UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

NYCC 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe, in that poll, Songbird and Commander Rogers were the winners. I brought Winter Soldier up to Zach as well, and he said that he did surprisingly poorly in the poll. He also mentioned that Songbird not only was the winner, but the runaway winner. I really wouldn't have thought she'd have enough of a profile to score with the general Marvel audience, but maybe by that point it was more Minimate collectors voting. Who knows. Anyway, from the sounds of it, WS's poll numbers do not suggest he's a highly demanded character.:confused:

WS did okay, but Songbird got over 1700 votes, while nobody else cleared 1500. Given the level of interest here in Falcon, WS and others in that poll, she may have been everybody's second choice, giving her the numbers advantage over the diversity of first choices.

Anyway, from the sounds of it, WS's poll numbers do not suggest he's a highly demanded character.:confused:

Or just that he's a highly demanded character in a poll with several more highly demanded characters.

Given the level of interest here in Falcon, WS and others in that poll, she may have been everybody's second choice, giving her the numbers advantage over the diversity of first choices.

She was my first choice, but even if she's everyone else's second that's an impressive wide appeal for the character. I do hope the mate has her regular hairstyle though, not the mohawk/spiky look she's been sporting lately, so she fits in with the other Ellis-bolts.

Edited by battlecat

Songbird was one of my top choices too. I just couldn't say no to the possibility of a translucent accessories! Plus i wanted to see a female somewhere in the wave.

She has been getting more exposure over the past 5 years & she was a playable character in Marvel Alliance 2. I'm a bit surprised that she did as well as she did - but it's a very pleasant surprise.

Zach - can you confirm whether or not sketches/plans for wave 50 were displayed at the panel? and if so - will they get posted on ArtAsylum.com or even here?

(Once you've recovered from NYCC, of course )

The Star Trek ship is definitely coming out, and I overhead Zach say that they were looking at doing other releases with other captains (meaning the same ship, not doing other ships. Sorry, all you Captain Janeway fans). Walking Dead... yeah, sales have been great. I can tell you that they were all over the con floor, which is a REALLY good sign. Battle Beasts... I don't think we know anything new yet. They should be out at the same time as the trade. I didn't hear anything about any more vehicles, other then the Enterprise. Jack's dead, I'm afraid.

Hmmmm.....DST is certainly holding some things back. My reasoning:

The announced Marvel stuff seems to track with what has been released historically. Meaning, no increase or decrease in Marvel overall. I have not researched this but my gut tells me that what is on deck for non-Marvel seems to be vastly lower than what we've gotten in the past. So either Minimate production has fallen off a cliff or we are in for some surprises. Removing Marvel from the equation and moving forward with release dates we got in 2012:

4 Expendables box sets

2 Waves of Marvel v Capcom

2 Waves of Street Fighter v Tekken

2 Universal Monsters box sets

1 wave of Universal Monsters

2 or 3 Thundercats box sets

1 LCS wave of walking Dead

1 TRU wave of Walking Dead

2 HALO Box Sets

2 HALO waves

1 pirate ship

1 box set of Femme Fatales

3 KITTs

1 pack of Battle Beasts

We have slated for 2013:

1 wave of Walking Dead

1 wave of Battle Beasts

1 or 2 Thundercats box sets

1 Enterprise

1 wave or box set of Tomb Raider

Ruled Out:

Calico Jack

HALO

Marvel v Capcom

So what do you all think will round out the non-Marvel stuff for 2013?

So what do you all think will round out the non-Marvel stuff for 2013?

Hmmm... interesting question. We'll definitely see more Walking Dead, I think, and maybe even up to Marvel levels. We might still see some Universal Monsters, though I wouldn't hold my breath (sorry, Mystery Man). I'd bet we'll see more Battle Beasts too, but I don't know if we can predict how much until we see how they do at retail. Other then that, though, I'd guess that original DST lines are probably not gonna happen, sadly. More video games, maybe? My impression was that TRU was driving those, so if they still want video game 'mates, we might see more. Oh, I do think we'll see Invincible, probably as an LCS wave or box set. And we're sure to see more movie stuff, if the right property comes along. Maybe this will be the year for James Bond?

I suspect they'll hold off BB wave 2 until they see how it does in TRU this Christmas. My gut feeling is that the pre-orders on BB have been way softer than DST planned. And given that TWD pre-orders have been way over the top, I'd guess several more waves next year rushed to the shelves.

I believe, in that poll, Songbird and Commander Rogers were the winners. I brought Winter Soldier up to Zach as well, and he said that he did surprisingly poorly in the poll. He also mentioned that Songbird not only was the winner, but the runaway winner. I really wouldn't have thought she'd have enough of a profile to score with the general Marvel audience, but maybe by that point it was more Minimate collectors voting. Who knows. Anyway, from the sounds of it, WS's poll numbers do not suggest he's a highly demanded character.:confused:

WS did okay, but Songbird got over 1700 votes, while nobody else cleared 1500. Given the level of interest here in Falcon, WS and others in that poll, she may have been everybody's second choice, giving her the numbers advantage over the diversity of first choices.

....you had to mention FALCON.. <sigh>

;)

I think the 10th Anniversary of Marvel is going to take a lot of DST's focus next year, from Zach's statements in the NYCC video. I would be happy with fewer, more focused lines (Marvel, Walking Dead, Battle Beasts), with some supplemental box sets and small one-off waves (Universal Monsters, Thundercats, Tomb Raider).

I really hope the Tomb Raider line is contained to one wave or box set, as most will only want it for Lara anyway.

I still think one of the coolest lines we could see is a series of random monsters, this is my biggest "want" from DST.

We showed the Series 50 art, yes. Not sure I'll be posting it officially, but maybe.

And I don't think we're holding anything back, so much as not done planning 2013. SFxT Series 2 might not be out this year, but WD Series 2 definitely will be. We always knew they'd do well, so we planned a few waves, to coincide with the TV season. Nothing is being "rushed." And next year has three Marvel movies, as well, which will certainly require more resources.

Might I suggest an army builder dump of dead walkers? And a brains accessory.

Bloody no brainer.

Whilst customising/part-swapping is a huge part of Minimate collecting, I truly think that Minimates will 'break out' once this area has been fully exploited by DST. The Walking Dead line ,itself a nigh-on dead cert,will provide a massive resource for customisers......even I'm planning an alternative Zombie universe collection . Battle Beasts will be another magnificent customising resource but seems to be precariously placed (my opinion) between abject failure & massive hit. Anybody who has an SDCC Vorin 2 pack will see this contradiction personified ( :ohmy: probably not quite the right word but it'll do me ).....either way the line is undoubtedly the biggest evolution of Minimate design we have ever seen & despite my reservations & occasional criticism ,I'll embrace it because if Minimates last another ten years then BB will be seen as a turning point....maybe the turning point.

You won't fool ol' bhm .....whatabout these ............?

post-638-0-27404000-1350462370_thumb.jpg post-638-0-79226600-1350462394_thumb.jpg

Generally I might be considered to be a bit like Bruce Bannersheadsmate ,calm,thoughtful & caring but if you don't tell me that there was something Minimatey,tasty & collectible at a Con ..... I turn into the Incredible Sulk .

....er.....me wantee :sad:

totally worth the wait!

that best of wave is incredible!

i really love all the options each mate gives you, like Dooms alternate faces, how venom can become Black Spiderman, and Hulk's turning into Banner body :D

also wave 50 looks awesome! Songbirds energy piece looks great! and Zemo, Nova, Ghost Rider and Onslaught are amazing looking.

really so much great stuff coming :D

thanks Zach, Chuck and the rest of DST/Art Asylum!