UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Wave 18

Zak Katz

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry you feel in the dark, BHM. I'm trying to tell you everything I know, no mushroom food, but I realize a sample case is worth a thousand words.

Besides 18, the sets being cleared out have all been around for a while. I have to imagine they're simply making room for the new Minimates they've ordered. Not positive of the full range, but I believe they'll have ASM2, GotG and a fan poll set, plus some non-Marvel stuff like Walking Dead. That could change at Toy Fair, but it could change for the better as well as the worse. Were showing a LOT of new Minimates.

Glad everyone is getting one of my favorite assortments for rock bottom prices.

I would gladly pay full retail for these. I don't really think it's wise of TRU to not be more clear with their sale, I guess it's good for members to get a good deal but 'mates are already probably the best value on the market these days. I'd rather see TRU take one on the chin for the All-New X-Men fiasco, not for a wave this solid.

I think everybody needs to take a step back here. I don't think TRU is ending Minimates, Marvel or otherwise; they are merely in the midst of a post-holiday clearout, and we are the beneficiaries. I for, example, just got back from TRU with I don't even know how many sets; I know my total cost (after the 30% off coupon) was $72. But I bought a ridiculous amount of Minimates! Basically every set I didn't have that I might possibly want. This is awesome! banana.gif

You teases! You horrible, horrible teases!

All the doom and gloom lately... I don't get it. The tide ebbs, the tide flows. The ocean remains. Worst case scenario, TRU quits carrying a strong product line and gets a lot less of my mullah, but I get to quit worrying about the hassle of finding TRU exclusives while still getting minimate through specialty. Best case, wave 19 is better than 18 (not sure if that's even a possibility). But I just don't really see how a sale in January is indicative of anything.

Oh hai.

83514933-5C14-486F-8675-1555DCEDC044_zps

257CA904-1B3E-4663-B998-B57979EDEA70_zps

Sucks to live in Asia right now. pinch.gif

You teases! You horrible, horrible teases!

All the doom and gloom lately... I don't get it. The tide ebbs, the tide flows. The ocean remains. Worst case scenario, TRU quits carrying a strong product line and gets a lot less of my mullah, but I get to quit worrying about the hassle of finding TRU exclusives while still getting minimate through specialty. Best case, wave 19 is better than 18 (not sure if that's even a possibility). But I just don't really see how a sale in January is indicative of anything.

You don't see why a massive, across-the-board clearance by TRU, whose usual idea of clearance is a $0.50 price reduction, is a cause for concern? Everything might turn out fine, but if TRU were going to get out of the minimate business this is what the first step would look like. And based on Zach's comments, TRU isn't actually 100% committed to anything in the future. The doom and gloom might end up being wrong, but it's certainly reasonable.

I think it's more a case of TRU having to get choosy since there are so many waves of 'mates on shelves right now, with new ones coming all the time.

I suspect Marvel is safe, it seems to do very well overall, I think if anything the Marvel movie waves might see a reduction. They seem to linger a lot longer.

Universal mates for a time were less than $2 a pack. Didn't stop wave 3 from coming out. XMFC has been at this price for ages. Didn't stop later Marvel, X-Men, or movie waves from happening. So, no, I don't see a post-holiday clearance as a sure sign that minimates at TRU are dead. I see it as a sign that whenever I find wave 18, there's a good chance I can get it on the cheap. I have no idea what's going on with tru, and I'm not going to pretend to. Either minimates will continue there or they won't. I'm not going to speculate.

WWE figures go on regular sales of Buy One Get One sales of 50%-60% off. Sometimes BOGO Free. And yet those are consistently restocked here, sometimes with an even bigger WWE section. It's just to make room for newer shipments for us usually.

Remember, wave 18 probably wouldn't even BE on clearance if it didn't share the item number with 17.

So no, between the shared item number, and the after-holiday clearance, neither would be a significant cause of concern.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Here's the rub with a huge clearance blast in January - it is the end of the company's fiscal year. They'd rather sell these cheap, now, and lose SOME profit than have them go nowhere and two months from now make NO profit. I'm not saying there's no possible way this is the end for Minimates at Toys r Us. I've worked hereotoo long to think I can predict what this company will do. I'm just saying there's a perfectly reasonable non-Apocalyptic explanation to consider.

Do the SKU numbers help - if you call a TRU w/ the SKU numbers, will they tell you if they have them in stock?

I have not yet found Wave 18 in two of my usual TRUs in NJ (Watchung and Lawrenceville).

I finally bought an Omega Red set and an IM3 set w/ Tony Stark each for $2.79 w/ the 30% coupon at the Lawrenceville store on Friday.

Edited by Molybdenum Man

Do the SKU numbers help - if you call a TRU w/ the SKU numbers, will they tell you if they have them in stock?

I have not yet found Wave 18 in two of my usual TRUs in NJ (Watchung and Lawrenceville).

I finally bought an Omega Red set and an IM3 set w/ Tony Stark each for $2.79 w/ the 30% coupon at the Lawrenceville store on Friday.

Normally? Yes, the SKU or "R US Web #" can very easily be checked.

In this case? No, they share a number with Wave 17.