1/6 Scale Action Figures

karamazov80

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot Toys also just announced another Iron Man. . .sort of:

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/index.php?target...;product_id=496

Looks pretty great, particularly the headsculpt, but I'm not a big enough fan of the film to be interested.

Wow, that choice caught me completely off guard. I think its a great idea actually, and very well executed, but at the price point I will probably have to hope this one goes on clearance at some point.

Got some nifty Ash from Army of Darkness figures over the last few days. I love the headsculpt on the S-Mart version, but the outfit and gear from the regular version, so I kitbashed my most "ideal" Ash.

Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash

DSCN2090.jpg

DSCN2091.jpg

DSCN2093-1.jpg

Shop smart!

DSCN2092-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Joker looks great, Luke. I am satisfied with my V1 Joker body and the extra Robber head, or I would have jumped on that figure for sure.

In new news, Hot Toys T-800 from Terminator 2 has pics. Looks amazing, of course:

Kind of spooky how realistic it looks:

9a.jpg

6a.jpg

More pics and details:

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/index.php?target...;product_id=497

Very possible. Personally, I'm more interested in a potential T1 T-800 update, and hopefully "Tech Noir" version as well as 1984 Kyle Reese.

If they don't re-release the Endoskeleton, the existing ones are gonna get crazy expensive.

Also, Hot Toys announced a Michael Jackson "Bad" figure was coming, and there are rumors of a Christopher Reeve Superman, as well as comic versions of Spider-Man, Carnage, Venom, and Invisible Woman (last one I don't get). When Hot Toys starts doing comic figures, my checking account will be in real trouble.

Also, this is rumored to be coming, which might be of interest to Luke, "Iron Man Environment whole laboratory, can be placed complete Iron Man (Mark II - VI + War Machine"

Edited by karamazov80

I think they will do another T-800 endo. HT has really stepped up their quality on their figures and a newer version of the T-800 endo would be great. I just traded with a guy for a T-600 weathered with rubber skin masks. I wasn't going to get into Terminator stuff, but the endos are just too cool.

I'd also like to see them revisit the Alien Warrior from Aliens.

Also, this is rumored to be coming, which might be of interest to Luke, "Iron Man Environment whole laboratory, can be placed complete Iron Man (Mark II - VI + War Machine)"

Wow... time to start eating nothing but rice and beans in 2010 to save money!

HT also stated that they are reconsidering the Iron Monger from IM1 Movie. Their fear is that it may be too cost prohibitive but with steady sales of their IM line, they are considering it.

man, these figures look fantastic! I am sooo glad my budget won't allow any lol The likeness and detail is amazing, I can see why they are as popular as they are, you guys have some nice collections going there and thanks for sharing pics with those of us who can only dream lol

Jeff of the Miniacs

Some exciting Hot Toys news, as reported by the Milk magazine that leaks so many pictures (I actually thought it was a guy):

"Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN / TRON 1982 and some other movie classic are coming in 2010"

Terminator stuff:

"1) Howard, JC and Yulli love Arnie and T2 so much, they are going full force on This line.

2) HT found a 3D Arnie body scan from T2 movie and use that as refrence for the body sculpt but slim down a bit in order to fit the cloth (rubber torso and PVC arms)

3) The head sculpt is pretty much final

4) Sarah Connor, T1000, different version of T800 and Endoskeleton are coming soon

5) An ALL NEW T1 LINE also coming soon

6) Hottoys has no interest doing the T3 line "

Source:

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/s...p;postcount=555

Looks like my T-800 custom, my Endo, and my Superman Returns figures are all going to eBay soon :)

Edited by karamazov80

4) Sarah Connor, T1000, different version of T800 and Endoskeleton are coming soon

I knew it! Time to cook up some popcorn and watch the scramble to sell the V1 T-800 Endos at going rates...

Well, i just might be gettingmy first 1/6th scale vey soon!! My closer, and quite frankly better and friendlier, LCS just got in that DCD Black Canary, for $39.99, and with an additional 20% off. For being originally $80-90, $32.00 is quite a steal. Wanted her for a LONG time, so i finally have something i will truly love to spendthe last of the Christmas money on!! :)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

In fairness, if you aren't too familiar with 1/6 scale figures, the DC Direct ones might suit your purposes. My first figures of this scale were the DC Direct Classic Superman and Batman I think, and I really liked them at first. I still really like the Batman, though Supes's headsculpt and proportions bother me a bit now.

But you really can't compare them to Hot Toys quality figures. In fact, you can't even compare them to Sideshow, which is sub-Hot Toys quality. Hot Toys, arguably, produces the finest figures made in this scale. The DC Direct figures just feel cheap in comparison (lighter plastic, lower quality clothing, crappier head sculpts and paint jobs, less detailed accessories). So if you want high quality figures that are going to cost a bit, go with Hot Toys. When you see one in person for the first time (if you haven't already), you are going to be impressed, to say the least. However, they have only released Silk Spectre and announced Comedian. Rorschach hasn't even been announced, nor has anyone else. As such, that might be it for the line. DC Direct has actually produced Rorschach, the Comedian, and Dr. Manhattan I believe, but they are probably done with those 3 (so, no Silk Spectre in all likelihood).

Another factor is--DC Direct figures will be significantly cheaper. MSRP is something around $70 (U.S.), but their prices usually drop hard. You can probably find those Watchmen for less than $50, possibly even in the $30 range. As I said above, there is a reason for this, but it is a factor. The Hot Toys Spectre can be found for around $130 on the cheaper side, and over $150 on the more expensive front. Comedian--given the gear and rubber arms--will probably run $150+.

Note that I haven't seen any of these specific figures in person, but am deriving all of this from my experience with other figures from these companies.

--edit: also, note that the DC Direct figures are around 13 inches tall, whereas Hot Toys are the more traditional 12 inches. Not a major difference, but you will notice it if they are posed next to one another--

Edited by karamazov80

Ooooh, thanks for the 1/6 primer karamazov :)

I'll probably wait until a little later to consider buying something in this scale, but if I do I'd rather invest in one really excellent figure than experiment with lots of littler ones (as if I didn't have enough to spend cash on).

Don't think that one will be enough.

Yeah, I tried to tell myself this, a few months ago. I was only going to get one of the HT Iron Man figures, and that's it. Now I have six HT figures, with three more pre-ordered, all across three different lines. :P

Same for me Luke. I figured just one Predator couldn't hurt... Now I have a P1 Predator (had 2), the Lost Predator, the Terminator T-600 weather/rubber skin, 2 Jokers, and a Batman with my name on it. I also plan to order the 300 Leonidas and am sure I will buy the new T-800 Endo if they are up to the usually high HT caliber.

I so wanted that "Big Chap" Alien, but the head is just too wrong for me. It just doesn't work for me and I am really not that picky with "true to screen canon likenesses".

Sideshow has hinted that they may revisit their Universal Monsters line. If they do, my wallet will probably run screaming.

Yeah, holding out for Hot Toys would be my suggestion, but be forewarned--your pocketbook will hate you for it ;)

Don't think that one will be enough.

I'll give my experience with 1/6th scale figures to you so you know how I felt about it.

I started out buying and bashing military figures in this scale. I started with Hasbro GI Joe figures, as a lot of people did.

I moved on from there when a company called The Ultimate Soldier came out because they had better quality and were doing things that Hasbro didn't, like removable magazines in the weapons. From there I moved on to 2 companies that moved that hobby above and beyond anything anyone else was doing. Those companies were Dragon Models, and Blue Box Toys. After quite a few years with those I noticed that Hot Toys was becoming popular. And I HATED them. While they were doing new things I was mad that they were out of scale from everything else, I mean their guns were friggin HUGE!!!. After a few years of wanting nothing to do with Hot Toys due to my issues with their quality and price they started making huge leaps in terms of figures, gear, quality. I got my first HT figure for christmas a few years ago, but I still didn't want to spend over 100 bucks on a figure. Oh man. Now I have purchased about 6 or 7 Hot Toys figures. I mostly would pick up loose pieces and bash something myself as I started to get out of the mainstream military figure, and I wanted to put together something that I thought was cool, and hopefully would be cheaper than a box set. So I have tons of loose gear, and have made about 20 total bashes using alot of HT parts. I recently sold most of my 1/6th stuff as I was getting bored with 1/6th stuff.

But I still have my HT Iron Man MK III, Bank Robber Joker, my first HT Figure the GIGN Teal Leader (who has a GREAT Jean Reno headsculpt), 5 figures that I bashed, and my new Resident Evil 5 Albert Wesker figure that I just got this week. And I plan on getting the Blade figure when it comes out. So starting with 1 figure is dangerous. They are addicting. I am to 1/6th scale figures what Mirymate is to comic knowledge, and what BHM is to minimate collecting. Not to toot my own nerd horn, but TOOT-TOOT. There isn't much about 1/6th scale figures that I don't know.

I'll give my experience with 1/6th scale figures to you so you know how I felt about it.

I started out buying and bashing military figures in this scale. I started with Hasbro GI Joe figures, as a lot of people did.

I moved on from there when a company called The Ultimate Soldier came out because they had better quality and were doing things that Hasbro didn't, like removable magazines in the weapons. From there I moved on to 2 companies that moved that hobby above and beyond anything anyone else was doing. Those companies were Dragon Models, and Blue Box Toys. After quite a few years with those I noticed that Hot Toys was becoming popular. And I HATED them. While they were doing new things I was mad that they were out of scale from everything else, I mean their guns were friggin HUGE!!!. After a few years of wanting nothing to do with Hot Toys due to my issues with their quality and price they started making huge leaps in terms of figures, gear, quality. I got my first HT figure for christmas a few years ago, but I still didn't want to spend over 100 bucks on a figure. Oh man. Now I have purchased about 6 or 7 Hot Toys figures. I mostly would pick up loose pieces and bash something myself as I started to get out of the mainstream military figure, and I wanted to put together something that I thought was cool, and hopefully would be cheaper than a box set. So I have tons of loose gear, and have made about 20 total bashes using alot of HT parts. I recently sold most of my 1/6th stuff as I was getting bored with 1/6th stuff.

But I still have my HT Iron Man MK III, Bank Robber Joker, my first HT Figure the GIGN Teal Leader (who has a GREAT Jean Reno headsculpt), 5 figures that I bashed, and my new Resident Evil 5 Albert Wesker figure that I just got this week. And I plan on getting the Blade figure when it comes out. So starting with 1 figure is dangerous. They are addicting. I am to 1/6th scale figures what Mirymate is to comic knowledge, and what BHM is to minimate collecting. Not to toot my own nerd horn, but TOOT-TOOT. There isn't much about 1/6th scale figures that I don't know.

I am ignoring the idea that 1/6 scale figures exist for exactly these reasons. Pictures please so I can live vicariously through your collection ;)

T.

I know exactly where you are coming from Doc. I grew up playing with 1/6th GI Joes, mostly Adventure Team. I found an old one that was handed down to me from a cousin and picked up some original items to fix him up. I really liked the Dragon stuff so I got a few Dragon figures, mostly Germans and mostly Afrika Corps. I always liked BBI too, but never was overwhelmed by their figures. I didn't like Ultimate Soldier stuff because their figures were kinda clunky like Hasbro figures. They made nice accessories though. At the time, HT was mostly science fiction and other lines outside military that I just didn't have an interest in. Plus, they were always much more expensive.

I still have my vintage GI Joes and a couple of Dragon figures, but my interests have moved from military to movies. Hot Toys is doing figures from a lot of the movies I like, so they have gotten my money lately.

I don't buy much 1/6th (mostly because of price), but I do like the uncanny detail that HT puts into their stuff. I also like the Sideshow Star Wars line, but am only into the Clone Troopers and the Imperials like Vader and Stormtroopers. The SSC Vader is very very nice and MUCH better than the Medicom Vaders.