UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New York Toyfair 2015

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lego also just released a Frozen set, which sold out everywhere right away. And by "everywhere", I'm including Lego Shop's online store, tru.com, and Amazon. There's still a high demand for Frozen product. It's about as active as you get.

That said, I do think it's something DC related, just based on Zach's unwillingness to just say it's not DC related. He's never been coy about shooting something down in the past. The fact that they are also doing Selects is a weird thing, since DC has their own in-house company that basically does the same thing, and they've made figures for just about every active media property they have. So it could be Arrow, could be Flash, could be the Batman Arkham games. I still think it's Batman '66, though.

Hasbro just acquired the rights to Frozen last September. It's a very active property.

Other companies are currently producing Firefly merchandise, and Zach dismissed it as not being an "active" property. If '66 Batman is considered "active" because a comic based off of it is around, then I think we're stretching that term pretty thin. But hey, I hope that's the case!

There's a big difference between Hasbro – the third largest mass market toy manufacturer in the world – and "other companies." Disney's got a new Frozen short coming out to keep the momentum going while they work on a sequel so they can make this their next evergreen property. The property's getting a ridiculous amount of support from the studio, licensees, and retailers alike.

When Firefly gets another film or TV series, I'll be there with bells on but that property was never as popular as Frozen (unfortunately).

The only thing that's popular about Batman '66 right now is the word "Batman." Even so, there's no movie planned (unless you count the 2016 Superman sequel that already has fans divided) and there's no cartoon (unless you count the direct-to-home-video features specifically supporting Mattel's non-Batman '66 toy lines). Even the TV series is performing below expectations now that it's finally been released to DVD.

Yeah, but. . .

I'm guessing the new license is Joss Whedon's Firefly.

Nope, it's an active mainstream property.

Implication that Firefly is neither active, nor mainstream. If "active" were to equate with property with currently available merchandise, then we wouldn't have this:

http://qmxonline.com/products/malcolm-reynolds-1-6-scale-articulated-figure

Firstly, Firefly was never “mainstream” or Netflix would listen to people rallying for new episodes and “Serenity” might have been a successful movie franchise... Firefly is straight up “cult”

Secondly, being “cult” any product it’s getting isn’t part of marketing push by FOX to keep making money off the public’s love of the franchise, it’s small companies making niche figures for the cult followers.

Frozen and Batman are mainstream because real companies make products for them, I’ve never heard of QMX I’ve heard of Hasbro and Mattel. Yes, Funko is making figures, but given NECA has refused demands for years and Funko’s has also made Legacy figures for “Fantastic Mr. Fox”, “Magic:The Gathering" and “Book of Life” at least two of which were flops (I don’t know how Mr.Fox sold, but BoL and M:TG... not well) I think it’s safe to they’re going for “hey you know what would be neat” or “well personally I want...” and not “hey you know what would appeal to the largest group of people to maximize sales”

Plus, ignoring merchandising: Batman 66 has an on going comic. Frozen has characters on OUAT and a new short coming out in a couple months, Firefly has nothing.... so even on that most basic of “active franchise” both are still in play.

I don't think Zach has ever held off on debunking anything THIS long lol

I THINK the guess that it's DCCU is right, with Batfleck vs Superbeard @ SDCC

Oh my god this week has been CRAZY! Zola had a kid, Marvel Got the rights to Spider-Man, and Dst is bringing back DC Minimates!!!

I THINK the guess that it's DCCU is right, with Batfleck vs Superbeard @ SDCC

Now I still think Mattel is the problem there.

Yes, they’re not *currently* making 6inch figures and have NEVER made 7inch figures, but NECA’s Keaton Batman had to be a Blu-ray pack-in last month (okay, late December) because of Mattel’s hold on the license.

Even if they don’t make 6inch BvS:DoJ figures, they’re not going to let another company scoop up the rights because they don’t want someone making money THEY could have made. They CLEARLY have no intentions of releasing a 6inch Keaton Batman but kept NECA from releasing a 7inch one.

Plus, if Mattel did decide to let the BvS:DoJ license (they won’t) NECA would probably grab it first. Someone at Warner Brothers clearly likes their work since they let them get a one-time work around to release a NES Batman and then did a loophole jump to get it released in normal colors (and I wouldn’t be surprised if the upcoming 18inch Reeves Superman gets a similar ‘okay you can make a small one just ONE TIME as NES figure... now repaint it as a DVD bonus!’ treatment)... if the 7inch license was free, even if just for older style statue figures, they’d probably offer it to NECA first and NECA would be crazy to turn it down.

Firstly, Firefly was never “mainstream” or Netflix would listen to people rallying for new episodes and “Serenity” might have been a successful movie franchise... Firefly is straight up “cult”

Secondly, being “cult” any product it’s getting isn’t part of marketing push by FOX to keep making money off the public’s love of the franchise, it’s small companies making niche figures for the cult followers.

Frozen and Batman are mainstream because real companies make products for them, I’ve never heard of QMX I’ve heard of Hasbro and Mattel. Yes, Funko is making figures, but given NECA has refused demands for years and Funko’s has also made Legacy figures for “Fantastic Mr. Fox”, “Magic:The Gathering" and “Book of Life” at least two of which were flops (I don’t know how Mr.Fox sold, but BoL and M:TG... not well) I think it’s safe to they’re going for “hey you know what would be neat” or “well personally I want...” and not “hey you know what would appeal to the largest group of people to maximize sales”

Plus, ignoring merchandising: Batman 66 has an on going comic. Frozen has characters on OUAT and a new short coming out in a couple months, Firefly has nothing.... so even on that most basic of “active franchise” both are still in play.

I'm not disputing your mainstream vs. not mainstream distinction. Clearly, Zach considers Firefly out of the mainstream, and you can't be much more mainstream than Frozen or DC. But I still say you're stretching the concept to say that something associated with an online comic or a short constitute an "active" property. But ultimately, we'll see. I'm not trying to will these ideas out of existence or anything, fellas!

But I still say you're stretching the concept to say that something associated with an online comic or a short constitute an "active" property.

How is having a short not “active”, the success of Frozen took Disney by surprise so a short was all they could produce to meet demand without crapping out a rushed sequel, do we consider Spider-man an “inactive” movie franchise because his next role is a cameo in Captain America 3 and the plans for his next solo movie are being hammered out?

If we do, fine, Frozen’s an inactive *film* franchise, but to say the only activity of Frozen in motion media is the upcoming short is ignoring Once Upon A Time, which again has a Frozen centered story arc for it’s current (on Winter break, but still current) season.

Maybe just maybe ...?

(Elsa Freeze)

BHM’s RIGHT!!! IT’S ARKHAMVERSE BATMAN!!!!!!!!

(Elsa’s dad is voiced by the great Maurice LeMarsh, whom we already have in minimate form in RGB Egon, Maurice is also of course Arkham Mr.Freeze... do doo do dooooo *little star flies by*)

Edited by dr baghead

That was awesome!

As far as "active" goes, I think you just need to look at the sheer tonnage of merchandise on the shelves to determine if a property is "active" or not.

Frozen = Tons of Merch (Literally, it's on everything, everywhere)

Firefly = Not so much.

An active TV license? Im saying Gotham. Its has the draw of batman, even though batman isnt in it. If it IS Gotham, then I can see this segwaying into more DCTV mates. As for the SDCC 2 pack? Gordon and Bullock or Alfred and Bruce.

If it were Gotham mates, it would be just our luck to finally get a new DC property that didn't feature any f****** superheroes!

I would think that 'active" would mean that it has a tv show that is currently running or a movie that's about to come out. Basic examples:

Active:

Mortal Kombat (new game coming out soon)

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (still on tv)

Adventure Time (tv show, probably video games too)

Not active:

Firefly (cancelled tv show)

The Office

Robocop

An active TV license? Im saying Gotham. Its has the draw of batman, even though batman isnt in it. If it IS Gotham, then I can see this segwaying into more DCTV mates. As for the SDCC 2 pack? Gordon and Bullock or Alfred and Bruce.

If it were Gotham mates, it would be just our luck to finally get a new DC property that didn't feature any f****** superheroes!

Yeah.

animal.gif

Yeah.

animal.gif

BUT,like I said,if getting Gotham mates meant that we COULD get Flash/Arrow mates,then Im all for it.

*If* they were going to give us DC TV show mates, I doubt they would start with Gotham - it would just be a bunch of very bland looking civilians from a show that hasn't been around long enough to have real legs. It would more than likely be Arrow or perhaps Flash, since those shows are on fire right now and have many costumed characters that would be very visually appealing.

Normal people in suits are boring "action" figures.