UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Video Game Discussion

neolego

Help me Wii people! I got the regular Wii set and it looks like it comes with one controller. I also got an additional controller and one nunchuck controller. What more should I get for it before Santa arrives (besides games)?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, here is my Wii Shopping List for you:

Wii Play

-Now, you said no games, but I mentioned Wii Play because it's $50 and comes with a remote. You will want the extra controller and the minigames are pretty fun for $10 more. If you can find it, pick it up!

Wii Zapper

-This had got mixed reviews, but coming from a seasoned gammer, it's a lot of fun. It comes with a short and simple Link's Crossbow game and while it's not anything special it still serves it purpose well and if we know anything about Nintendo they will be releasing games for the Zapper in the future......Dunk Hunt anyone ?!?!

Wii Points Cards

-I would reccomend as many cards as you can afford, lol. Let's see........Super Mario 1-3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: I, II, LttP, OoT, Super Metroid, Waverace, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Mario Kart 64, Ninja Gaiden, Sonic 1-3....just to name a few. If nothing else, a few thousand points (one card=2000 points) will get you Super Mario, Super Mario 3, Super Metroid, and Legend of Zelda: LttP, and those are all MUST OWN games!

Router/USB Adaptor (Nintendo)

-I would assume you already have a wireless home network, however if you do not I would suggest you pick up either A ) a wiress router or B ) Nintendo's USB wireless adaptor. With the News Channel, Forcast Channel, Check Mii Out Channel, and Internet Browser, there is a lot to do and it's completely Free. Add in the Virtual Console and Online Gamming and you will want to be online!

That's all I can think of, hope that helps! neo

Yes, I agree with Trekker on this. The steering wheel wasn't much of a help, in fact Excite Truck was more fun with just the Remote. However, I do have high hopes for Nintendo's Wheel coming out with Mario Kart........until then I would also "steer" away from them. Ha, I couldn't resist B).

I haven't used the sword thing, but I would assume it would be kinda lame since the action motions are 1:1. neo

Thanks guys! I got the Wii with a game...I think Wii Sports(?). I also got Mario Galaxy (again, I think thats what its called). I'm not much of a gamer and the games I do play are almost all classic or FPS games on X360.

I certainly appreciate the help.

Ok friends, my wife and I have decided that a Wii will be our big Christmas present to each other for this year. My fear is, though, that I won't be able to find one. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to track down one of these buggers? We just want to start with the system and a controller, and maybe Guitar Hero 3. I've tried calling Wal-Marts early in the morning with no success - they never get any in. Please help!

Ok friends, my wife and I have decided that a Wii will be our big Christmas present to each other for this year. My fear is, though, that I won't be able to find one. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to track down one of these buggers? We just want to start with the system and a controller, and maybe Guitar Hero 3. I've tried calling Wal-Marts early in the morning with no success - they never get any in. Please help!

Its probably best just to keep calling Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, and other stores like Gameware and EB Games every couple of days. Some of them might have an idea when a shipment will arrive, some won't (and some shipments will be stocked when a store opens in the morning, but some others may stock at different times in the day). Since so many people are still trying to get the dang thing, you will have to be persistent if you want to get one. My mom was trying to get one for my nephew, but gave up a couple of weeks ago as she could never get to a store before they sold out (probably by scalpers putting them on eBay). To be safe, though, I would have a back-up plan in case you can't get the Wii. On a related note, I can't believe its been out one year and Nintendo still can't meet demand.

Bad news dude, Wiis are still extremely positive and EXTREMELY limited. karamazov80 (can I call you something smaller, like kara??) is right though, it would be best to keep calling. Each store will be getting more Wiis before Christmas, but they will go fast. The best thing to do is find someone really nice at your local stores and butter them up and then you can get some info. Find out when they do their stock and around when. For instance, I know that my local Best Buy restocks (majority) Saturday, getting ready for the Sunday sells. My local Super Target, however, stocks all new products on Wednesday and then will "replentish" on Saturday before the sells. Walmart though is a completely different beast, but I've become really close to the night manager and if I go in around 11pm he will let me hang around as the stock comes out (This is how I got my 2nd DS Lite). So, it will be hard to find one, but it is possible. I say you get out there and start making some contacts :). neo

can I call you something smaller, like kara??

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me you can call me Al.

Seriously though, just call me Sam. Kara's a (Super)girl's name. :thumbsup:

My local TRU is putting the Wii's out for sale every Sunday morning between now and Christmas, so it might be worth checking to see if your local TRU does something similar.

The drawback - there are people in line for the Wii at 10 PM Saturday night.

Quick Request for you guys. I'm jonesing for some Guitar Hero III. I don't want to get into a personal discussion, but I prefer not to listen to secular music so I haven't bought Guitar Hero because of the Lyrics of the songs. That being said, a friend of mine said there was a way to turn the lyrics OFF. Of course, he doesn't own the game so I don't know how much he actually knows. So, with that being said, I know several people here have the game. Can someone confirm if there is a way to turn the Lyrics of the songs off and just have the music? If you can this may be under my tree this week :D. neo

If you play in Practice Mode there are no lyrics, but for the main game I don't know of any way to turn them off.

Thanks to all for your encouragement re: my search for a Wii. Wouldn't you know it, I stopped by a nearby Wal-Mart around noon today, asked the lady at electronics if they had any, and about 20 minutes later, they brought out a fresh box from the back! There were three in the box, and once she opened it, the other two were snapped up within minutes by a couple guys who were in the area and said, 'hey, is that the Wii???"

To Soylent - Congrats! That's a great story, and unfortunetly that is how it works these days. If you don't get it as it comes out of the box, it isn't going to make it to the case :). Have a Merry Christmas, you guys will love it!

To Handsomedevil - thanks for that. After talking with my friend (see previous post) I had a feeling he missed a major detail and NO MUSIC whatsoever is a MAJOR detail, lol. Oh well, there is always hope for the next game. neo

I just started playing From Russia with love. I am a James Bond fan, I think they rocks. all I can think about is playing the game. once I finish a level I just want to go back and play it again and find all the hidden stuff.

I just started playing From Russia with love. I am a James Bond fan, I think they rocks. all I can think about is playing the game. once I finish a level I just want to go back and play it again and find all the hidden stuff.

I was just thinking last night about trying to find my old N64 so that I could play some Goldeneye. When I was in college, me and my buddies would spend hours upon hours playing that game.

If this is what the new SF game is going to look like, we might just see some renewed interest in the property...

newsfgame.jpg

It's rumored to only be released on the Xbox360 & ps3 platforms though. :(

Totally unrelated, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 is an awesome Wii game. Got it for the kids last week and they haven't put it down since. Awesome mini games - really funny stuff. Everyone can play this one btw. My 3 year old gets right in there and mixes it up with the older kids - actually winning some of the challenges.

Wow, that looks beyond awesome (I just opened a SOTA Previews Ryu yesterday, so I'm definitely in the retro-Street Fighter vibe). . .the only drawback is that I fear the fighting mechanics will be similar to modern fighting games (Tekken, Soul Caliber, Virtua Fighter, etc.), where its a lot more complex than the original Street Fighter. I've never really gotten far beyond "button-mashing" on these newfangled games, but maybe this will be the impetus for me to really learn how to play one, and then maybe I won't view it as a drawback after all.

Any news on if the entire original cast will show up, or if they will do like SF 3 and throw in 3 or 4 originals with a bunch of new characters?

They have confirmed that while SF4 will have fully motion 3D backdrops with a lot of action taking place, the fighting will remain 2D.

That's pretty awesome, as I agree with Sam, a lot of the more recent 3D fighters are very difficult to learn and just confusing at times. I remember the Glory Days of Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat...........ah, those were the days. I honestly can't wait to get my hands on SF4........Xbox360........LIVE = Awesome! neo

The trailer features Ryu & Ken, so I'd guess they're both in, but who else is anybody's guess.

If you let the next video start after that trailer, there is an interesting breakdown of what the game might be like. I really like the idea of keeping it 2-D, but adding complexity to it beyond the stuff from the Marvel vs. Capcom games, in terms of reversals, combos, etc. The old game was limited in many ways, after all. I guess we'll have to wait and see, though. With Resident Evil 5, GTA IV, and now this, color me glad to have a 360 :)

I'm hoping to get my own for Christmas. Sharing my bro is no fun. He barely lets me go on it. Street Fighter 4 looks awesome! I hope characters like Chun Li and Blanka are on it.