UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1/6 Scale Action Figures

karamazov80

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even have my first 1:6 figures in my hand yet & I am already hooked. I find myself scanning eBay for close to an hour at a time for bargains on them. Everytime I look, I see more and more that I didn't know existed and that I would LOVE to have. This is gonna get ugly!

I had a couple of questions for the veterans:

1. A lot of the Sideshow/Hot Toys sellers are in Hong Kong. Ever buy from them?

2. There are a lot of parts auctions. Is it worth the time to try and assemble your own? (I almost won the zombie parts for Thriller MJ & would've just needed a body)

I have bought several things from Hong Kong-based sellers, and pretty much everything has reached its destination. However, you will want to use your judgment based on feedback. And if you order something pricey, you will want to make sure that you get some tracking information, at least (it seems like Hong Kong-based sellers can add tracking information cheaply).

Regarding parting figures out, I usually don't bother. Often, it is just easier to buy full figures, the way I figure it. Maybe you'll save a small bit parting figures out, but if you get stuck missing an important part, then that would suck. The problem with the MJ is that the body for the zombie is probably the most expensive part. Any Hot Toys body is going to be pricey.

I have rarely had a problem buying from HK sellers. But I don't like to wai a week or so for my stuff, and the shipping can be ridiculous.

As for the parting out question: I absolutely LOVE buying loose pieces, mainly because I like to bash my own figures.

But it's hard for me to spend a lot of money on a figure that I might only want for a few parts.

I have had a few. They are hit-and-miss, in my experience. I previously had Bespin Han and Luke, and both had questionable head sculpts/paint jobs. I also had Boushhe Leia, which was a pretty nice figure actually, just not a look that I cared to keep. The Storm Trooper I had had incredibly loose joints, but looked fantastic. In some ways, I wish I wouldn't have sold him. I currently have 3--Vader, New Hope Han, and New Hope Luke. Han and Luke have great outfits, but their bodies are the old Sideshow ones (which suck). I like Luke's head sculpt, but Han's could be better. The paint job on the Han head isn't that great, either. But, what are you gonna do? These ain't Hot Toys. Vader's great. He's huge compared to most 1/6 scale figures, and looks amazing in person.

I'd love to get my hands on that Vader!

Aayla Secura and Plo Koon (discovered him back in the day in the terrible Jedi Power Battles game) look pretty interesting too.

The Stormtrooper is pretty nice looking too. Are loose joints on the Sideshow toys known issues on certain lines or just random across the board?

Doc or Shanester probably know more than I do on this, but in my experience, Sideshow figures are not typically very loose. Their shoulders often are, which is a pain when you are trying to pose a guy holding a gun for instance, but nothing major. The Storm Trooper was a new body (for armored figures), and I suspect that they were still trying to work the kinks out with him. The new bodies they use are called "Prometheus," and also had some issues initially (particularly with Indiana Jones). I'm not thrilled with the joints on my Sideshow Joes (which use the "Pro"), but many seem very content with the joints on their figures.

The best bodies I've found are Hot Toys True Types. I've had one leg break, but apart from that, no major QC issues that I can think of, and very tight, pose-able bodies that look good with clothes on them.

Edited by karamazov80

I think you can with newer Sideshow heads that come on the Prometheus, but the older Sidehow heads all had sculpted necks (many new ones have a neck with ball joint on top for additional head movement) and were difficult to take off without damaging the body. You would probably need a blow dryer and possibly some boiling water to do so. Even if you did take them off, I suspect that the neck peg wouldn't fit the hole very well. But, they can be modified.

I actually got mine MIB for almost half what that other one sold for, a couple months ago. I wasn't planning on buying him, but knew it was a good deal so I had to pounce. He was one of the first 1/6 scale figures I ever wanted. Alongside Naked Snake (who I'm probably gonna sell soon).

Of course, I ripped that bad boy open immediately. In other news. . .

post-1827-1274238631_thumb.jpg

BEAUTIFUL figure. Almost zero articulation and oily abs, but still. . .gorgeous. Plus, GOOGLY EYES!

By the way, did I mention that you should stay the hell away from these figures, Devil? Because you should.

Edited by karamazov80

This is the first 12" figure I ever wanted. Way back when I was still working at TRU I saved up to buy her for $70 when HLJ restocked. My money got refunded because she sold out. I've been slowly hunting her ever since. This same fracker has had the same figure on ebay for years, raising the price by $10 every few months or so. It drives the price up because people try to list theirs for the same price. It doesn't do me any good as I'm more or less jobless at the moment, but I've always wanted her. Always.

I've been a student for most of my adult life (well, for just about all of my adult life), so I never had a full-time job until last year. I must say, it is nice having a bit of disposable income to spend on the crap you want. Before, I would have to budget carefully just to get my Minimate fix. Now, I can get these figures that alluded me for so long.

TM2, I suggest that when you get your next full time gig, you splurge with your first paycheck and get her. I bought the PF Captain America with my first paycheck. :)

Edited by karamazov80

Ah, but splurging the first paycheck isn't the issue. It's saving the rest of hem that I can never get right.

I wouldn't get it from him anyways. I asked him once why he kept going up i price and his answer was "Because I can." While I really want her, her's not worth $220.

If he's been listing the same figure over and over again, I'm not sure what he is accomplishing by raising the price and failing to sell. But he's right. People can do as they please on eBay. I can list my Riot Spidey for $2,000 and raise it another $500 every week, but I doubt that's gonna do me much good.

Sideshow figures can sometimes have loose joints, but it almost always fixable. I won't say the fixes are easy because sometimes you have to take off armor or clothing to get at the body, but it can be done. I have Vader and all of the armored troopers that Sideshow has done so far (except the ST Commander). Only one has been very loose and it was/is the right arm of my AOTC trooper. He would not single-handedly hold a pistol up without support, so I have him holding a long blaster with both hands. No prob.

IMO, the SSC Vader is a work of art. I would say do whatever you have to to get him, as prices will climb, EXCEPT, they will probably release ESB & ROTJ versions (maybe even ROTS), so there will be lots of Vaders on the market. The SSC EX Vader is already becoming a tough find.

The new HT T-800 looks fantastic. I did not buy one because I would rather have an Endo, which they keep hinting at revisiting. I will have a T-800 endo for sure, if they re-do it.

Still haven't gotten Leonidas yet, but when I find a deal, I will jump on it. I really wish the Amok Time DOTD Bub would come out. I really want this to be a good figure, but am not too sure about Amok Time stuff yet.

K80, I have a DX02 Bats on order from the DCD wave. I hope the abs issue is resolved by then and news so far seems to be positive.

Oh and DO NOT buy parts to build a figure if you can help it. Parting a figure together will almost always cost more and some parts are hard to find. Sellers part figures out because they can usually make more this way than a direct sale. I have seen empty boxes go for insane prices. This really only works if you are kit bashing.

I actually got mine MIB for almost half what that other one sold for, a couple months ago. I wasn't planning on buying him, but knew it was a good deal so I had to pounce. He was one of the first 1/6 scale figures I ever wanted. Alongside Naked Snake (who I'm probably gonna sell soon).

By the way, did I mention that you should stay the hell away from these figures, Devil? Because you should.

If you ever fall out of love with Hicks, I'll be his rebound owner! :lol:

You did warn me a couple pages back. I didn't listen and now I'm hooked. I've found a couple deals and have yet to get any in hand yet. It's only going to get worse once I receive Shaun & Ed!

Still haven't gotten Leonidas yet, but when I find a deal, I will jump on it. I really wish the Amok Time DOTD Bub would come out. I really want this to be a good figure, but am not too sure about Amok Time stuff yet.

K80, I have a DX02 Bats on order from the DCD wave. I hope the abs issue is resolved by then and news so far seems to be positive.

Please let us know if you have that problem when Bats arrives, Shane. Though the oil issue doesn't bother me based on looks, the potential for long-term damage to the rubber does bother me.

As for Bub, I recently picked this up, anticipating that I would switch it out with the Amok Time version's head when/if released. Honestly, mine doesn't look as good in person as they do in the pics, but it's still a significant improvement over what Amok Time has planned, in my opinion.

I also have a DX Batman coming, from our very own Luke!

From what I've read elsewhere, Hot Toys changed the material on the abs to a harder plastic. I can't wait to get this bad boy in hand.

As for Vader, I'm waiting for an ESB or ROTJ version. No particular reason.

@ K80 - I will let you know as soon as I can. The people getting DK parts from the "DCD wave" have been saying good things about the new abdominal materials. I think HT finally go it right.

The photos of the Amok Bub head are not real clear to me. It definitely does not look like HT quality sculpting, but he is also about 1/3rd the price of an HT piece. I really like that set you got off the bay. I could do without the MJ and GF, but Tarman and Bub are personal favorites. I hope someone (affordable) also does Fulci's Zombie. I know there are a few limited runs and customs out there, but it would be nice to have an officially licensed version.

I actually got that Bub by itself for $15 shipped. If you keep an eye out, someone else may part that set out. As for Fulci's zombie. . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-6-Zombie-Head-sculpt...=item5192501ffa

Again, just a head, but that's really the main part you need, right?

A licensed version would be nice, but if so, it would probably be Amok Toys again.

Edited by karamazov80

As for Vader, I'm waiting for an ESB or ROTJ version. No particular reason.

Did Vader change drastically throughout the original trilogy? Have they announced an ESB, ROTJ or Ep III version officially?

Honestly, I cannot point out where Sideshow said they would definitely do the other versions of Vader, but its really a "given" that they will at some point. The Version they have already released is identified (even by Sideshow) as the ANH version, hence the one black and one silver "tusks" on his mask.

The changes in Vader's outfit across the four movies are very subtle, but definite changes. The differences can mainly be found in dome shape, chest box layout, belt box controls, armor layout/cape attachment. As I said, they are very subtle, but people who like a certain version are very particular about the differences.

The Stormtroopers have subtle differences across the three OT movies, too, but I have a very hard time spotting them myself. The Stormtrooper that SSC released, is also identified as ANH version. Will they do an ESB or ROTJ versions of the Stormtrooper? Tough call, but I am good with the ANH version.