UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Wave 18

Zak Katz

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain why the Ultron Drone (and Ultron from the boxset) has a clear head underneath the slip-on mask? Does it have something to do with the story, or is it just a cool extra?

I'm pretty sure it's just value-adding awesomeness. I don't remember ever seeing the holo-head in the comics.

Out of all the action figure toy lines at TRU, the only ones I really see new items stocked with each new release and continuously sold thru are either TMNT or minimates. Maybe the constant minimate sellouts are making the pegs get cold and TRU wants to warm them up with whatever latest wave one 5POA excrement Hasbro shoves down their throat, doomed to live there for at least a year on the same pegs.

As just an ordinary TRU employee, i wouldn't put much thought into the shared item numbers. Minimate waves have shared them a few times before, and NECA Predators still share them (with no end in sight); I think Series 10 was the only one with a specific different number. Now i have no official means of backing that up, but it's not something i'd worry about, regardless.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Regarding the current fears over the future of Minimates at TRU, I'm not going to read into anything that Toys R Us does or doesn't do, as I've stopped trying to apply common sense logic to their business decisions. Case in point, apparently Waves 17 and 18 now have clearance prices, but Wave 13 (released in 2012) is still full price. They recently decided to cross promote the Minimate brand by placing them all in a single location in the Collector Toy aisle, but then when Wave 17 hit my store, it's home was with the rest of the Marvel toys in the Spider-Man/Iron Man aisle.

Toys R Us' only consistency is inconsistency. Despite the obvious reduction of lines that are appearing at TRU, I'm pretty confident that Minimates will continue at TRU, as will our difficulties of obtaining them with duplicate item numbers and an unreliable web site. After 18 waves and numerous waves of movie tie-ins, the powers-that-be know they can sell these things, the question is why is the current buyer shying away from the movie-related themes? That, I'm afraid, is an answer not even Zach or Chuck would be able to provide. My guess is TRU has reduced the overall footprint of the Collector Toy aisle. What used to be an entire aisle dedicated to NECA, Halo, McFarlane, Minimates, etc is now an aisle at my TRU shared with Wrestling figures. The "Collector Toys" now make up only about 30% of that aisle.

We'll see what is announced at ToyFair, but I'm remaining optimistic that Minimates still have a home at TRU.

Like I've said before, even if there IS a reduction in Marvel Minimates at TRU for THIS YEAR, that does not mean they have stopped buying Marvel Minimates, or other Minimates, and that we will never sell Minimates to TRU again. We have a relationship with them, there are plenty of non-Marvel lines headed to TRU, and everythign could change at NY Toy Fair 2014, then again at NY Toy Fair 2015.

They were clearanced at my store, which hasn't had some of the deep discounts I've seen others report. I think there's a good chance this is everywhere which is nice for us in the short run but worrisome for the long run.

Edited by stack32

Damn. I was just there yesterday. Let us all just hope that this is merely a purge of older things.

I've padlocked my door glare.gif

Rob, are you looking for the set with the Phoenix Killer IM? If so, my TRU had quite a few of those left. PM me if you want me to grab you some.

PM gonna be sent biggrin.png Loving that ol' black sun thumbsup.gif