UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Chef Duff Minimates

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I'm not completely enthusiastic about this set as you may have guessed but I received a polite reply to my email. In a nutshell there has apparently been only one received complaint about the packaging so far! Lazy customers make lazy merchants,so if your happy with your damaged goods then there is no problem.

Personally, I don't care about the packaging, since they're custom fodder only. I couldn't care less about Ace of Cakes and I don't watch the show, so Duff isn't a celeb IMO.

I'm not a lazy consumer, I'm just apathetic because the package isn't what I was buying the 'mate for.

Doesn't it upset you even a little bit that you paid 8 bucks for shipping for something that came a looking destroyed like someone didn't care? On the off chance you were not going to open it I bet it'd piss you off. So c'mon help the rest of us out a little bit ;)

Personally, I don't care about the packaging, since they're custom fodder only. I couldn't care less about Ace of Cakes and I don't watch the show, so Duff isn't a celeb IMO.

I'm not a lazy consumer, I'm just apathetic because the package isn't what I was buying the 'mate for.

Doesn't it upset you even a little bit that you paid 8 bucks for shipping for something that came a looking destroyed like someone didn't care? On the off chance you were not going to open it I bet it'd piss you off. So c'mon help the rest of us out a little bit ;)

True apathy will be demonstrated when you try to complain to UPS that they should not have used the package to chock the wheels of the van that delivered it.

Here's a little preview....

Press the issue with Charm City, who will, in turn, point the finger at UPS for mishandling the package.

UPS will, in turn, point out that the item should have been packaged better and redirect blame to Charm City.

Charm City will assert tha the package WAS sufficient and UPS should have used a better standard of care.

UPS will concede that you can place a claim once you prove damage and fill out about 4 different claim forms in English, Spanish, German and a dialect of Russian that hasn't been spoken in about 500 years.

When the claims department contacts one day short of the 3-week processing timeline, they will ask for pictures and proof of damage.

Assuming that you can successfully argue that they are liable for damage to the packaging (even though the Minimate is intact), they will validate your claim for the default insurance on UPS ground charges which will probably work out to about $.60 /lb - and promptly cut you a check for $1.80 for your trouble.

Though I wouldn't charactierize myself as lazy, my time is certainly worth more than that trouble.

Sorry - but I'd say this battle is all yours.

perhaps I should buy a case and ask they are shipped in it... then keep them for a couple of yrs and make a fortune selling them as VERY RARE Mint on card versions!

Someone needs to point out to them that Toy collectors value packaging and they wont sell many if they turn up trashed!

T.

I ordered 3 sets, and they came in the envelope. None of mine were damaged. Maybe it's based on the driver or truck packers in your area. The UPS driver that delivers to me pretty much knows most of my packages are toys(collectibles) and is pretty good with careful delivery. I guess you takes your chances. Charm City Cakes merch. is mostly clothes so the envelope is probably standard packing.

No. Not really. Cbecker's assessment is pretty spot on. I've worked for an internet retailer and shipped hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. A $32.00 item with the box banged up really isn't worth the effort I'd put into it.

Not only that but, I feel absolutely giddy about NOT paying $15.00 for a package of stickers plus $6.00 shipping....

Just ordered 2 sets of accessories plus some guy I don't give a hoot about.

I'm glad for his fans, sure.

But I just paid 20-ish bucks for accessories.

So while it's really cool that we're getting these... it's still the "Desperately Seeking Susan Effect" for me personally:

The Desperetaly Seeking Susan Effect is when I see something like this and in my head automatically say to myself:

"But why does DCD suck so much that we can't have DC minimates?!"

Just ordered 2 sets of accessories plus some guy I don't give a hoot about.

I'm glad for his fans, sure.

But I just paid 20-ish bucks for accessories.

So while it's really cool that we're getting these... it's still the "Desperately Seeking Susan Effect" for me personally:

The Desperetaly Seeking Susan Effect is when I see something like this and in my head automatically say to myself:

"But why does DCD suck so much that we can't have DC minimates?!"

The cake guy is truely an exception to all the rules - this was almost entirely a private enterprise that had nothing to do with licensing or popularity or any of the market factors that drive DCD or Desperately Seeking Susan. This product was ordered as an exclusive for a single, pseudo-retail outlet, based in large part to the guy's notoriety on the Food Network, his fondness for minimates and his ability to capitalize the order. I don't really see that Duffmates compare to the rest in that respect.

As for the DSS Effect - sure its a little obscure and odd to have a toyline based on that property. But the decision to cancel was DC's all along. DST's marketing of the DSS 'mates again doesn't compare. Different companies & different licenses suggest that market factors are also different. DCD and DST may use very different criteria for marketability. DCD may also have other avenues that they are pursuing with other toymakers that may not be open to to DST's DSS license.

The success/failure or availability of any of these licenses does not seem to affect or be affected by the success/failure or availability of the others.

perhaps I should buy a case and ask they are shipped in it... then keep them for a couple of yrs and make a fortune selling them as VERY RARE Mint on card versions!

Someone needs to point out to them that Toy collectors value packaging and they wont sell many if they turn up trashed!

T.

I'm betting collectors aren't the target market - try fans.... and I'd bet they're a lot less discriminating (afterall, have you watched the food network :pinch: )

Despite what I've said I am not aiming my venom at Chef Duff himself. I don't believe for one moment that he is sitting in an office stuffing padded envelopes with Minimates but somebody in his organisation is. Any individual who loves Minimates enough to produce their own deserves my respect & gets it. My venom is aimed at the plonker who made the padded envelope decision . If this decision was made to save shipping costs then perhaps the customer could have been given the choice of paying a tad more for a safe delivery in a box. If packaging isn't important why bother packaging Chef Duff Minimates at all? Sell them loose!

Packaging IS important it is the consumers' first contact with the product which is probably why there is so much on clearance at FYE/Suncoast . Having bought some Minimate Packets from the San Diego Suncoast ,not one would hold the title of VGC let alone MIB, covered in clearance labels ,dinged boxes & torn J-hangers. Not for non-openers.

This all reminds me of the story of the two postal workers observing an A4 ,card-backed envelope with the words 'PHOTOGRAPHS - DO NOT BEND' printed in huge letters on it. The first guy winks at the second guy ,grabs the envelope & folds it neatly in half .....

...... "Oh yes they do!" :D

OK I'm not completely enthusiastic about this set as you may have guessed but I received a polite reply to my email. In a nutshell there has apparently been only one received complaint about the packaging so far! Lazy customers make lazy merchants,so if your happy with your damaged goods then there is no problem.

That would be me. I emailed them and expressed my concerns about the packaging. I said I wasn't overly bothered by the damage to my boxes, since I open mine anyway, but I said that some collectors prefer their items in mint condition in the package and that for future shipments, they might want to invest in boxes. They responded back asking for a description of the damages, to which I answered. They thanked me for my help and told me they are working on their shipping methods now.

I imagine this is the first piece of merchandise that they've sold (outside of cakes, which they hand deliver) that the packaging might actually matter, so they just might not have considered the consequences. If a shirt gets crumpled, its hardly important, but if a blister card is crushed, people will get mad.

That would be me. I emailed them and expressed my concerns about the packaging. I said I wasn't overly bothered by the damage to my boxes, since I open mine anyway, but I said that some collectors prefer their items in mint condition in the package and that for future shipments, they might want to invest in boxes. They responded back asking for a description of the damages, to which I answered. They thanked me for my help and told me they are working on their shipping methods now.

I imagine this is the first piece of merchandise that they've sold (outside of cakes, which they hand deliver) that the packaging might actually matter, so they just might not have considered the consequences. If a shirt gets crumpled, its hardly important, but if a blister card is crushed, people will get mad.

(Best non-patronising voice) Well done,constructive criticism is better than apathy. :thumbsup:

I just got a response for my email:

"Thanks for your feedback. We have switched our shipping packaging over to boxes to better protect the contents. We'll be happy to send a replacement. Please return the damaged merchandise to:

Returns and Exchanges

Charm City Cakes

2936 Remington Ave

Baltimore, MD 21211

Once received, we will issue a replacement and refund your return shipping costs. "

I just got a response for my email:

"Thanks for your feedback. We have switched our shipping packaging over to boxes to better protect the contents. We'll be happy to send a replacement. Please return the damaged merchandise to:

Returns and Exchanges

Charm City Cakes

2936 Remington Ave

Baltimore, MD 21211

Once received, we will issue a replacement and refund your return shipping costs. "

Another indication Charm City is inexperienced in this area. Since they were shipped UPS, Charm City should have the ability to have a call tag generated. (They'd have to pay for this service, but cost for them would be minimal.) There are a variety of return shipping options available for retailers. Charm City may not even be aware of this option and might just need a little education from their customers.

Likewise, I'm not trying to talk shit about this Chef guy or Madonna with my post.

It just kills me that (and I understand it was DCD's bonehead decision and no one else's) they cancelled DC minimates, yet I can still get some Food Network guy or Madonna from a movie that (from all appearances I've read online) minimate collectors are ambivalent towards.

From their responses it sounds like Charm City Cakes is going to rectify the situation so any MIPer's will be satisfied. I'm really looking forward to getting my order so I can start using all of the wicked accessories for customizing!

I just got back into town post-hurricane last night, and mine also arrived in squashed up condition (who knows how long they were sitting there, though--damn UPS just dropping shit off in the middle of a damn hurricane recovery). It seems like they sent mine in a small padded envelope that would typically be used for sending t-shirts. However, nothing too serious for an opener like myself.

I just got back into town post-hurricane last night, and mine also arrived in squashed up condition (who knows how long they were sitting there, though--damn UPS just dropping shit off in the middle of a damn hurricane recovery). It seems like they sent mine in a small padded envelope that would typically be used for sending t-shirts. However, nothing too serious for an opener like myself.

Hey Karamazov80,

When your ordered your Duff from Charm City Cakes, did they charge you for shipping? I ordered two at $8 a pop and when the order was completed they only charged me $16 with a statement on no shipping.

Hey Karamazov80,

When your ordered your Duff from Charm City Cakes, did they charge you for shipping? I ordered two at $8 a pop and when the order was completed they only charged me $16 with a statement on no shipping.

I'm pretty sure that they did. I ordered 3 and was charged a little over 30 bucks, I believe.

WOW!! FAST! Ordered Monday and they came today. Granted, I live only an hour from Baltimore, still, I'm impressed. They came in a box and bubble wrapped. Shipping was more than the $6.00 for one plus $1.00 for each additional but I'm not complaining. I have an extra for anyone outside the U.S. or Canada that wants it for the $11 I paid plus shipping to you. PM me and let me know.

Cool accessories and a nice packaging design. Ace of mates!