UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Game of Thrones (HBO) Discussion ~no book spoilers allowed~

Zak Katz

Bran's story wont be featured this season as George RR Martin has not written past that point yet, though with the show now diverging largely from the books, this may change next season

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the highs though? When has anything good ever happened on this show?

Dany riding a fucking dragon out of the arena made my tits tingle. That was so cool that I entirely blocked out what Stannis did.

My Facebook friends were posting "Great episode... except for THAT horrible thing!" And I was literally wondering what "horrible thing" they were talking about. I was so thrilled with the notion of this fantasy show going as far as showing a chick riding a dragon that I'd almost forgotten about the little girl who'd just been burned alive.

It was a good/bad day for girls and fire.

Yeah, the highs are all over the place. In that episode alone you had Jaime's negotiation of Bronn's release (a huge point of relief for me!), Jorah apparently regaining his position as a trusted aid to Dany, and the flight away from the fighting Colosseum at the end. I'm sure very soon we will see Arya dishing out some violent justice, the Boltons and/or Stannis getting what's coming to them, Brienne kicking some ass, and possibly Theon finding some redemption, which are all things the audience wants to see. If the story didn't have things like that, interest would wane very quickly, because the viewer is looking for hope/release/redemption/justice. It's a lot like life in general IMO. We go through crap a lot, horrible things happen in the world, but we also have the good things that keep us going, and that are all that much sweeter because they exist despite all the darkness out there.

Edited by karamazov80

Stannis is a fool. He's grinding his army into ground before they even get to attack. I convinced the witch doesn't know what's she's doing and is just making it up as she goes along.

Im more convinced in every episode she is in that Melisandre is the ONLY person in westeros that knows exactly what shes doing and what will happen.

Yeah, the highs are all over the place. In that episode alone you had Jaime's negotiation of Bronn's release (a huge point of relief for me!), Jorah apparently regaining his position as a trusted aid to Dany, and the flight away from the fighting Colosseum at the end. I'm sure very soon we will see Arya dishing out some violent justice, the Boltons and/or Stannis getting what's coming to them, Brienne kicking some ass, and possibly Theon finding some redemption, which are all things the audience wants to see. If the story didn't have things like that, interest would wane very quickly, because the viewer is looking for hope/release/redemption/justice. It's a lot like life in general IMO. We go through crap a lot, horrible things happen in the world, but we also have the good things that keep us going, and that are all that much sweeter because they exist despite all the darkness out there.

http://youtu.be/L2Wx230gYJw

Yeah, brutal. Of all the things I could imagine happening, that wasn't one of them. Having said that. . .

I don't think it's a coincidence that Mellisandre appeared right before Jon was offed. I suspect her higher power was guiding her there, and maybe. . .just maybe she'll be able to revive him as the Lord of Light previously has with Beric Dondarrion. Harrington said in an interview that Jon Snow is dead for good, but maybe he could be revived with another identity or something?

*note that this spoiler is based in no way on the books, which I haven't read, but is just speculation.

Edited by karamazov80

LOL That's their shtick! A comedian could make a living off of "So a Stark walks into a trap. . ." jokes.

I'm reading that lots of people are just done with Game of Thrones after last night. So now, we have three discrete moments this season where chunks of fans decided they had had enough--Sansa's rape, the burning of Stannis's daughter, and Snow's death laugh.png

That was a lot of death.

Stannis' end was unexpected, at least by Brienne's hand.

There was some confusion as to where Theon and Sansa were jumping to but it's probably more about who they were jumping from.

Arya's vengeance was satisfying but what a price to pay.

Jaime's paternal confession was strangely heart-warming until-- ACK!

Cersei's walk of shame was agonizing. When she learns of her daughter's death, her new FrankenKnight will have a long To-Do list.

Dany really needs to watch How to Train Your Dragon.
I loved the awkward silence in the audience chamber as Tyrion contemplated his new responsibilities.
Jon Snow's death was perfect. As with Sansa's wedding night and Shireen's family barbecue, I'd have been more disappointed if it hadn't happened. You don't get to piss off a pack of rapists and murderers without some kind of consequences.
I just hope they're smart enough to burn the body so the White Walkers don't bring him back.

very good finale thumbsup.gif

im a little surprised at people being so outraged , and quitting the show, based on the horrendous acts potrayed lately, what did you think you were watching a Disney production? Incest and beheadings are ok but marital rape is too far? weve seen others burned at the stake etc havent we?

Edited by Mattallica

This season was a chore. I really don't know if we'll keep watching. And no, it wasn't any one scene that did it, just the culmination of hours and hours of bleakness. If Jon is really dead, who is there to root for? Dany? That's no way to live.

Seriously, there was one nice moment in the entire episode, between Jamie and Princess Whatshername. And so, of course... she dies. This was a really, really cruel episode to women.

Well, if women still want to be treated equally, they can suffer, too.

Personally I'm not paying attention to what's between a character's legs unless something's crawling out of it or being chopped off. In this Game, everyone suffers.

That red witch took off for The Wall as soon as she realized the shitstorm she'd gotten into. Brienne executed Stannis. Sansa escaped Ramsay. Arya killed the first person on her death list in a pretty gruesome way and only lost her eyesight. Dany is safe with Drogon and her old horse-riding buddies. Sam got his girlfriend and namesake out of the North. I'd say the ladies fared okay.

Stannis lost his wife and everyone left in his army because he followed a woman's advice and was killed by another woman. Theon and Sansa jumped to an uncertain fate after killing a woman who threatened to maim her. Jamie lost his daughter because a woman poisoned her. Cersei endured her Walk of Shame because a woman coerced a confession out of her.

One of the reasons I like this show is because it doesn't treat the women any differently than the men. Everyone's flawed, everyone shows signs of redemption, everyone struggles and anyone can die. If it's a cruel show for women then it's a cruel show for men, too.

If you want to watch a show that's really horrible for women, watch Downton Abbey.

I guess. Maybe I just don't want to watch a show where everyone's always suffering anymore. Well, except for Ramsey. He never suffers. wallbash.gif

I hope the show ends with Ramsay on the Iron Throne, flaying Dany and Tyrion while the screen fades to black.

At this rate K80, that wouldn't surprise me.

Sansa is probably dead unless she landed on Reek

Dany I'm guessing doesn't have cache with those Dothraki since they followed Drogo, not her

and I'm very disappointed about Jon, even though it was very obvious that he was being tricked, how'd he not see that?

Now I'm officially with team Cersei (I love Fraken-Mountain). I can't wait to see what she does for redemption, revenge?

This show flips everything on you so fast.

This season was a chore. I really don't know if we'll keep watching. And no, it wasn't any one scene that did it, just the culmination of hours and hours of bleakness. If Jon is really dead, who is there to root for? Dany? That's no way to live.

Forgetting Bran, are you?

I'd always assumed that Jon was the child of Leanna and Rheagar, and as such would have the most legitimate of all claims to the throne. Not to mention, he would have been born of both fire and ice. If he's truly dead, more's the pity, as that theory's out the window.

If Stannis IS dead, that means his betrayal of his daughter served only to drive his men from his service, leaving him vulnerable to attack. I'd rather believe he yet lives, and that his moment of weakness will have a more lasting impact on his character.

Yes, I forgot about Bran. Didn't you? He's fucking Bran! I can't say I noticed his absence for a second on this season.

I buy into the theory that Jon will rise again,that he's got king's blood in him, and that he's like that other guy we saw a few seasons ago that can't die. I forget the name of the religious sect, but it makes sense for Jon.

I feel confident that Stannis is dead. There's no way that Brianne stopped short of her sword stroke, unless something stopped her, and if that's the case, why not show that? It's a better cliffhanger if someone (or something) kills Brianne and carries off Stannis rather then just cutting to black and saving that for next year. But, really, this feels like the end of his story. He was a hard man that, in the end, betrayed the very core of his being on a folly, and it lead to his doom. What more is there to do with him?

I don't think Reek and Sansa are dead; having grown up in Winterfell, they probably knew that the snow was deep enough to cushion their fall.

Edited by hellpop