UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The speculation thread

I would say that dc's (or Warner bros) licensing department pretty much sucks. They rarely hear what the public wants and most of the time this turns against them. The green lantern movie flopped because they went th ff 2 route with cloud parallax. Also it felt too "fast forward". IMO they should have adapted first flight in live action. As for toys they seem to cancel good things but they get back to them a couple of years later. Exactly what happened with Lego. They gave them only the batman licence and then they cancelled it. But now they're back with all the DC characters. Last year they finally released 3 3/4 inch figures (with many QC issues so far). From what I've seen it seems to me that they are trying to get back on their feet. They are trying to establish a movie universe,they undid all those complicated alternate universe stuff so I'm hoping that around 2015 we'll see both dc mates and Star Wars. Just how interest resparked bout trek and we got minimates again then maybe,just maybe the new movies will make the forces at will to give more companies the licence.

Also my top 3 Minimate licences that I would like to see are:

Star Wars

DC

Doctor who

Edited by Kostisfire

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to pick a nit here. Zach specifically said "DC Direct."

I don't think there's any bad blood between DC Direct/DC Collectibles and AA/DST at all. I do think that someone at WBCP could have a long memory about Batman New Times and has been reluctant to work with AA due to that. However, if DST has a WB license, I'd love to know what it is.

I know that Batman: New Time makes an excellent grassy knoll shooter to have killed DC minimates, but let’s all think for a second:

IF, *IF* DC was mad about Batman: New Times, WHY did they commission the DC Direct minimates TWO YEARS AFTER?!

Batman: New Times: released 2005

DC Direct minimates: released 2007

Did someone forget to two years then stumble upon a DAVE School Batman and say “oh yeah! f**k those guys!” and cancel the line?

IF DC holds a gruge this long, because someone made a campy Batman when they were trying to be grim-dark why has Adam West been directly involved in Batman products they’ve made?! (He’s the voice of both Thomas Wayne and Proto-Batbot in Brave and the Bold) Also DC is now doing a huge push for Batman ’66 since they got the license cleared, so any bad blood about an Adam West Batman would seem moot.

Isn’t the obvious answer the one we’ve been given:

-DST won’t license it for themsevles because they can’t afford to *JUST* release minimates (and to which we say “but Mezco just makes Mez-Itz!” well Mez-Itz’s suck, less articulation and the ball joint heads are loose as hell, NO accessories, and they cost more... they are to minimates what a Barbie Doll is to a Hot Toys.)

-DC Collectables won’t commission a series because there's not enough profit to be made (and no, even if these sold well, which we know waves 4,5,and 6 didn’t, they have no reason to keep going because we want to augment a Marvel toy line when they can make better money releasing statues or figures they make in house)

I’m fine with DC staying dead, because frankly I don’t want to spend $13-$15 dollars for Nu52 (and don’t be naive, they’d be Nu52, it’s all Mattel and DCC make anymore, it’s all DST would get to make too) designs or tie-ins with shitty movies (and “Justice League” will be a shitty movie, sure we would have gotten Nolan Batman ‘mates, but Green Lantern mates would still be clogging shelves and hurting the line over all) with no accessories, they can just stay dead until DC launches the “classics return! Red Trunks Yes, Skin Mask No! ZOMG! Pay attention to us mainstream media!” attention-cry in a few years.

let’s get back on topic though...

maybe it’s TRUE GRIT!

Box set 1: classic

Box set 2: remake

Vehicle: Horse

there, off the way guess!

I knew there was a reason I stayed out of this thread. Too much RAMPANT SPECULATION. At least it's contained here. Since speculation and I don't get along, I'll stay out after this one last post.

Foul!

You can't complain about Rampant Speculation in a thread devoted to speculation. It's like going to Waffle House and complaining the eggs are greasy.

And technically this is all your fault, Zachy, for starting this mess with your cryptic non-annoucement. You chummed the water, now that the sharks are in full frenzy you want back to shore? Double Foul!

Clearly, the only way to put in bullet in this beast is to either tell us what those clues were reffering to, or say it's cancled. Lie if you have to!

Diamond Comic Distributors (our sister company and specialty market distributor) distributes toys from dozens of companies through their Previews catalog, including Monogram, who have been making Marvel and DC banks forever. There are often unpainted prototypes at Toy Fair, and Monogram wanted to show those to buyers, I guess. The Diamond Comics booth is full of stuff from other companies, and some press still don't understand the difference, since our booths are connected.

And there is no bad blood between DST and DC Direct. DC Direct is also connected to our booth, because Diamond Comics distributes their product to specialty, and we actually distribute DC Direct product to Toys R Us. We are all friends, that is purely a business decision that now probably involves more companies than just the two of us.

Sorry I have been absent from this thread, was waiting for a green light on the reveal. When I first teased it, I thought the toys were a lot closer than they were. They'll be out in early March, and I'll try to post the story on Monday. It's written and scheduled. I even took a couple of action shots I'll show later on.

Zach.. do or do not, there is no try. ;)

Rabble Rabble Rabble

I have to pick a nit here. Zach specifically said "DC Direct."

I don't think there's any bad blood between DC Direct/DC Collectibles and AA/DST at all. I do think that someone at WBCP could have a long memory about Batman New Times and has been reluctant to work with AA due to that. However, if DST has a WB license, I'd love to know what it is.

I know that Batman: New Time makes an excellent grassy knoll shooter to have killed DC minimates, but let’s all think for a second:

IF, *IF* DC was mad about Batman: New Times, WHY did they commission the DC Direct minimates TWO YEARS AFTER?!

Batman: New Times: released 2005

DC Direct minimates: released 2007

Did someone forget to two years then stumble upon a DAVE School Batman and say “oh yeah! f**k those guys!” and cancel the line?

IF DC holds a gruge this long, because someone made a campy Batman when they were trying to be grim-dark why has Adam West been directly involved in Batman products they’ve made?! (He’s the voice of both Thomas Wayne and Proto-Batbot in Brave and the Bold) Also DC is now doing a huge push for Batman ’66 since they got the license cleared, so any bad blood about an Adam West Batman would seem moot.

Isn’t the obvious answer the one we’ve been given:
-DST won’t license it for themsevles because they can’t afford to *JUST* release minimates (and to which we say “but Mezco just makes Mez-Itz!” well Mez-Itz’s suck, less articulation and the ball joint heads are loose as hell, NO accessories, and they cost more... they are to minimates what a Barbie Doll is to a Hot Toys.)
-DC Collectables won’t commission a series because there's not enough profit to be made (and no, even if these sold well, which we know waves 4,5,and 6 didn’t, they have no reason to keep going because we want to augment a Marvel toy line when they can make better money releasing statues or figures they make in house)

I’m fine with DC staying dead, because frankly I don’t want to spend $13-$15 dollars for Nu52 (and don’t be naive, they’d be Nu52, it’s all Mattel and DCC make anymore, it’s all DST would get to make too) designs or tie-ins with shitty movies (and “Justice League” will be a shitty movie, sure we would have gotten Nolan Batman ‘mates, but Green Lantern mates would still be clogging shelves and hurting the line over all) with no accessories, they can just stay dead until DC launches the “classics return! Red Trunks Yes, Skin Mask No! ZOMG! Pay attention to us mainstream media!” attention-cry in a few years.

let’s get back on topic though...

maybe it’s TRUE GRIT!

Box set 1: classic

Box set 2: remake

Vehicle: Horse

there, off the way guess!

Wow, might want to switch to Decaf Doc.

You'all can officially switch over to the Peter Pan minimates thread now.. or start new speculation. The brain trust here at MMMV cracked this case wide open. Pictures are linked to Art Asylum's site on the other thread.

I think we need to start speculating on the next Disney property to be 'mated.

I'd love to see "Sleeping Beauty" get the Minimate treatment to coincide with the upcoming "Maleficent" movie.

whats this "Maleficent" you speak of?

Jeff of the Miniacs

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back with a bit more speculation.A couple of minutes ago the guy from bbc replied back regarding the dr who minimates.He told me that they are looking in new things to licence so they'll take a look at minimates.He'll pass it on his colleagues.The thing he focused most however was that i was from greece.He asked if there is a fan base here,the channel that airs dr who.I took as that he is surprised that the show is so popular that it's even known in a small country.Maybe if dr who mates happen dst will branch out and start selling them in europe too.That would be awesome.Also,i asked about who holds the toy rights too.I'll update when i get a reply.It's not much i know it but this thread has been necroed so i thought some good ol' speculation could be fun! Anyway speculate!

Ps: we could start a campaign and send them mails so they become aware that there is a market. Not pester them,just each one of us could send a mail to make them consider it.

Edited by Kostisfire

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Time for rampant speculation to begin again! The latest Ask Dst featured some cryptic and quite exciting answers, so i thought it'd be quite neat to resurect this thread. Anyway, let's get to it: Here's the http://www.artasylum.com/2013/11/ask-dst-232-minimates-to-the-max/ link, it's the last question.

The biggest news is that the TMNT thing we saw at Toy Fair was neither denied nor confirmed when I asked whether it's a minimate licence or not. I for one think that it's quite possible since:

1) The lego sets didn't exactly set the world on fire and I haven't seen any new sets announced, leaving the block toy spot open.

2) The new Bay movie will make million at the box office so they'll want some toys to go with it.

3) The Turtles are at the peak of their popularity with an aclaimed tv show and comic series.

The other exciting news were that dst is looking into some video game licences and one of these: Halo,GTA,MGS,Assassin's Creed,Bioshock,Mass Effect and Skyrim. I, for one, think it's either AC or ME, tough i'd kill for some BS mates ( though the only thing i REALLY want is an Elizabeth so if we could get a one shot two pack of her and a big daddy, kinda like the Alice mate, to blend both "universes", it'd be swell).

AC is heading to the big screen, has a massive fanbase,shoots out a game every year and there have been no good collectibles of this series. Seriously, the only good figures were the NECA ones.

ME is starting anew, with a brand new chapter (as bioware "announced" with the new photos and concept art they released) so they might want to put out some toys to go with it. Again, ME has had no good collectibles.

PS: If anyone could find the Ship Dates thread and post the new update (i tried to find it, but in no avail) it'd be great: http://www.artasylum.com/2013/11/ship-dates-update-6/

Edited by Kostisfire

There were also the DCD/Big Fish figures which were fairly mediocre.

I doubt Mass Effect is popular enough to support a line, especially after the ending(s) of ME3, but I do think it would be perfectly suited to minimates with there being lots of important characters, multiple worthwhile variations of the main character, and plenty of potential for reusing parts. It would also be the only way everyone could get a satisfying version of their own Shepard.