UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Sdcc 2013 Exclusives Speculation Thread

Zach,

Is black cheaper than clear? The only other black stands I remember are the ones that came with Stilt Man and Professor X; and those would only work for 4-5 inch Minimates! ;)

Hopefully the stands will be around at C2E2 next year as that would be the only con I can realistically attend.

I am not sure now why we did black and not clear. But we are going to have them at every show going toward, as far as I know.

Phonics-Killer Iron Deadpool we made up. One of those original concepts that people were so wary of.

Edited by DSTZach

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the stands, will they be hard plastic like the kind that comes with WD mates, or the soft rubbery kind that comes with Marvel?

Phonics-Killer DP is okay as an original concept since there's an alt-build underneath, so it's more like bonus parts to me. I hope the final versions in that set have the same shade of red as the pics, because it looks really nice.

Well I'll say this--a Wolvie 4 pack, Deadpool 4 pack, and Iron Man 10 pack are surely about as far removed from 2 Alpha Flight sets as you can get laugh.png

The only set I think I'll personally get from SDCC this year is Thundercats for that Mumm-Ra, but if these don't bring in the bucks I don't know what will. The actual boxed Iron Man set looks pretty sweet with them all lined up that way.

I have to say I'm a little surprised to see that we aren't getting any 'new' Marvel characters released at the con, but I think everything is very solid. I will say that seeing the IM3 set for $55 made me go into 'old man' mode...

'I remember back in my day when TRU put out a ten pack of Minimates for $20. And it had a new character in it.'

I suppose my biggest hope is that the 10 pack works at that price and that more will follow. Could you image how well received something like a Jim Lee X-Men set would do if it had some of the harder to find characters like Gambit and Psylocke in it? Throw in a few unreleased characters like Forge or Banshee and I'd have no boubts of it selling well.

For what it's worth, I imagine everyone looking like their profile picture. Dinobot is a manga Black Cat, Nessex is Mister Sinister, etc.

And you're a cat. I do this too, which is why I hate it when you guys change your icons. Blows my whole perception of y'all.

Yeah, looks like I'll only be getting the Thundercats set, and even that one is not something I'm dying for. Oh well, not every set will be for everyone.

Yeah, I can't stand it when bums change their avatar.

Could you image how well received something like a Jim Lee X-Men set would do if it had some of the harder to find characters like Gambit and Psylocke in it? Throw in a few unreleased characters like Forge or Banshee and I'd have no boubts of it selling well.

Yuck.

Now a Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne 10 pack. . .I would eat that up with a spoon.

Yeah, I can't stand it when bums change their avatar.

Could you image how well received something like a Jim Lee X-Men set would do if it had some of the harder to find characters like Gambit and Psylocke in it? Throw in a few unreleased characters like Forge or Banshee and I'd have no boubts of it selling well.

Yuck.

Now a Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne 10 pack. . .I would eat that up with a spoon.

I'd happily take both. Also a 90's X-Factor 10-pack featuring Val Cooper, Havok, Polaris, Wolfsbane, Guido, Quicksilver, Multiple Man, Multiple Man, Multiple Man, and Multiple Man.

I'm looking forward to the first group of SDCC exclusives that were announced, but the Deadpool, IM, and Thundercats sets aren't really doing it for me. I'm just not that into Deadpool, definitely not so much that I need as many or more versions of him than Thor or Cyclops. The Thundercats set looks cool and all, but other than the first set, I haven't been collecting that line.

Phonics-Killer Iron Deadpool we made up. One of those original concepts that people were so wary of.

Wary is a good way to describe it, especially since moments after the set was revealed, people started pointing out a comic-specific appearance of Deadpool (Marvel Girl gear) that would have fit better in the spot that was used for a "made-up" version, and also could have paved the way for a long-requested version of Jean that hasn't been made yet.

I get that not every set can have new tooling (SDCC Walking Dead, Deadpool) and that the sets with no new tooling will cost less to produce than a set with lots of new tooling, I get that and understand it from a sales perspective. At the same time, those same reasons are why people are wary of 'made-up' designs, that they will start replacing logical choices simply because it costs less to produce them.

Not to join the naysayers about the Deadpool set (but to totally naysay Marvelgirlpool, lol), I would've loved to have seen "Wildcard" in that set instead of Phonics-Killer:

1239146-dp_23_022_super.jpg

It could've been cobbled together with various existing parts, and been comic-faithful (and when I read that issue, I thought, "Man, that would be a cool Minimate").

Still buying it, though. confused2.gif

Zach-

As someone who has been ordering LEGO bricks for years to use as stands I love the "bag-o-stands" idea! Just one request, could you use a little bit of your influence to put the idea of bags of clear stands into the mix as well? I will be sure to do it at Ask DST as well. I use white shelves & display tiers and the black stands will be really distracting. With clear being the pack in standard I would like to keep that trend on my shelves.

Thanks & I'll be sure to bug you about it at SDCC! ;)

Dr Baghead, there's a box pic on the page. It's one long box of all 10 lined up.

thanks, I was looking at it on my phone which wasn’t showing me the extra picture...

that’s disappointing it doesn’t even show off the armors well.... I think I’ll pass

I kinda expected the exclusive line-up to be like this, this year. the last few waves we've seen announced (both tru and specialty) have been jam packed with very cool fan service, and we were bound to get some sets that would appeal to the mass public (like a set with multiple Iron-men, deadpools or wolverines) and if those all end up being the sdcc exclusives, I can deal, since 1. they will be widely seen by the public which is great for DST, and 2. I they wont take up the slots of other minimates that will be getting made in waves and such.

I still think these look stellar, and im surprised by how much I want that deadpool four pack, since the deadpool-corps set didnt grab me the same way.

I think Phonics Killer Deadpol is brilliant, if not for just the name alone. The only reason I'd have wanted a Marvel Girl DP is that it would probably have set up a regular Marvel Girl (which is way overdue IMO).

I'd have probably bought this set just to make a Marvel Girl.

Not to join the naysayers about the Deadpool set (but to totally naysay Marvelgirlpool, lol), I would've loved to have seen "Wildcard" in that set instead of Phonics-Killer:

It could've been cobbled together with various existing parts,

How?

Wary is a good way to describe it, especially since moments after the set was revealed, people started pointing out a comic-specific appearance of Deadpool (Marvel Girl gear) that would have fit better in the spot that was used for a "made-up" version, and also could have paved the way for a long-requested version of Jean that hasn't been made yet.

I get that not every set can have new tooling (SDCC Walking Dead, Deadpool) and that the sets with no new tooling will cost less to produce than a set with lots of new tooling, I get that and understand it from a sales perspective. At the same time, those same reasons are why people are wary of 'made-up' designs, that they will start replacing logical choices simply because it costs less to produce them.

I don't know if that look was ever legitimately considered, but I'm pretty sure we went with Iron Man because it would sell better, not because it cost less to make.

The sight of Deadpool dressed as Marvel Girl made me want to throw up. Literally. I get people wanting comic-accurate stuff, but that would have made this entire set unpalatable to a wide variety of buyers, including children. ...Kids like Deapool, right?

Also, with two X-types in it, we'd get farther away from the Avengers theme we were going for. (Well, I was going for, with the name.)

And I don't know unit costs vs. tooling costs, but tooling a new mask for Jean Greypool -- which would likely not be reusable for Jean Grey, without the hair -- might not be as expensive as the plastic we put into 3,000 Phonics Killer armors. I could be wrong.

Also, I don;t know if that Deadpool would have made us say "Let's make that old-school Jean Grey figure!" I imagine the MArvel Now Jean Grey would trump that look in a heartbeat.

Oh, and sorry, everybody, I was wrong -- we ARE making a bag of 24 clear stands. Hard plastic, like Walking Dead. Now I'm wondering if I made up the black ones -- it may just be clear. Will confirm today.

I was sort of worried about the made up figure but seeing it in this context is pretty funny and actually works for me. I mean, nothing says ridiculous more than Deadpool, right? So that was a big plus. And the fact that the Phonics Killer is the figure with the alternate display option is a good thing.

Now the buy 10 to get 2 IM set? That just reeks of Hasbro/Mattel tactics. It would have been nice if it was an 8 pack of the armors for those that don't have them and a 2 pack of Tony & Pepper for those that don't want to be stuck with two full box sets of straight repacks/slight repaints.

There were no tactics. The idea that ANYONE might feel pressured to buy a similar Tony figure to one they already have and a character we've made twice before never crossed our minds. It was all about what would make the coolest box set, and an 8-pack was not considered, that I know of. Once you have Tony in there, Pepper was the logical choice. We'd only read the script at that point, so I don't think we even fully realized how big a role she would have in the film. We may have said, "hey, here's a place to put Pepper, since we left her out of the main assortment, awesome" but that was it. If it had been Happy, and we didn't make Pepper at all, would that have been better? Not sure who else we could have done.

If you're an in-package collector, you're probably gonna want to get the set. If you're just a character completist, you may not want to get the set. But if you collect every single Marvel movie Minimate, including all the variations of everybody, and take them out of the package, then yeah, you might need to buy some figures you don't want. But this was not done to gouge that subset of collector.

But I believe someone pointed out the battle-damaged Mark 3 is new, and all of the armors have blank heads underneath, if that helps. So there are 3-10 new figures here, depending.

I get people wanting comic-accurate stuff, but that would have made this entire set unpalatable to a wide variety of buyers, including children. ...Kids like Deapool, right?

What about the severed zombie head from last year? Are kids de-sensitized to mutilated undead killers with rotting flesh, but still not comfortable with cross-dressers? I'm out of touch with the kids these days, but it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe that whole, US is OK with blood lust but not any weird sex/gender stuff thing while Europeans are the opposite thing?

Also, I don;t know if that Deadpool would have made us say "Let's make that old-school Jean Grey figure!" I imagine the MArvel Now Jean Grey would trump that look in a heartbeat.

Not surprising, but extremely disappointing to hear. Edited by karamazov80

Some of the details like the triangular chest, shoulder armor, and knee pads would be different, but I supposed they could pull a "Marvel Knights" Daredevil and just paint over the sculpted areas that they wanted to look different.