UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The speculation thread

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aliens and Lost in Space minimates!!! I can't wait for the Aliens 'mates! This is all according to DST Facebook page.

Apparently there is a whole thread dedicated to this, heh, http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=12121&page=2#entry260289

Are these the speculation line? or just coincidentally guessed AND planned?

If they’re the speculation line why has Zach responded in that thread and not posted pictures?!? or at the very least told us where to buy them?

ARGH SO CONFUSING!!! But at least I don’t want LiS so I can put that money towards the new GB!

Aliens and Lost in Space minimates!!! I can't wait for the Aliens 'mates! This is all according to DST Facebook page.

Apparently there is a whole thread dedicated to this, heh, http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=12121&page=2#entry260289

Are these the speculation line? or just coincidentally guessed AND planned?

If they’re the speculation line why has Zach responded in that thread and not posted pictures?!? or at the very least told us where to buy them?

ARGH SO CONFUSING!!! But at least I don’t want LiS so I can put that money towards the new GB!

Lost in space, and Aliens confirmed and will be shown at toy fair, the Retailer exclusive teased in this thread, supposed to be out for sale this week, and thought to possibly be Peter pan has not been revealed(to my knowledge) as of this post

Aliens and Lost in Space minimates!!!

Yup, Pete won the Lost in Space speculation. And while youbastards was the first to mention Alien it was Mattallica who first specifically mentioned Aliens. They'll just have to split their No-Prize.

That's still not the speculation thread! The set we're talking about is the older movie owned by either Disney or MGM (Aliens is Fox) that has an On Shelf date of 2-11-13 per Zach. Zach also mentioned the astronaut line separately, which is what MisterPL is referencing here. Zach also mentioned making use of the smaller MM arms & legs seen in the Thundercats set #3

BUT to have a SET On Shelf date and NEVER be mentioned in a Diamond Catalog means retailer exclusive. So it's either TRU (Nope! They can't hit a set date, something would have leaked), or The Disney Store (birthplace of the Kang minimate!)

Yes, Lost in Space and Aliens seem to be the "astronauts" 'mates Zach alluded to. So Space:1999 will be revealed later in the year. thumbsup.gif

That's still not the speculation thread! The set we're talking about is the older movie owned by either Disney or MGM (Aliens is Fox) that has an On Shelf date of 2-11-13 per Zach.

Actually it was Disney or WB but, yeah, a Disney exclusive seems more likely.

I think it's kind of fun that we don't know yet, especially with today being the ship date. How cool would it be to come upon some minimates on the shelf that you didn't even know about? It's been a long time since I've been surprised like that.

For all we know, Zach's "ship date" could mean the date it leaves China...

Except he told me when I pretended shorter-limbs was an idea I invented they had sets with those pieces “in their warehouse” which is what lead to our confirmation this set had children (or midgets?!) in it.

With so many new lines and announcements flying around I am still most curious about this thread. Can we confirm that none of the lines announced satisfy the clues from Zach in this thread? I'm still believing there is another announcement coming..

Here are the relevant quotes from Zach regarding the mysterious retailer exclusive boxed sets and vehicle available any moment now:

It isn't with Icon Heroes. (MOTU)

It isn't the biggest toy license in the world. (Star Wars)

It isn't the return of the most highly requested license we've ever had. (DC)

It's not even one I've ever seen anyone ask for, to be honest, but I think it'll be fairly high-profile for us. I think it will only be the two sets (and one vehicle) and we're done, but hopefully they sell like gangbusters.

NY Toy Fair will bring a couple more license announcements (again, none of these), and I think those will be more in line with things people have asked for.

Dick Tracy and Buckaroo Banzai are not sets I would expect would perform in any gangbusting way.
A-Team and Firefly are as fan-requested as they come.
Anyone who doesn't like Firefly must hate joy.

I would re-emphasize "high-profile," but I realize we all have different opinions of what that is, and few of us are correct. (No offense -- when you promote properties for a living, you learn quickly what is well-known and what is not.) So I will instead say "timeless" and "universally beloved." So, you know... not Scooby Doo. Sorry, not a fan.

It's a movie. An old movie, but one that is still relevant today. I do not know if there has been a video game of it, but I imagine so.

I would say that a Greek high school student is probably NOT gonna nail this one, but it's actually internationally appreciated, I believe. (Sorry it's not God of War.)

I like the fact that the more clues we have the more confused we become.

I would say that a Greek high school student is probably NOT gonna nail this one, but it's actually internationally appreciated, I believe. (Sorry it's not God of War.)

Is it just a movie or does it belong in someone else (disney,warner bros)is it a franchise or its own thing?

It's by one of those movie studios, yes.

Now were talking. How old is old? :confused:
90's?
80's?
70's?

Older.

Steamboat Willie (Starring Mickey Mouse)

Not that old.

Planet of the Apes? Not beloved.
Beetlejuice? Not high-profile.
Tron? Not timeless.
Jurassic Park? I didn't say dinosaurs, which would make this the most disappointing announcement ever.
Sleepless in Seattle? Correction, THIS would be the most disappointing.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail? This would be awesome, but I think this is as cult as it gets.

Killin' me here. :nopity:

I was tempted to say "IT'S ROGER RABBIT!" and see if I could make your avatar explode.

Then why didn't you just say you were making "The Wizard of Oz" Minimates, Zach!!! Do we get an Omaha State Fair balloon as the vehicle? :thumbsup:

You are at least thinking along the right lines of timelessness, fame and universal love. Bravo. Still wrong, but bravo.

If it is Tron, it better be glow in the dark or I'll be extremely upset. :angry:

I love that Jeff is upset that a toy that we aren't making might not glow in the dark.

Muppets are 1970's. Had you not been a Greek high school student you probably would have known that. wink.gif

Muppets were created in 1955. :whistling:

Winnie the pooh would be awesome!But it's far too new.

Winnie the Pooh was created in 1926. The first Disney featurette ran in 1966. :turned:

See, he still didn't say no to the Loony Tunes

Even though they originally ran in theaters, I wouldn't consider the Looney Tunes movie-based material, as their full-legth features didn't start until they repackaged the shorts as movies in the 1960s or 1970s (right?).

Also, like Winnie the Pooh, another TOUGH adaptation to the Minimates body type.

But the muppets haven't had an on-screen (tv) presence since the muppet show back in 1970 (I could be off on my date). There was that flopped revamp "Muppets Tonight" but that didn't last long. I'm still waiting for MUPPET BABIES: The complete series to be released on DVD so I can watch them with my daughter.

But the Muppets movies all came after the tv show and Zach's earlier post about the Wizard of Oz suggests that the source material is from a similar time frame as the Wizard of Oz. The Muppets were on tv in an early form in the 50's but not in the movies. Zach's most recent posts suggest that it's a movie-based license.
I said it was a movie on page three! PAGE THREE! GRAHHHH! [Head explodes.]

If it's 'Mary f*&kin Poppins' I'll be seeing y'all later.

I'm thinking 'Treasure Island' ....Jim Hawkins ,ship,Silver plus some of the tars from the lamented Calico Jack line.

I'm hoping it'll be Alex & his droogs plus an Orange Durango '95.........I'd die happy. biggrin.gif Kubrick Minimates,irony of ironies.

I also thought 'Capricorn One' but the current license sounds messy.

'2001' ?

I have no idea what Capricorn One is, but I would like Minimates of the rest. Can't imagine any of them would ever be likely, sadly.

WB or Disney, huh? Too bad "universally beloved" isn't a Universal Studios hint. Cause, you know, Les Miserables minimates....

You can never have enough Hugh Jackman Minimates. Next: Kate & Leopold.

I think we are ALL in for disappointment. we have set the bar too high.

Oh, God yes. I mean, I still think the license is a big one with lots of fans, perhaps even among you all, but you've gotten so worked up thinking about Mad Max and the Batman TV series that anything else will seem lame. My hype has backfired.

I'm still leaning towards Robin Hood. Now, remind me - has Wizard of Oz been ruled out? Being that 2013 is the 90th anniversary, plus an upcoming Sam Raimi prequel, seems like a good year for it.

RULED OUT! GAHHH! [Head explodes.]

Look, YOU may not be interested in this property, whatever it is (and let's remember we're all just speculating now), but you have to think beyond yourself and your own wants for a minute. If we are seeing the beginning of a greater partnership with Disney, this is an INCREDIBLE get for DST, and will only grow the brand and the company. Not every single Minimate has to appeal directly to adult males that are into comics, video games, and other nerd culture staples. Minimates are a niche of a niche of a niche (collector-driven action figures/ minifigures/ Minimates), and anything that raises their profile and brings in potential new collectors should be supported. Look, I can't stand the Walking Dead; I think it's an awful, awful comic book. But I accept that it's super popular, and I'm thrilled that DST was able to lock down the license, because it grows the brand. You don't want Cinderella, or Peter Pan, or whatever else it might be? Okay, don't buy it. I assure you that the manufacturing of those figures won't effect the lines you do collect one bit.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: HELLPOP GETS IT.

This exclusive assortment has not cancelled a series of Minimates you wanted. It is IN ADDITION to everything we currently make. It is NOT a long-term line we will be putting all of our manpower on. It IS outside of our normal wheelhouse. It WILL (I hope) introduce more people to Minimates.

I have a great respect for completists, but I know there are relatively few of them here. I see plenty of people who go out of their way to say they WON'T be buying a series/set/what have you. I hope all of you can restrain yourselves when you see a product you absolutely don't want on the pegs/shelf/Internets. Or wait until February, see what else is coming, and make a decision then. I doubt they'll sell out instantaneously.

And then there's this:

I want you to say no to Peter Pan Zach, Please?

Fine, it's not Peter Pan. :rolleyes:

So yeah, we're still waiting patiently for the announcement of the Peter Pan Minimates.

When I went to my Disney Store a week or so ago, they said if something was scheduled for the 11th they'd have it today because they get stuff on Wednesday.

Edit- Stopped by this morning and no minimates. On the plus side they had some New Marvel Legends and Universe product.
I wonder if the ship date slipped or if these are sitting on the shelf at some obscure retailer no one has thought to check. Perhaps Tractor Supply Company got some Farmer Brown minimates. happy.png

Edited by elmeaux