UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dark Avengers box set

CortherX

:D sweet ironpatriot they said there was gonna be a perfect compliment to this set my thaughts are that its probaly going to be based on a more modern event my choices would be

messiah complex

x force

ww hulk

or ultimatum

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess on the "complementary" set: Either Mighty Avengers ("new Wasp" Hank Pym, Jocasta, Jarvis, Amadeus Cho, etc.) or (wait for it).... WAR OF KINGS!

Vulcan

Black Bolt

Medusa

Crystal

new Havok

Gladiator

Hound Rachel

Why do you refer to her as Hound?

My guess on the "complementary" set: Either Mighty Avengers ("new Wasp" Hank Pym, Jocasta, Jarvis, Amadeus Cho, etc.) or (wait for it).... WAR OF KINGS!

Vulcan

Black Bolt

Medusa

Crystal

new Havok

Gladiator

Hound Rachel

When Rachel first appeared she was being used as a 'Hound' for Ahab to seek out other Mutants in order for him to execute them. She wore a red body suit with metal studs running down the arms & chest. Her hair was a sort of Red Mullet & she had been tattooed on her face to mark her as Ahab's property. The term 'The hound' Rachel is to differentiate her from other costumes she wore (Such as her miniskirted 'Marvel Girl' or the Dark Phoenix costume she wore as 'Phoenix' for a while). However, since the term is being used to discuss the Phoenix associated with War of Kings, i think it may just be a way of distinguishing Rachel from her other, Jean - as both have used the name Phoenix.

Edit: See Picture :)

post-2737-1238466675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nessex

Vulcan

Black Bolt

Medusa

Crystal

new Havok

Gladiator

Hound Rachel

When Rachel first appeared she was being used as a 'Hound' for Ahab to seek out other Mutants in order for him to execute them. She wore a red body suit with metal studs running down the arms & chest. Her hair was a sort of Red Mullet & she had been tattooed on her face to mark her as Ahab's property. The term 'The hound' Rachel is to differentiate her from other costumes she wore (Such as her miniskirted 'Marvel Girl' or the Dark Phoenix custome she wore as 'Phoenix' for a while)

Yeah, well it wasn't an official designation or anything... but in War of Kings #1 I could have SWORN she was wearing those Hound facial tattoos again. (Haven't read the original Ahab storyline OR X-Men Kingbreaker though, so I don't know the official explanation behind the tattoo's return.)

As I think more about it, this set could be really cool if they were "transformable"--two outfits for each character, reflecting the "original" and "Dark Avenger" persona. The 2-in-1 deal follows the trends established with Ant-Man/Giant Man; Multiple Wasp outfits, and Skrull heads from recent box sets. However, unfortunately, we just got a recent Venom and Green Goblin, so this would work much better, IMO, if it were Bullseye or Moonstone as the "alters."

As for Groundhog's point, I think its a good one. Honestly, we have been spoiled rotten with Minimates, and personally, I start experiencing a feeling of entitlement, which is stupid. At the end of the day, I'll buy whatever this set is, but when they can make so many great decisions so frequently, it seems a shame when the occasional redundant or "less interesting than it could be" set/series pops up. Honestly, I am thrilled to get a new brown Wolvie, so that's something.

Seriously I think this is gonna be a good set. Iron Patriot and Marvel Boy....are going to be awesome addtions

the other 2 ok granted ANOTHER spidey and ANOTHER wolverine...but the wolverine will be a good brown costume wit the new designs and spidey...well spidey sells... thats all I can say about that

moc847

for the dark avengers

iron patriot shold be able to take of all of his armor to be suited norman osborn

wolverine should have extra daken parts and new claw hands

spiderman should have extra mac venom parts and tentacles

and i hope marvel boy is in captain marvels costume that way it has to uses

as for afx boxsets XFORCE ALL THE WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

wolverine

x23

wolfsbane with extra non wolf parts

warpath

2nd one

archangel with super awsome multi use wings

domino with tons of guns

bastion

elixer

3rd set

cable

bishop

vanisher

hope

2 pack

stryfe

deadpool

Top of the class....my compliments NorthRaider :D

Officially 'The Mighty/New Avengers' are the most popular mags with the punters these days & when I saw the Dark Avengers for the first time* in the (whichever) 'Dark Reign' Avengers comic they looked fantastic despite their underlying evil menace. If these guys in their ultra-modern & yet retro costumes were good-guys I'd have been surprised to get them from DST this soon...but these are BAD guys (albeit most of them) & we are getting a BAD-guys box-set....unbelievable.

*post-638-1238485626_thumb.jpg

Edited by buttheadsmate

Hopefully Iron Patriot means we'll also get a good Extremis Iron Man somewhere down the line. I know most wouldn't be excited about another Iron Man, but that's an essential armor that hasn't been done justice.

I'm a little surprised Marvel Boy made the cut, but I suppose he needs fewer new parts than Ares.

Hopefully Iron Patriot means we'll also get a good Extremis Iron Man somewhere down the line. I know most wouldn't be excited about another Iron Man, but that's an essential armor that hasn't been done justice.

I'm a little surprised Marvel Boy made the cut, but I suppose he needs fewer new parts than Ares.

Marvel Boy fits that same criteria that Jewel was in for the Secret Invasion box set - obscure character that wouldn't sell any other way.

Ares would take more parts, and is a better known name that could work in a future 2-pack.

Edited by boyd

While I'm certainly happy to see DST keeping their thumb on the pulse of current events in Marvel, it's going to take some more pictures or details to get me overly excited about this set.

Dark Avengers has 8 characters on the roster (9 counting Ms. Hand). So the question is if these were the right choices:

Norman Osborn/Iron Patriot - Team Leader and face of the Avengers, if not the whole Marvel Universe, its a no brainer that he fills a slot. On top of that, his armor is mostly a repaint of the Iron Man movie armor (it seems), so from a cost perspective, it makes more sense to tweak a paint palette than to redesign a whole new character. Sealing the deal, we just got a new Green Goblin figure, so giving us a Norman Osborn head helps fill the Spider-Man love (Chuck sleeps a little easier tonight as a result)

Daken/Wolverine - Wolverine's son, so he helps fill the Wolverine love (Chuck even smiles a little while he sleeps easy tonight). The tattoos, unique hair style, and different claw design help make the figure into its own character. Plus, with the recent trend of updating the original line-up of Minimates, bringing the new mask, shoulder bits, and boots to Gaijin Wolverine seems like a logical next step. Problem is, though, Daken hasn't made much of an impact on the team thus far. DA reads more like Norman Osborn, Moonstone, Bullseye, and Venom, plus some other folks fleshing out the team. A Gaijin Wolverine/Daken 2-pack on shelves at TRU might have made more sense than shoehorning him in here.

Venom/Spider-Man - It matters not who is under the mask, this is basically another retread on the "how many ways can we rerelease the Symbiote Spidey variant without actually rereleasing it?" game that has popped up in recent years. Considering Back in Black Spidey basically IS what Venom looks like on the team, its going to take some real awesome accessories to make this slot a sale. Mac Gargan's face isn't recognizable enough on its own, so I doubt they can just sell the same character with a new head decal. No, they have to give us some steroid-raging, Skrull-eating Venom parts to substitute to make this character worth his place on the line-up.

Marvel Boy/Captain Marvel - This is a character in the same vein as Jewel, Valkyrie, and Thunderbird, in that he likely can't carry a set on his own. His inclusion here makes a bit of sense in that regard, but depending on the design choice, he'll also likely fill the "we used the budget on everyone else, so stick some hair on a blank Minimate and call it a day" slot that tends to pop up now and again. Still, with the least face time in the whole team, and the sheer odds of him fading back into obscurity as soon as Dark Reign is over, I say he has a welcome spot in the set.

As for who got passed over:

Bullseye/Hawkeye - While certainly one of Norman's more important agents, there just isn't enough of a difference between this Hawkeye and the one we recently received to justify tossing him into the box set. A little work cutting the peg off of Hawkeye's mask and slipping it onto a spare Bullseye head, toss in a few guns from one of the Punisher's Minimate stints, and you have DA Hawkeye.

Moonstone/Ms. Marvel - A classic costume variant, not to mention Ultra Girl's recent look. This costume ALSO showed up in Secret Invasion being worn by a Skrull. Why it wasn't done for this set is beyond me. There better damn well be a classic Ms. Marvel/Captain Mar-Vel set in the pipelines, otherwise we've been shafted twice in favor of a Wolverine/Spider-Man fix.

Sentry - Take your wave 12/13 (shipped out of order, so who knows which is the correct numbering) Sentry, pop either the variant Sentry hair piece or Ultimate Sabretooth's hair piece on his head. Ta-da, you have Dark Avengers Sentry. Add that most people don't like the character, and its no big loss that Bob didn't make it into the box set.

Ares - Ok, here's the tough sale. Ares has a history with Avengers in general, Mighty and Dark Avengers specifically and recently. Add that he has a nice suit of armor, some kick ass weapons, and just an overall bad ass look, and it makes no sense that he isn't on the short list of characters to get pushed onto shelves. Hopefully, if he isn't in wave 30 or 31, he's slated for a release with Hercules as a TRU set.

Overall, they should have stuck with Iron Patriot and Marvel Boy, tossed Daken on a shelf for a future release with his pop, tossed Black Spider-Man IV into a wood chipper, and rounded out the set with Ms. Marvel and Ares. My opinion may change once I see some images of these figures, or when DST lays down more of their hand on what they have planned beyond the current announcement of Marvel figures and exclusives, or when AFX reveal their own box set, but in the mean time, I'm only slightly impressed with this set.

I don't disagree with the "we should be thankful for what we're getting" sentiment BUT I don't think that means that we shouldn't voice our displeasure. Particularly when it comes to an exclusive, which by it's nature is going to have a smaller production run and be geared towards the collector rather than the casual buyer. In my mind, the upcoming Champions box set is the perfect exclusive, and seems very much in touch with collector's desires. The Dark Avengers set is a step backwards.

Furthermore, I think DST/AA is running a real risk of overexposing the core Marvel characters of Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Hulk, and Captain America. By relying on these same few characters over and over in a short period of time, DST risks burning their core base (us!) out on these characters. Hey, I accept that there will always be more Spider-Man Minimates on the way. He's Spider-Man. But constantly shoehorning these few characters into each new wave or set doesn't give us a chance to miss them.

Ever since the first wave of marvel minimates I haven't come across one wave or box set of mates that I didnt give a damn about. Theres always been something that saves it. I don't believe this set is going to end up in my collection unless it has some bad ass extra parts/accessories. The thunderbolts are doing well right now, this could have been a great villain builder.

And who doesnt like the Sentry?

Problem is, though, Daken hasn't made much of an impact on the team thus far.

Well, the team has only existed for 3 issues, most of which have been spent on one big fight...

Osborn and Sentry (and Doom, really) may be hogging the spotlight so far, but there'll be several more issues out before SDCC for the rest of the team members to make an impact...

Overall, they should have stuck with Iron Patriot and Marvel Boy, tossed Daken on a shelf for a future release with his pop, tossed Black Spider-Man IV into a wood chipper, and rounded out the set with Ms. Marvel and Ares. My opinion may change once I see some images of these figures, or when DST lays down more of their hand on what they have planned beyond the current announcement of Marvel figures and exclusives, or when AFX reveal their own box set, but in the mean time, I'm only slightly impressed with this set.

Well - i'm hoping that Daken comes with a BIG honking Mohawk and removable mask to make him more recognisable as Daken.

And I'm SERIOUSLY hoping that Venom/Spiderman comes with an Alternate Venom Mask, Powerhouse Torso Piece & Black Scorpion tail so he can become the Mac Gargan Venom.

Those inclusions would make this set a 'Must Buy' for me.

Edited by Nessex

My guess on the "complementary" set:

Iron Patriot - Green Goblin with removable mask or Suited Norman Osborn

Venom - Scorpion

Marvel Boy - Captian Marvel

Daken Wolverine - Original Daken

I think thats a pretty good set!

I will def. buy this set, the only sets that I haven't been to fond of are the movie mates. Minus genral Ross, Emil Blonsky, all of Iron Man( hey what can I say great series).

I could definitely go for an "original
" Minimate.

Man.

Don Dokken.

Jeff Pilson

George Lynch.....

I'd only buy that boxset if they were in the outfits that they wore in "Breaking the Chains"

Complete with cheesy breaking chains, and George Lynch's skunk mullet.

I'll probably pick it up just for Marvel Boy. Not too excited even about Iron Patriot. These identities and this comic just aren't well enough established in my book to get overjoyed about.