UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Avengers 2 Age of Ultron (2015)

MINI_MYTE

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I did some "research" on it, and as for the Thor thing....

I don't think that's Blackheart. He's wearing a bird mask, complete with a giant beak, which has feathers on the back. If anything, he's Khonshu since he looks exactly liks his 2006 look. The other two guys had cloaks and some kind of faceplates, so I'm positive they're not Satannish or anyone like that. There's another scene with three other guys, all of whom are wearing some Satyr-like masks. If I'm being honest, I think that they're just creepy extras to make the scene extra-creepy and not something from the comics.

I have a theory about Avengers Infinity War and I'd like to get your opinions on the matter.

There has been some talk in the last couple of weeks about Thanos NOT being the only villain to appear in Infinity War parts 1 & 2. Click here for a sample article.

Here is my theory... (I'm wrapping my theory in spoiler tags for those of you who have not seen Age of Ultron yet.)

I believe that Thanos will team up with every MCU villain that met their demise at the hands of an Infinity Gem. Think about it, every villain who messed around with one was obliterated (or maybe absorbed) by their respective gem. Red Skull was dissipated by the Tesseract, Ronan obliterated by the Power gem, Malekith was imploded by Jane Foster's mechanical do-dad (but he had the Aether within his body, so it could in theory have absorbed him) and Ultron was dispatched in a flash of light from the Mind gem (we never really saw what happened). So if Thanos is looking for some heavy hitters to team up with, who better than those villains? It remains to be seen which villains come into contact with the Time and Soul gems, but if they "die" in a similar fashion, I will lay good odds Thanos will use them as a villanous version of the Avengers.

What do you guys think?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Saw it. Loved it. And I believe one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much is because I avoided trailers, TV spots, and featurettes.

After catching it last night, we came home and watched trailers 2 & 3 and the featurettes that were available on Hulu. I'm so glad I got to see Vision come to life for the first time on the big screen. Same with many of the action scenes and gags. Had I soaked up as much of this movie as the studio wanted me to, I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much.

My advice is to do yourself a favor; if you're planning on seeing film anyway (like I am with Civil War, et al) then stay away from this "marketing" overkill.

I liked the movie a lot, though I don't think it's going to take the top spot on my list of MCU movies. I have a few small issues, but the main one is the action is the least clear of any of the MCU movies. A lot of the impact of the climactic battle is lost because you don't get much of a chance to appreciate what's going on.

Another thought on the movie: While it doesn't bother me, I'd love to hear Whedon's explanation for why Cap can't lift Mjolnir, besides plot reasons. While the later scene works beautifully, I can't quite figure out a logical explanation for who can lift the hammer and who can't.

that scene was great. i wish there was more MCU world building in the movie though. seemed short and just one big fight scene.

While Im always up for more world building I think that this film had plenty:

(Massive Spoilers below)

What with introducing 3 new Heroes, the idea of "enhanced", the current state of Hydra and their use of Chitauri tech, the state of other countries in a post-avengers world, the inclusion of Wakanda and Vibranium, the introduction of Klaw, Thor explaining the Infinity stones to the Avengers, his visions of Hel and look into the future of Ragnarok, Ironman's glimpse into Thanos's triumph, the introduction of a second Infinity Gauntlet, tons of new technology such as Helen Cho's life-cradle (by the way i'd bet good money shes related to Amadeus). Another character being worthy of Mjolnir, Nick Furys current standing in the world and lastly but definitely not least, an entirely new line up of "New Avengers"

Saw the movie again and caught an Easter egg no one has mentioned yet.

When Tony picks up the his new A.I, Friday, from a collection of memory cards the one directly under that one is labeled Jocasta.

That would be cool, and I would love to see RS on screen again....maybe Christoph Waltz?

Yeah, agreed on all three points!

that scene was great. i wish there was more MCU world building in the movie though. seemed short and just one big fight scene.

While Im always up for more world building I think that this film had plenty:

(Massive Spoilers below)

What with introducing 3 new Heroes, the idea of "enhanced", the current state of Hydra and their use of Chitauri tech, the state of other countries in a post-avengers world, the inclusion of Wakanda and Vibranium, the introduction of Klaw, Thor explaining the Infinity stones to the Avengers, his visions of Hel and look into the future of Ragnarok, Ironman's glimpse into Thanos's triumph, the introduction of a second Infinity Gauntlet, tons of new technology such as Helen Cho's life-cradle (by the way i'd bet good money shes related to Amadeus). Another character being worthy of Mjolnir, Nick Furys current standing in the world and lastly but definitely not least, an entirely new line up of "New Avengers"

I saw the movie last night, and enjoyed the heck out of it. Really, really well done in many ways. Probably the closest a film has come to an old school comic book fan's wet dream IMO. HOWEVER, I had one major criticism coming out of the movie, and it jibes with what Rocco says. Yes, there was a lot of plot development, but the movie seemed like just fight after fight after fight. Which again, as a comic story, is great. But as a film, it holds the story back a bit. Despite the scene at Hawkeye's house, the film didn't give the audience much of a chance to catch their breath, and really lacked the kind of pacing that you need to make a film really excel. It was overloaded with stuff. Probably the best approach to appeal to teenage boys, but I think a film like Days of Future Past, or Batman Begins demonstrates a better understanding of how to make a film really reach its full potential.

Regarding the hammer,

I thought it was very cool how Vision could pick it up. Not sure if the gem or his noble personality were responsible for it though, or simply the fact that he's not fully human. They were talking about the hammer going up an elevator, and I think that could apply here. The hammer is sitting on a plain old table and no one can movie except Cap (a little). Even Hulk couldn't pick it up. But it doesn't crush the table. So if the spell doesn't apply to robots and androids, that could be the simple explanation.

Edited by karamazov80

My unsolicited rewrite:

1) Strucker escapes the first battle. Having him captured was pointless and killing him off moreso.

2) The twins are his captives, not his operatives. Nothing about the stinger from Cap OR AoS should make us think they're allied with him, and it seems like too villainous of a position for two characters who seem intrinsically good. Starting them out SO far gone makes their turn a bit hard to swallow. The team saves them and brings them back - unconscious - along with the scepter.

3) They, instead, just hate Stark. Add that to Steve ultimately mistrusting him and you can play into his complex and the schism a bit better. This eliminates the almost pointless visions everyone has. Tony's is the most practical. Instead, give a villain some line about "You heroes are never willing to go far enough. That is why you will lose in the end."

4) Have Thor peace out after the Hammer test to "attend to matters on Asgard." Oh, and no turtleneck. Movie Thor has no alter ego - why would he own civvies?

5) Have the first appearance of Ultron NOT be a battle, but the equivalent of a scared child waking up in the night, looking for father. When the team sees what Tony has made, they can still be outraged. But Tony gets the chance to be protective of his "son."

6) Leave J.A.R.V.I.S. intact at this point, and have Tony turn Ultron over to its care. This can be a seed of jealousy within Ultron, as Tony clearly loves his "eldest son" more.

7) Show Thor at some point in an interlude, embarking on a vision quest (HA!) on Asgard.

8) Ultron overhears talk amongst the Avengers of shutting him down. He becomes riled... spurned. He shuts down J.A.R.V.I.S. One sub-drone grabs the staff. Another notices Wanda, and takes her. Pietro insists on joining the Avengers as they try to rescue her.

9) When Ultron goes after Klaw, make it a three way battle between Ultron and grey Hulk (triggered by exposure to vibranium, maybe?)/The Avengers/Klaw and Yelena Belova. Use Belova's attack to trigger Widow's flashback to her training and the red room.

10) The Hulk/Iron Man fight should stand, as is. Except focus a bit more on Stark feeling responsible both for Ultron triggering it and Iron Man not being able to stop it sooner.

11) The team regroups at Clint's home that they knew nothing about. Something seems off, but no one is sure exactly what. We do NOT meet his family.

12) Ultron uses the cradle to build a new body and gives it the mind gem. Have him talk about evolution, but hint at a desire to be with Wanda. The body emerges. Ultron calls it his Vision and, as the Avengers attack, the two fight together against them. BUT... Vision is clearly conflicted.

13) Ultron and Vision escape. The Avengers save Wanda, but they got Clint.

14) As Cap's faction rails against Stark back home and Banner watches Nat fret over Clint, we see Thor's revelation on Asgard. Before departing, Tony gives the twins a speech about how it's easy to point fingers, but it's hard to be heroes.

15) The team tracks down Ultron with the twins alongside. Thor joins the fight and warns them of the power Vision holds.

16) Banner is there when Nat saves Clint, and says something about "Your wife would never forgive me if I let anything happen to you." Banner, shocked, says "You have a wife?" He seems relieved, Nat busts his balls about being jealous/green with envy and then the "I like YOU... but I need HIM" moment

17) The team fights against Ultron, his drones, and Vision. This makes the battle FAR less one-sided. In the meantime, Falcon leads the relief effort.

18) Ultron Prime and Tony fight. Ultron discusses boundaries/weakness/humanity/and evolution. Tony talks about virtue. Heroism. Being your own man. Owning up to your mistakes. And fighting for something bigger than yourself. Of course, this is overlaid with Thor being beaten by a seemingly reluctant Vision, whose gem is glowing, and the Hawkeye rescue/Quicksilver scene.

19) Everything ties together: Quicksilver dies, being a hero, rising above his petty vengeance or even his fraternal love. This triggers the mind gem, and a massive flash causes Vision to see a flood of everyone's feelings/memories, lingering lastly on the twins' love and the Avengers camaraderie. When...

20) ... a weakened Thor is knocked down by the incapacitated husk of Iron Man. Ultron descends towards Vision who is hovering motionless and has been. Ultron asks something to the effect of "Is something wrong?" and Vision replies wih a line to the effect of "Yes. You are." Here, he picks up the hammer in a TOTAL oh shit callback to the party moment and begins to beat the ever loving snot out of Ultron. He delivers some soliloquy about embracing humanity rather than eradicating it and eventually we see a second yellow flash. Every drone drops. Then, so does the city.

21) The city is destroyed as in the movie, with help from Vision (which gives us all the more reason it couldn't be done sooner). Hulk flies off, as in the movie. Nat and Clint contact his wife, who's back home. Tony gives us some exposition that the remnants of Jarvis seemed to have coopted Ultron's programming of Vision, and that coupled with the gem causing him to connect with everyone else, apparently re-wired him. Thor comments on his apparent worthiness, leading the boys to wax philosophical about elevators.

22) Tony has all the more motivation to leave, as he feels responsible for Quicksilver's involvement and death at the hands of his "son." Play that up.

23) Show Vision glance towards Wanda... is it remnants of Quicksilver's brotherly love, or Ultron's desire?

End results?

More motivation for Ultron's villainy and Stark's self-doubt/retirement

More of a focus on the classic Ultron daddy issues

More payoff to Quicksilver's death

More point to Vision being in the movie at all

A more believable character arc for the twins

The ability to revisit Strucker down the line

An overall better use of the time given and the characters present

Also, re: Cap moving it...

Everyone's saying he could only budge it. I thought for sure he stopped himself, not wanting 1) to upstage Thor or 2) be king of Asgard. I thought everything past that was him just playing along.

I like that, Mnemosis.

save for Quicksilver. There is no way to save that hack nonsense.

As for my rewrite, I would just remove a lot of Ultron's terrible jokes and make him more menacing. He is supposed to be one of the Avenger's greatest foes, yet he was jobbed in every appearance.

Write it so Quicksilver was injured saving Clint and the kid, but still alive due to his accelerated metabolism or whatever. Wanda still gets angry and takes her vengeance because she felt it too.

Post credits stinger: Get rid of the THanos one, its so pointless. INstead, I would have had the stinger be Tony Stark visiting some random boardroom, and having a discussing with an older male about the faults and issues with Ultron. They discuss the results, how the Vision came about, and if it could be salvaged. The old man reveals his regret for ever giving Tony the idea, and chides him for not consulting him more. Camera reveals the older man is Hank Pym, end scene.

You get a nice set up for Ant Man, you get continuity in a round about way, and it also introduces that Ultron didn't just come from no where.

Saw it, like it a lot, except for Spadertron. I'm a big fan of Ultron and I was very disappointed in him. Mainly because he's just James Spader. He speaks and acts like James Spader's smartass,funny characters on TV.

He wasn't intimidating, formidable, or very clear about why he wanted to wipeout humanity, even with the badass final form (we better get a minimate of that, Hot Toys version too biggrin.png)