UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im inclined to agree. I was on a comic movie website that put up an article about toys and merch for age of ultron, and someone in the the comments said "Why are they making minimates of this, they are the worst toys ever." I literally couldn't believe it.

But if that could happen i could believe some dude in his cave is upset about no matching marvel mezitz...

Im inclined to agree. I was on a comic movie website that put up an article about toys and merch for age of ultron, and someone in the the comments said "Why are they making minimates of this, they are the worst toys ever." I literally couldn't believe it.

But if that could happen i could believe some dude in his cave is upset about no matching marvel mezitz...

There's a guy in ComicBookMovie who goes by "Dr. Doom" and he drops by every Minimate article to say how they are the ugliest toys ever, etc, etc. Sure, we can't all like the same things, but when there are figures with 5 POA still being sold, well.....

Most people who dislike Minimates want collectibles with hyper-articulation and lifelike features but will never touch them or take them out of the box.

They probably also think the idea of Deadpool teaming up with SpongeBob to fight Aquaman is, quote, "pretty lame."

I don't. I want to play out the most ridiculous scenarios possible. If Minimates are wrong, I don't want to be right.

DST knows there's demand. DC knows there's demand. Now we need a key retailer to help push the issue.

If only we had a toy buyer around who liked DC Comics...

Its a licensing thing, not a lack of interest thing.

This is the first time ive ever heard you say this, ususally you claim some lack of knowledge as to why DC doesnt want minimates, and then the stock "Ask DC" answer.

can you elaborate on who/what is holding up DC mates?

Edited by Mattallica

Mezco.

You know, I think the tides are starting to turn. We now know that this is a licensing thing, so if that gets out of the way, then we're all set, since both parties are interested. If Mezco is truly the c*ckblocker, I'm guessing that's because of the Mez-Itz, since these are the only mini"figures" they're putting out. And honestly, they have tanked. They haven't put out anything new in a year or so, and the ones that are out are either on clearance or were never restocked.

Now, I'm not a licensing expert or whatnot, but our chances are growing bigger and bigger as time goes on. Who knows? Maybe in a year or two (or three) we'll be eagerl anticipating the 1st wave of DC mates. I myself remain cautiously optimistic...

Correct. Lego is offering contruction sets, not just minifigures. Mezco apparently has a license for figures within a certain size and within a particular market.

Since WB/DC seems willing to work with DST again on other categories using the DC license, hopefully once the Mezco agreement expires, we'll get another shot – a proper shot – at DC Minimates.

DST knows there's demand. DC knows there's demand. Now we need a key retailer to help push the issue.

If only we had a toy buyer around who liked DC Comics...

Its a licensing thing, not a lack of interest thing.

This is the first time ive ever heard you say this, ususally you claim some lack of knowledge as to why DC doesnt want minimates, and then the stock "Ask DC" answer.

can you elaborate on who/what is holding up DC mates?

Well, someone here finally asked DC, and DC told them exactly what the issue was.

In case no one saw the other thread I put this in.

I can't quote Zola's attachment, but go back and read it.

There are a lot of DC licensors. Some make mini-figures, some make block figures, some make vinyls, some make action figures of various sizes. Two are the biggest toy companies in the world. Most are not going anywhere any time soon. We ask regularly, and we take the slots we can.

Whether you like Gotham or not, Gotham Minimates is a positive step.

Edited by DSTZach

If you want an even brighter side to look on, a regular DC line would have started off with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. We never would have made Young Bruce Wayne, Edward Nygma, Harvey Bullock, Mr. Zsasz... pretty sure all of those characters are happening. Make your young Bruce into a Damian Wayne if you want! Hope to show the designs at our panel, and maybe we'll have the set on display.

• 1 month later...

DSTChuck: James, we are done with the Age of Ultron figures, so we’re on to Captain America: Civil War, and we’ll have to see what we can make happen for that movie. I think comic-based figures at the same time the movies are out might be tricky. In the past that was an easy go-to, but as the new contracts are written, it’s getting more and more complicated.

Hmmmm - looks like the ability to promote comic-related stuff when a movie is being promoted may become even harder sad.png

• 2 weeks later...

New one's up: http://www.artasylum.com/2015/06/ask-dst-284-minimates-milestones/

So apparently 60 did good but wasn't a huge success.... Also, Mass Effect has been reduced to a 4-pack. Yeah, I'm thinking the line is doomed. And neither Spawn nor Hellboy are in the cards. And movies are a necessary evil. And there are no immediate plans for more Secret Wars mates. Let me tell you, these Q&As are getting more depressing every time...

Edited by Kostisfire

Jesse S.: The X-Files and Twin Peaks are coming back – I, for one, would welcome multiple Minimates sets!

DSTChuck: I suppose anything is possible.

Either "I suppose anythign is possible" is the new "Never say never" or X-Files Minimates were just confirmed. Given DST's relationship with Fox, I'm leaning optimistically toward the latter.

Mass Effect is getting a 4-pack despite what appears to be lousy sell-through at GameStop. I'm thinking that doesn't bode well for blind bags.