UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Best Minimates of 2012 - Award show now on p.6

Just a reminder that this week is the final week to get your votes in. After this past weekend's tabulation, there are several ties in a couple categories. Let's try to break those up a bit.

vote-today1.jpg
Edited by MINI_MYTE

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... how spoiled we have become that Boom Boom would be suggested for worst Minimate of 2012. She provided a NEW character release, rounded and completed out a female member for teams, she has accessories and new sculpting.

You want bad for 2012? Look at the Sewer Battle Amazing Spiderman, Amazing Spiderman Aunt May or Original Ryu (Sentinel vs Ryu)

Edited by highassroller

Wow... how spoiled we have become that Boom Boom would be suggested for worst Minimate of 2012. She provided a NEW character release, rounded and completed out a female member for teams, she has accessories and new sculpting.

You want bad for 2012? Look at the Sewer Battle Amazing Spiderman, Amazing Spiderman Aunt May or Original Ryu (Sentinel vs Ryu)

I don't think that anyone was seriously suggesting that Boom Boom was the worst minimate of 2012. She was used as an example of how different people have vastly different quallifications for what makes something the "worst". Someone who just doesn't like Boom Boom's design might vote against her, while someone such as you would greatly disagree. You're looking at it purely based on the minimate itself, but not everyone does that.

Lordy, this was tough when it was a handful of categories, but 23? Man! Talk about a recipe for procrastination.

Voted!thumbsup.gif

I don't think that anyone was seriously suggesting that Boom Boom was the worst minimate of 2012. She was used as an example of how different people have vastly different quallifications for what makes something the "worst". Someone who just doesn't like Boom Boom's design might vote against her, while someone such as you would greatly disagree. You're looking at it purely based on the minimate itself, but not everyone does that.

Hey, I'm seriously suggesting that she's the worst Minimate of 2012, and I would have voted her as such if we'd done the worst of categories (I think I might have voted her scariest happy.png ). But you're right, it's more a matter of aesthetics than anything else. She's a well done Minimate; she just happens to be a well done Minimate of the world's ugliest costume.yes.gif

Hey, I'm seriously suggesting that she's the worst Minimate of 2012, and I would have voted her as such if we'd done the worst of categories (I think I might have voted her scariest :happy: ). But you're right, it's more a matter of aesthetics than anything else. She's a well done Minimate; she just happens to be a well done Minimate of the world's ugliest costume.:yes:

I did actually put her amongst my choices for scariest/ugliest, but that's not really a shot at the mate itself. Ugly is totally accurate to the source material(in my opinion). It just wouldn't be right otherwise.

My votes are in.

And my vote for Worst Minimate of 2012 goes to the TRU Iron Man with falling-off-leg feature. I bought it despite all the negativity about it but didn't truly come to appreciate the hatred until I held it in my hands and tried posing it. A toy should work, first and foremost. At best this one might look okay standing in an alcove among other suits of armor but it already demands an apology figure right out of the box. Fortunately this is the only such disappointment in my collection so if this happens once every ten years, it's a novelty.

2013 is going to be a tough year. Already lots of competition lined up and Toy Fair's not even here.

Wow.

That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Like, "brought up existential musings about the reasons I collect Minimates" hard. So, so many great Minimates last year – so many that were great for subtle, technical reasons I appreciate as a long-time collector, and so many that were great because they just sparked that same simple joy I got from my first Minimate.

This exercise made me appreciate what a truly amazing year we had.