UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1/6 Scale Action Figures

karamazov80

Hot Toys are heads and shoulders above SSC in terms of their 1/6 toys, for sure, but similar to Minimates, they just don't have the licenses (GI Joe, Star Wars, Army of Darkness, Highlander, Universal Monsters) that SSC has and has had over the years, so you have to go with the best thing there is for the licenses that you like to collect. Hot Toys can crank out Terminator Salvation and Avatar toys til the cows come home, and I'm not going to give them a second look, as despite their quality, I have no interest in those licenses.

In terms of body (look, tightness, and overall quality), headsculpt, painting, and clothing, Hot Toys is the best thing going that I've seen, but Sideshow has made some serious improvements over the years. Their older Star Wars figures seem quite antiquated compared to their newer ones.

But I can understand and respect your choice, TM2. Sometimes I forget myself that these are extremely expensive toys, and I think at this price point particularly (base GI Joe costs are over $100 now), people have the right to expect a lot. I should note that SSC does have the best customer service I've ever seen for collectibles, though. If you order directly from them, you are going to get satisfied with the quality of what you buy. With Hot Toys, you get a canned response to your e-mail questions, and that's it.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pics of him with the Loading Toys sweater:

He has bare hands similar to his portrayal in the MASS Device, and has the "explosives" bag like the Commando toy did.

Thanks for the pictures Dr.K, I really like SE much better with a thicker sweater on. I think I may reconsider getting him down the road, if a simple shirt switch is all it takes vs. the whole body switch.

I am really looking forward to getting my 1st one (Duke). Has there been any word on Gung HO?

Andy, there are some threads at the Sideshow Freaks forum that have lots of pics, if you are interested.

I am really looking forward to getting my 1st one (Duke). Has there been any word on Gung HO?

Not that I have heard of...

I'm looking to get the MKII and MKIII iron man/men

does anyone have any pictures that might pursuede me to finally bite the bullet and get them

No love for the Mark I? He is actually my favorite 1/6 scale figure at the moment. There are some great pics of him in the MWC Toys review here.

I couldn't afford the Mark II (pics here) and I passed on the Mark III (pics here) after I saw the upcoming Battle Damaged version, which looks more realistic in my opinion (pics here).

I wonder what the first Hot Toys IM2 figure will be? I am hoping for War Machine personally. :)

We'll probably get releases popping up around the same time (probably months after the film is released), but if I had to guess which is most likely to come first, it seems like the Mark IV would be the best bet. You can guess that they are going to do the Mark IV and VI at least, and possibly the Mark V. As such, they would probably want to spread those releases out to keep people from getting over-whelmed with the Iron Men.

I'm going to strongly consider picking up one of the new Iron Men (hopefully with some a nice switch-out Stark head) and War Machine. They would like great as "book-ends" to one of my display shelves. Probably going to pass on the "civvies" (Widow and Fury--who both probably are not civilians technically) and Whiplash, though. I don't suppose they'll do a Sam Rockwell, but of all the non-armored characters, I would like to get a Hot Toys version of him.

Edited by karamazov80

The only reason I am glad that the second Iron Man MKIII and now IM2 figures are coming out is because I think the oringinal HT MKIII will get very cheap when folks go dumping them for the newer versions. Crossing my fingers anyway.

I am more interested to see what (if anything) they do from the new Predators film. I have NO interest in the proposed Avatar figures.

I've never been a collector of toys that are supposed to be "sexy." Human females are sexy to me. Not toys of them. So no, that's a pass for me. I would buy some of the female GI Joes, and maybe a Storm if made well enough, though, because I'm a fan of the characters.

I wonder what the first Hot Toys IM2 figure will be? I am hoping for War Machine personally. :)

Can I backtrack a bit from my previous post? :blush:

img7799.jpg

Edited by karamazov80

I've never been a collector of toys that are supposed to be "sexy." Human females are sexy to me. Not toys of them. So no, that's a pass for me. I would buy some of the female GI Joes, and maybe a Storm if made well enough, though, because I'm a fan of the characters.

The reasons that you stated above are exactly why I think that "Sexiest Minimate" category is both silly and a little weird.

OK so my overtime for last month has been blown big style

I am weak and spongy

MK II Iron Man

MK III battle damaged Iron Man

But with all the other Iron man bits i've just bought, its gonna be an expensive month

Bug thanks to Sam and Luke for pics and links, I'll post up a few pics of the collection when they arrive

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Hot Toys Blade on Thursday, and opened him tonight. WOW! Anyone on the fence about buying him, I say go for it! DX Joker is still my favorite, but Blade is definitely no slouch. Some day, if I can find the time, I'll post some pics.

That Blade sounds so awesome. If I just liked the films a bit more, I would get him for sure due to all the gear and general bad-ass-ness.

In other news, Medicom just announced a companion piece to their Kaneda:

20100316d196b02295ceb4f.jpg

KANEDAAAAA! TESTUOOOOOO!

When I was in middle school, I had an Akira t-shirt with Tetsuo on it, and Akira spelled out in kanji on the back. I wore the heck out of it, even though no one else at my school knew (or cared) what the heck it was. I would alternate that with my Misfits and Bad Religion t-shirts :P

Edited by karamazov80

Oh, you could do one, he would just be 8 inches or so instead of 12 (making Medicom the appropriate company to produce him). He would also tend to fall over easily in the presence of bigger toys. *won't repost video of him getting knocked out by guy he starts talking $h!t with*

Oh, you could do one, he would just be 8 inches or so instead of 12 (making Medicom the appropriate company to produce him). He would also tend to fall over easily in the presence of bigger toys. *won't repost video of him getting knocked out by guy he starts talking $h!t with*

That was classic!