UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Chef Duff Minimates

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting to me since Charm City Cakes is based in my home town of Baltimore. Maybe it will be as easy as driving over to the shop and buying some.

If so, and if that is one of the only ways to get them, then you, my friend, will become a very popular member here methinks :)

Ok, I'll admit it. I don't get it. Did Food Network marketing find that nerds eat a lot of cake and is this an attempt to pull in more viewers? I have a billion cable channels and I'm not sure if I even have the Food Network.

Someone on this board needs to fess up. Who here works for the Food Network? I know someone at the Food Network is a closet Minimaniac who got this put into action. Way. To. Go. My hat is off to you!

The Minimate invasion into mainstream culture continues ...

Story goes...

Guy comes to DST to ask about having mates made, is a relative/friend of Cheff Duff who is a minimate fan.

DST say it will cost XTZ to do artwork so the guy writes a check and give the guy costs and numbers to produce them. Guy writes another check... DST send them produced minimates...

A thousand minifans go nuts wondering if they will be able to get thier hands on these!!

T.

A thousand minifans go nuts wondering if they will be able to get thier hands on these!!

T.

I hope that they offer the extras they have produced on their website or something. Would suck if they offer them as giveaways with their cakes or something. I bet their cakes cost a bit.

Story goes...

Guy comes to DST to ask about having mates made, is a relative/friend of Cheff Duff who is a minimate fan.

DST say it will cost XTZ to do artwork so the guy writes a check and give the guy costs and numbers to produce them. Guy writes another check... DST send them produced minimates...

T.

Alright so you obviously have insider info, so at what point in production are these?

Well in that case damned it all to heck what the carp are they going to do with these little buggers!!!

I imagine that DST wouldn't be parading them in front of all-kinds of prospective buyers at SDCC if they thought they were not going to be availalbe at some retail level.

Most everything that DST shows at these types of trade shows and conventions is with the intent to generate retail and distributor interest. Unless it's something that flatlines due to lack of interest like the 3rd season of 24 or the BSG vehicles etc. then I don't think it makes sense to show the product off just for the sake of show.

ANd anyway... Just imagine all the grief DST Matt & Chuck would take in the next six or eight Q&A's if they just dangled this product as a teaser.... people still haven't gotten the BSG ships or SF2 worked out of their system :pinch: Doh!

Getting one of these awesome new 'Chef Duffs' should be a piece of cake ........ if you have the dough ! I 've been trying to sponge some more info from the guys at DST regarding the 'variant' Miss Chef Duff . She has great buns apparently which will be the 'icing on the proverbial'. San Diego itself is actually awash with 'cakes'- fruit & nut especially. Seriously this could lead to some fantastic customs .....dibs on Caketin America ;)

Anyway of to the Com to see what's cooking.

Getting one of these awesome new 'Chef Duffs' should be a piece of cake ........ if you have the dough ! I 've been trying to sponge some more info from the guys at DST regarding the 'variant' Miss Chef Duff . She has great buns apparently which will be the 'icing on the proverbial'. San Diego itself is actually awash with 'cakes'- fruit & nut especially. Seriously this could lead to some fantastic customs .....dibs on Caketin America ;)

Anyway of to the Com to see what's cooking.

Ok stick a fork in it this thread is done with food puns.

For what it's worth, note that it's branded with Charm City Cakes, not Ace of Cakes. This indicates to me that Food Network is not involved in this in any way. (Which gels with the tale that TBT told.)

At the very least, they can sell to us MiniMate fans. :-)

Ok folks... just to try and get some solid answers I emailed CCC and asked some questions.

Assuming the guy is a fan of minimates then I suspect he'll reply and let uus know the scoop.

As and when I hear back I'll let you know.

T.

For what it's worth, note that it's branded with Charm City Cakes, not Ace of Cakes. This indicates to me that Food Network is not involved in this in any way. (Which gels with the tale that TBT told.)

At the very least, they can sell to us MiniMate fans. :-)

They have a merchandise link on their website with shirts & hats. Perhaps we'll see them there?????

Hey folks,

The scoop is... Duff's brother and manager, answered, seems like a rally cool guy.

He answered some questions

To answer your questions about our exclusive charmcitycakes.com Minimate exclusive:

1) These are fully completed and will be offered for sale on our website sometime next month.

2) The initial order was for 3000, but we may do additional figures/designs if they sell well.

3) Duff IS a huge Minimate fan and is especially happy to be working with another local Baltimore business, Diamond Select "to help support out local hometown industry."

So there you have it folks... If you are reading this Duff/Willie then thanks for answering and feel free stop by anytime.

T.

I agree, cool custom accessories. I figured the Baltimore connection was how this came to be. I'm glad they're going to be available on the website. I am also only about an hour from Baltimordor myself, so if I can avoid shipping costs, I may drop by there some time when I'm in the area and grab some from the store (if they even have them available there).

It's great that a working-class fan, like Duff, gets a little success and exposure and decides to do something like this. It's also cool that DST is accessible and, with enough cash, you can get an exclusive minimate set. Knowing the production numbers and costs involved in a simple two-pack of figures, I can't imagine how much they had to pay for all those extras in the set!

Looks like fun.

It's great that a working-class fan, like Duff, gets a little success and exposure and decides to do something like this. It's also cool that DST is accessible and, with enough cash, you can get an exclusive minimate set. Knowing the production numbers and costs involved in a simple two-pack of figures, I can't imagine how much they had to pay for all those extras in the set!

DST has always been pretty good in terms of "if you bring the money, we'll supply the 'mates". We were working on a MMHQ exclusive at one point, and got pretty far in talks with DST, but we couldn't get all the beer, liquor, and vodka companies necessary to accompany a Jatta Pake mate to sign on for the production. The Jack Daniels lawyers aren't done with us yet, which has hampered any further plans for the foreseeable future.