we all grew up with. Sometimes "shaking things up" for the sake of doing and "shocking" everyone every other issue it isn't a way to run a business, IMO.

Just to play devil's advocate, I don't think there's anything odd about the current configuration of the Avengers. The team's always been kind of a weird catch-all of random heroes with not much in common. Granted, the specific inclusion of Wolverine and Spidey are pretty unabashed sales-drivers, but the actual composition of the team is as "traditional" as any other roster we've seen over the years.

59 11 72 50 47 17 96 50 74 81

47 89 89

please let the next code be

59 11 72 50 47 17 96 50 74 81

47 89 89

there's a custom on ebay right now that i'm thinking about getting but man i just know once i throw down the bucks for it, we'll get a real one!

Yeah, I understand there is this whole messy new Marvel U, and that here, Wolvie and Spidey can be Avengers somehow, Dr. Doom can be an X-Man, Mr. Fantastic can be a member of the Masters of Evil, etc. But in "my" Marvel Universe, the Avengers are not whatever they are now. Personally, I wish Marvel would have dealt with all that nonsense in the "Ultimates Universe," and wouldn't mess so much with the iconic nature of these teams we all grew up with. Sometimes "shaking things up" for the sake of doing and "shocking" everyone every other issue it isn't a way to run a business, IMO.

Man, I'm with you. Some of it is entertaining and some of it just reeks. I'm too much of an old Silver Age fan to enjoy stuff like this as much. The lines between Marvel U and Ultimate U have gotten blurry and I don't enjoy it as much. I don't want a Penance minimate, I want Speedball. I don't want Mac Gargan Venom... I want Scorpion. Same in my comics as with my minimates. True, there's progression and there's stagnation... but all the dark tradgedy stuff for the sake of shock factor gets pretty damned old after awhile. And in this market, it gets easier and easier to cut comics not to read and save money for stuff you'll enjoy (independent books, old reprint collections).

The disappointment from Secret Invasion was that things got even worse than they already were. I understand that Marvel Inc. wants the regular universe to be more edgy and startling, where anything can happen at any moment. But it doesn't feel that way. It just feels like they want the bad guys to win all the time just for the sake of something different. Drag.

I want to see Clint Barton as Hawkeye and Bullseye get the living shit kicked out of him. Really tired of gleeful murderers or rapists and the like getting away scott free. I want to see the bad guys get what's coming to them. I think between Civil War, Secret Invasion and now this Dark Reign stuff we've had plenty of "shaking up" in the Marvel U.

Edited by Mystery Man

Man, I'm with you. Some of it is entertaining and some of it just reeks. I'm too much of an old Silver Age fan to enjoy stuff like this as much. The lines between Marvel U and Ultimate U have gotten blurry and I don't enjoy it as much. I don't want a Penance minimate, I want Speedball. I don't want Mac Gargan Venom... I want Scorpion. Same in my comics as with my minimates. True, there's progression and there's stagnation... but all the dark tradgedy stuff for the sake of shock factor gets pretty damned old after awhile. And in this market, it gets easier and easier to cut comics not to read and save money for stuff you'll enjoy (independent books, old reprint collections).

The disappointment from Secret Invasion was that things got even worse than they already were. I understand that Marvel Inc. wants the regular universe to be more edgy and startling, where anything can happen at any moment. But it doesn't feel that way. It just feels like they want the bad guys to win all the time just for the sake of something different. Drag.

I want to see Clint Barton as Hawkeye and Bullseye get the living shit kicked out of him. Really tired of gleeful murderers or rapists and the like getting away scott free. I want to see the bad guys get what's coming to them. I think between Civil War, Secret Invasion and now this Dark Reign stuff we've had plenty of "shaking up" in the Marvel U.

I like things being shaken up personally. I do seem to get let down alot though. they always try to "shake things up" but never actually do anything worthwhile. for example, I wanted to see hulk actually DO something to the illuminati for sending him into space, like kill at least ONE of them. but nope. and secret invasion was the most disappointing crap i've ever read. seven issues of absolutely nothing important happening. except for mockingbird coming back

and wasp dying if anyone cared (it really didn't even seem like the writer gave a shit enough to put any emotion into her death)

for example, I wanted to see hulk actually DO something to the illuminati for sending him into space, like kill at least ONE of them.

What, you didn't like World War Hulk? :blink:

Does the future-Wolverine in Old Man Logan count?

Yep, that's one of the 2 solo titles. :)

One of my favourite Marvel covers was that X-Force/X-Statix one where it's just Wolverine standing there, saying something like "I'm just here to boost sales" :lol:

With New Avengers, it's not really meant to be anything like the shiny Avengers (and 'Mighty' was created to appease those fans not too long after 'New' anyway), except for using the same concept of heros gathered together by one incident and forming a team. Since they formed during a New York prison break, they just happen to be a bit more ghetto... And while including Spider-Man and Wolverine looks like just a cash grab from the outside, if you read the early issues Bendis does two of my favorite/funniest takes on both of them (and the two characters play off each other brilliantly sometimes).

Even when I don't like specific big events sometimes, I appreciate how they constantly grow and change the Marvel U these days (instead of weirdly rebooting things all the time like DC). Reading old X-series trades recently, it seems like they were doing this before, in the '80s, with Storm taking over the X-Men, and training New Mutants to take over, while the original X-Men went off to start X-Factor, etc etc. But then in the '90s there was this nostalgia backlash, and they put Cylcops and everyone back in their "place". It's like the new writers wanted to reset things to what they'd grown up with instead of moving forward with new ideas...

That'd be my guess. What does the WW2 Wolverine look like? Are they going to re-use the Sgt. Rock helmet, maybe the chest piece from the Shield trooper in the Ultimates wave, put a Wolverine head on it and call it good?

And I think it's clear who the variant is now.

Either WW2 or WW1 Wolvie. I have to say I'm completely underwhelmed by this announcement. I just cant help thinking its going to be parts use of the Platoon Minimates with a set of Wolvie clawed hands if its a WW2 figure. On the brightside we do get a Moonknight, Black Panther, Storm and Hydra Agent to balance out the bad Wolvie karma.

I dont remember ever seeing Wolverine in a costume set in either WW's like Cap Am. The only thing that springs to mind is Wolverine as Captain Terror from the new Avengers/Invaders series but I can't see it being that its just to obscure.

He's had some war flashbacks in both Wolverine and Wolverine: Origins, so I imagine we'll be seeing something from that.

I agree that it is a bit puzzling. Some special ops gear from the Enemy of the State storyline would have made more sense paired with a Hydra agent, but, eh, I'll take it either way. I'd much rather have a variant like this than some iconic moment that we'd all die if we failed to grab it.

Just done a quick google and Issues #16-20 of Wolverine Origins has Wolverine in WW2 with Cap Am. The Covers can be seen HERE. Nothing major really just Wolvie in a Leather Jacket and Cowboy hat. I think its very similar to the figure in the upcoming Wolverine through the ages boxset.

I would still guess as more of an army solider look to tie in with the movie.

Going with the Wolverine variant idea. Couldn't the variant end up being X-23?

Different characters as varients is not nice Are Awesome. We Need More.

Fixed that for you. :P

All joking aside, that's my favorite kind a variant, the ones that are different characters. Julia Carpenter being a prime example along with Tarantula, Thunderstrike and Vision 2.0 to a lesser extent. It makes getting them all the more meaningful and exciting.

Wow AA, really? Look, I get it. They're going to drown us in Wolverine Mates, but can we at least spread the freaking things out a bit? PLEASE?? I can think of numerous characters they could package with Wolverine whose chances are slim without him, but so far this year we've gotten: Blue Yellow Wolverine, the movie series with 5 Wolverines(FIVE)!!, a boxset with nobody but Wolverine, now these two, plus the classic one in the Deadpool wave. THIRTEEN!! Come on, dare to be different perhaps? You saw with the Avengers wave no one will riot if a wave is Wolverine free, I guess they've got to make up for all the series we've gotten without Wolverine recently. Calm down, please. He's not the only character in the Marvel Universe.

I like Wolvie as much as the next guy, but c'mon! :(

for example, I wanted to see hulk actually DO something to the illuminati for sending him into space, like kill at least ONE of them.

They would have just brought the guy back to life after a few months, so it's probably just as well that they didn't.

THIRTEEN!!

Don't forget "Wolverine" from the Dark Avengers set. There are probably more that we aren't thinking about. Didn't the Secret Invasion set come out this year, as well? It had "First Appearance" Wolvie.

Edited by karamazov80

Ok, I supported having Wolverine in this wave to keep sales going strong. But having him as the variant makes me angry. That space should be reserved for a character variation that we don't already have dozens of.

It makes sense to me. It is the hot marvel property you Have to get the kids to buy them.

In fact I applaud Dst for protecting us by not making the variant one we ALL want.

Plus WW 2 Wolverine will rock next to WW 2 cap and sgt. Rock

I for one am pleased good job

Moc847