UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told it was based on our total orders from Previews, and not just Diamond Select Toys merchandise.

Do you know how close you are to the total, or do they not tell you where you need to hit?

I was not given a number, but this was all before we qualified for custom cases directly from Diamond. I plan on following up with them later this year after a few of these large custom case orders raise our average monthly orders from Diamond. Previously, our Diamond numbers were lower because we were getting our custom cases from a different supplier. I feel like I really need to speak with DST in person about an exclusive, as communication over email has not been ideal. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend SDCC, but I will be at C2E2 next year. Fingers crossed. :)

I don't really see why they would have any say in the matter. I guess they are distributing it. Dunno. They do tend to end up with the excess of exclusives, so maybe they figure if you aren't selling enough of their product, they'd be more likely to be stuck with a few thousand sets that need to be moved.

But yeah, if you have the money to buy the product outright, I don't see what the issue is. They aren't stuck with anything, so why should they care if you end up using the box sets as building material for an addition on your house.

I feel like I really need to speak with DST in person about an exclusive, as communication over email has not been ideal. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend SDCC, but I will be at C2E2 next year. Fingers crossed. :)

This, and remember to take cookies with you. ;)

It might not be a bad idea for those who attend a convention to mention in passing to Chuck, "it would be nice if Luke's Toy Store had an exclusive"...

I think that mentioning it in passing couldn't hurt, but please don't go into too much detail, or mention it in an Ask DST. I have probably said too much already, and this is something I will work out with DST eventually. I do appreciate the support though. :)

I don't know about the politics of getting an exclusive but bearing in mind the quantities that some Minimates have been made in, I would imagine that the bottom line production run would be 500. If you doubled that up & said it was 1000 & then factor in the average selling price of a Minimate ...$5 (?) you'd come up with $5000 which I'd imagine would comfortably include DST's profit.

I find it strange that companies like BBTS & Borders got anywhere near previous exclusives?

I guess Chef Duff had the dough :rolleyes:

I don't know about the politics of getting an exclusive but bearing in mind the quantities that some Minimates have been made in, I would imagine that the bottom line production run would be 500. If you doubled that up & said it was 1000 & then factor in the average selling price of a Minimate ...$5 (?) you'd come up with $5000 which I'd imagine would comfortably include DST's profit.

I find it strange that companies like BBTS & Borders got anywhere near previous exclusives?

Chef Duff and Goth Girl are different cases, since these were properties they owned; presumably Luke would be after a Marvel exclusive, or some other existing property. This probably could be a great avenue to get out 'mates that didn't much interest buyers. Offer a small run of a bagged figure of, say, Axel Foley or the comic book Spirit to online retailers. That way, stores that have supported Minimates get a shot at an exclusive (much like Web Armor Spidey), and fans that were bummed when a set was cancelled (like me with comic book Spirit) can still have a chance to get the key figure from a property. Everybody wins.

Anyway, I'm sorry I brought it up, and I hope I didn't get you in trouble, Luke! :blush:

EDIT: I just realized that BHM was making a baking joke. Somehow it rolled past me. :biggrin:

Edited by hellpop

your pun has failed because Chef Duff makes cakes, gaudy awful cakes made of more plywood and rice crispy then real cake, cakes are not made from "dough"

batter get your facts straight next time.

ok cake fans, enough of the... yolks :unsure:

sorry

anyway, sorry to hear how things are going when trying to acquire an exclusive Luke, but the 'top 5 minimate sellers on the planet' part... you must be proud, shirley? Very pleased for you, and will continue to use LTS religiously.

Hey Luke, what's your cell #? Once I corner Chuck at SDCC, I'll make him talk to you. I won't listen in on the conversation or talk about it publicly since it'll be on a knead to know basis. :thumbsup:

Edited by storm 1:08

2. Why do people insist that there's this huge interest in Firefly? It was a fine show and all, but it didn't last a year, the movie wasn't a hit, and it's not even current. Hopefully, Chuck's made it clear that Firefly's never happening, so we can start badgering him for things that matter, like Mystery Science Theater 3000. :biggrin:

I don't know what kind of interest there is, but I was bummed to hear Chuck definitely crush all hopes for it. They had some pretty random licenses before: Desperately Seeking Susan, Man with no Name Trilogy and I would've thought Firefly had some kind of shot. It's the appropriate genre, still has a fanbase at conventions, and most importantly, it's arguably my favorite TV show ever, heh. And when I say appropriate genre, I'd bet most toy collectors know what Firefly is and have enjoyed watching it. I guess they've had bad luck with licenses of "old" properties -- they certainly seem to be trying to release minimates that would hopefully appeal to the general minimate collector (pirates, MAX), than attract the (likely small) fanbase of an old license.

2. Why do people insist that there's this huge interest in Firefly? It was a fine show and all, but it didn't last a year, the movie wasn't a hit, and it's not even current. Hopefully, Chuck's made it clear that Firefly's never happening, so we can start badgering him for things that matter, like Mystery Science Theater 3000. :biggrin:

I don't know what kind of interest there is, but I was bummed to hear Chuck definitely crush all hopes for it. They had some pretty random licenses before: Desperately Seeking Susan, Man with no Name Trilogy and I would've thought Firefly had some kind of shot. It's the appropriate genre, still has a fanbase at conventions, and most importantly, it's arguably my favorite TV show ever, heh. And when I say appropriate genre, I'd bet most toy collectors know what Firefly is and have enjoyed watching it. I guess they've had bad luck with licenses of "old" properties -- they certainly seem to be trying to release minimates that would hopefully appeal to the general minimate collector (pirates, MAX), than attract the (likely small) fanbase of an old license.

The difference with DSS and the Eastwood Minimates is that they were a part of a bigger deal with the studio (was it MGM? I can't remember). So they didn't seek out those movies specifically; they had a list of available movies from which to select covered by the master license.

I don't mean to go off on Firefly, as I liked the show as well, but it seems like that question comes up often, which is probably why Chuck was so pointed in his answer. I think the struggles of Battlestar Gallactica and Star Trek (both, obviously, much more higher-profile properties) have probably turned DST off Sci-Fi for the time being. Can't say I blame them. Of course, Street Fighter seemed to turn them off video games, and look at them now. So who knows when things will cycle back?

Did anyone see yesterday's Q&A? It sounds like XMFC mates have gone from one-hit wonder to possibly on the table for another round...

Perhaps we can hope for a Banshee/Angel 2-pack in the Best of Movie wave?

Edited by Lobsterman

Marvel was clearly not behind XM:FC the way they are the other two movies this summer, for whatever reason. Heck, they didn't even bother with a Stan Lee cameo! So the Minimates, being the only toy tie-in to actually feature the characters from the movie (unlike leftover Wolverine toys rebranded with the First Class logo) have a real chance to be a big success for a movie that's doing better then expected. I think, though, that by the time DST would be able to get new 'mates out, the time will have passed. But who knows. Personally, I'd really like a Rose Byrne Minimate.... :wub:

Marvel was clearly not behind XM:FC the way they are the other two movies this summer, for whatever reason. Heck, they didn't even bother with a Stan Lee cameo!

Maybe they were hoping it was the final nail in the franchise to possibly regain rights from Fox?

Marvel was clearly not behind XM:FC the way they are the other two movies this summer, for whatever reason. Heck, they didn't even bother with a Stan Lee cameo!

Maybe they were hoping it was the final nail in the franchise to possibly regain rights from Fox?

This sounds right. If they were thinking that... oops. Sure I wouldn't mind if Marvel regained the X-Men... As long as they keep Matthew Vaughn and the entire cast on AND don't try to shove in any clever Avengers stuff to have a crossover. Leave First Class's thing alone. This movie deserves the praise it got.

However, I REALLY want more of these guys. Seriously they should get on it NOW! Not-Beast Beast, Banshee, Riptide, Angel, and, if anyone actually cares about him, Darwin, should complete the lineup pretty well. If they want to do more; Not-Blue Mystique, the man in Black, and Moira are all available. Beyond that... Charles in the Wheelchair and End Movie Magneto? That could work. I'm currently working on a QC recipe for the latter, and the former would be easy... if you got that blue-suit Xavier from Target that one time. I know I didn't... That thing was really hard to find.

Speaking of blue suits, anyone know of any that could work for the end of movie Xavier?