UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" Minimates

MisterPL

I guess we can look at it this way, when Apocalypse comes out, there will certainly be a wave of 'mates to go along with that film, possibly even with a Toys "R" Us wave as well, we'll get another bite at the apple for several of these characters that we missed this time at least.

That what I said about this assortment. Unfortunately TRU didn't want to play and what could have been anchors in each series ended being put into the specialty assortment.

I just saw the movie last night and while I understand why DST came to the conclusion it did with these characters, I'll never understand the reluctance to revisit an event as popular as this at least once, especially in the specialty market. So many missed opportunities.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because we have no idea what response will be like to a film six months prior, and we don't want to extend our license and restart development now just to put out more product (with all of the main characters exhausted) even farther away from release. Also, more movie product means less comic product, it's a logistical necessity for a variety of reasons. Can't imagine comic fans would be happy about that.

Because we have no idea what response will be like to a film six months prior, and we don't want to extend our license and restart development now just to put out more product (with all of the main characters exhausted) even farther away from release.

The specialty market is no where near driven by movie releases as the mass market. That's how you get away with offering properties like Aliens, Back to the Future, and Ghostbusters much farther away from release dates. DOFP Minimates aren't hitting retail until late September so I'm pretty sure DST is counting on that.

But let me ask this hypothetical question by sending Future DSTZach back in time to 2013: With 20/20 hindsight, do you believe Past DSTZach could have put together another offering for this movie and if so how? A convention 4-pack? A second specialty series? Because I can't help feeling that putting two versions of three main characters into one series, while safe, ended up killing any chances this line had for an extended life.

This line never had any chance for extended life. Traditionally movies get one LCS wave and one from TRU if they're on board. TRU wasn't on board here, understandably given the poor sell-through of First Class. I don't think putting the main characters in their main looks is or will be responsible for just getting one wave.

I for one am glad we have future and past versions of the big 3.

It's a shame that it limits opportunities for other characters, but I'm still really happy with the line up.

Saying that, would still swap Storm for a Sentinal, Quicksilver, Iceman or Bishop... although would take Storm over Rogue every day.

Having seen the film now, i can understand why Fox requested that Rogue was dropped. Her cameo is just that. I can't wait to get the DVD edition and see what her cut scenes were.

Still - what i wouldn't give for Sunspot, Iceman, Blink, Bishop, Trask and some Sentinels. :P

Saying that Ghostbusters, BTTF and Aliens Minimates exist because specialty retailers don't care about release dates is looking for a comparison where there is not one. Those brands are established evergreens, and none have had any kind of release date in nearly a decade, unless you count Prometheus, which you probably shouldn't. And they're all multi-movie deals.

Sure, maybe we could have said, "You know what, the older X-movies are still enjoyed by many, so let's treat this as if it were a blanket X-Men movie license and put out a couple of assortments," but until this weekend's box office success, we had no idea how this movie would do. It's not like the last three X-films set records -- the last blockbuster (Last Stand) was also one of the most criticized. And there are other licensing concerns that make a more drawn-out license problematic.

So yeah, the line-up is what it is because we DIDN'T have TRU, and we DIDN'T have any plans for a second series, and we PLANNED to have our one series out around the time of the movie. If I could go back in time TODAY, I'd tell past me a lot of things, but I don't know if "make more Minimates" would have been one of them.

Edited by DSTZach

But...if you go back in time, you could have disastrous effects on the future...like we get more Minimates. But probably what would happen is that you somehow create the darkest timeline in which we all collect Shocktinis.

X-Men Minimates: Age of Shockinis? That does sound dark....

But...if you go back in time, you could have disastrous effects on the future...like we get more Minimates. But probably what would happen is that you somehow create the darkest timeline in which we all collect Shocktinis.

Truly the stuff of nightmares.

CIj3q00.gif

gO9FJl6.gif

It's not like the last three X-films set records -- the last blockbuster (Last Stand) was also one of the most criticized.

Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace. Huge box office. Terrible reviews. Very successful toy line.

I'm not suggesting that huge box office or great reviews imply consumer demand. Consumer demand indicates consumer demand. I noted consumer demand back when the first trailer hit. Despite any cynicism leveled at the production, toy consumers were very interested in movie versions of these comic book characters.

So I'm going to send my Kitty Pryde Minimate to you so she can send you back to October 2013 to correct this heinous mistake in the space/time continuum. (Once I figure out how Kitty gained the ability to do so.)

(Once I figure out how Kitty gained the ability to do so.)

The power is called "Budgetary Constraints" and it manifests itself during the writing process, it's the same reason Jackman Wolverine developed the power to appear in 7 different X-Men related movies but has never been shown actually taking out a Sentinel!

(Seriously, for all the shit X3 gets, at least they hinted at Wolvie taking out a Sentinel, even if it was just in the Danger Room! Ratner FTW!) tongue.png

(Seriously, for all the shit X3 gets, at least they hinted at Wolvie taking out a Sentinel, even if it was just in the Danger Room! Ratner FTW!) tongue.png

I'm sorry. I enjoyed X3. Fans wanted more characters and action and Ratner delivered. I recall people being offended that Juggernaut called Kitty a bitch but I've yet to see any complaints about the language used in subsequent X-films, including the last two that dropped F-bombs.

I see the point you're trying to make MisterPL, but I don't think we should compare any X-Men film with Star Wars in terms of profitability. The prequels may all be atrocious, but the brand is still far more successful.

I've been collecting fun toys from shitty Star Wars movies since 1983. I'm sure there are toy collectors who feel the same way about the X-Men franchise. And when you're practically the master toy licensee on the property, you make the most of it. I hope demand for X-Men movie product at least encourages DST to try something more next time.

I'm sorry. I enjoyed X3. Fans wanted more characters and action and Ratner delivered. I recall people being offended that Juggernaut called Kitty a bitch but I've yet to see any complaints about the language used in subsequent X-films, including the last two that dropped F-bombs.

People were offended? I thought that was hilarious. But then again I think it's because I have seen The Juggernaut Bitch.

See there were some things X3 did really well. Like the way they handled Xavier's death. Really cool. Or the Cure plot was kinda nifty. But Cure and Phoenix kinda needed two different movies as one of them was gonna get shafted and, in this case, it was Phoenix. Also Storm was made into team leader and, while the comic precedent is there, Halle Berry's performance did not lend itself to team leader. But I blame Superman Returns for that since otherwise we'd have gotten an epic Scott Steps Up movie. But to me, I think the biggest problem is that the escalation was there, but it was escalating things we'd seen before. Oh look, Magneto's pissed off... again... and now he has this ultimate Human Killing Weapon... again... HEY HE'S F**KING UP A LANDMARK... again... yeah it was basically X-Men 1 with like twice as many mutants. Imagine if the Cure was, instead of Leech and an injection, the Sentinels. They announce that there's a cure for mutants and instead of getting rid of powers it was euthanasia and the Sentinels were being set to hunt down any remainders. Personally I think that would've made a better X-3. But still... had enough issues to keep me from really enjoying it as an X-Men finale, but now that I know Days of Future Past's ending I think I should rewatch X-3 not as a finale, but as a simple X-Men vs Magneto story and I think I'd like it better. Because looking back that was my biggest problem with it. They ended the X-Men with that, and I just didn't like that ending.

Can't be a Liefeld cap because that toy has feet.

Oh look, Magneto's pissed off... again... and now he has this ultimate Human Killing Weapon... again... HEY HE'S F**KING UP A LANDMARK... again... yeah it was basically X-Men 1 with like twice as many mutants.

You just described Days of Future Past, too. ;)

I'm sorry. I enjoyed X3.

Apology noted, but not accepted. This is pretty inexcusable.

For such a hated film, so is its box office take. It's still at the top of the franchise, even in adjusted dollars.