UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

NYCC 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1350265312[/url]' post='247531']
1350262883[/url]' post='247527']

Thanks for the panel report, SuperChefMate. Zach mentioned to me that 49 would probably be comics themed, but he didn't tell me that theme. I'm totally against the concept, and not sold at all on the costumes, so I'm taking a wait and see approach... except to say this: if it includes Rocket Raccoon, it will be THE BEST WAVE EVER!

None of the Best Of wave peaked my interest, but we're not the target audience, and I'm sure they'll look great and I'll end up picking up a few in spite of myself.

I realized when I got home that I hadn't seen or heard anything about Tomb Raider, so I'm glad it came up at the panel.

REALLY hope we see that control art soon....

I agree about the Marvel now wave, especially since there is no one design for each character yet. There are a couple different styles for some heroes and I need more backround info on their designs before I get behind them.

But I don't think you should judge the best of 2 wave without seeing the control art, I think the majority of them really look great.

Zach did say that they should be doing stuff for the guardians of the galaxy movie, so that should increase the chances of rocket raccoon being made.

I already said this in the walking dead topic but:

At the panel Zach said that they only have the license for the walking dead comic through Kirkman's label Skybound. So tv show is out, as is other Image properties, but what is interesting is that other skybound properties are possible. Zach also said they might be working on stuff for one of those properties currentlly. Nothing set in stone yet, all up in the air.

You gotta go back and read the last few pages of this thread-- I broke the Skybound news Friday night.biggrin.gif But I'm glad that they mentioned it publically at the panel, because it means there's probably a really good chance they'll do more. Walking Dead looks like a big hit, so I would bet Kirkman's going to be very happy. I don't know how long you could realistically run an Invincible line-- not that there's not plenty of characters, but I would imagine that you'd have some trouble drumming up orders when you get down to the likes of, say, Shapesmith. But I think you could probably get pretty deep into the Invinibleverse until it petered out.

Sorry, missed that.

It is really exciting though, I'm thinking that Thief of Thieves would also be interesting and very possible. It was one of the main titles launched with skybound at first and it was just picked up for a tv series.

Which Ghost Rider will we be getting? And YEAH FOR ONSLAUGHT!!!

the newer Danny Ketch blue flamed Ghost Rider

Jeff of the Miniacs

The new Danny Ketch one, the same one Return of marvel legends just did recently.

Very neat, I really liked the look of that one.....will be a definite addition to my collection.

Ok looking at the Marvel Now image to try and guess who would be included in a wave.

Spidey..I would say yes instant recognition, costume not that different then classic so easy sell to the casual minimate buyer.

Hulk..Again a yes another easy sell to casual buyer especially if the armoury bits come off so can be used as a standard hulk.

Marvel Girl..Nope costume is team costume so as a 2 pack standalone it would be a bit odd, part of a wave and boxset then yes.

Nova..I would go no. There is a Nova Corp the wave after so cant see 2 of basically the same character in consecutive waves.

Nick Fury?..I would think no but I hope yes so finally we can do a head swap and get Steve Rogers.

Cap Am..Yes again name recognition and the tooling is there for the parts (I would buy this Cap and the Nick Fury as a two pack to do Steve Rogers)

Rocket Raccoon..Nope a little to obscure at the moment. Wait until the Guardians movie cranks up then I expect him in a boxset etc.

Wolverine..No only because and I maybe wrong isn't this costume the one in the boxset just announced?

Cyclops..Nope not on buyers radar like say wolverine and for me this costume is horrid.

Sue Storm..same reason as Marvel its a team costume so my reasons for that carry to this.

Cable..No cant give a solid reason I just dont think he stands up to the rest of the figures that could be included.

Thor..Yes name recognition again for he casual buyer. Not 100% on this design looks like a Thor Ares mashup.

IronMan..Yes New armour for fans and to the masses IM is IM no matter what the design as long as its red and gold they don't mind.

2448775-marvelnow.jpeg

I actually think we will get Sue, because we need her from the FF set, and it's almost the same. Maybe Spidey/Sue, Hulk Rocket, Ironman/Cap/ var Nick.

Guys, did I miss a summary or an announcement somewhere of what went on at the panel? I scrolled back a few pages, but I can't find anything.

I actually think we will get Sue, because we need her from the FF set, and it's almost the same. Maybe Spidey/Sue, Hulk Rocket, Ironman/Cap/ var Nick.

Guys, did I miss a summary or an announcement somewhere of what went on at the panel? I scrolled back a few pages, but I can't find anything.

If you go back to yesterday around 1:00 I started posting info from the panel, it should all be there.

@TM@: yeah, go back a few pages; SuperChefMate had it on the bottom of page 8 or 9.

I wouldn't just assume that this wave will come from this image; remember, there's also the Uncanny Avengers book, the Allred FF book, and several more to draw from. A cornucopia of new costumes. Spidey also has a slightly modified look; in case you missed it, Marvel announced that they're cancelling Amazing and replacing it with "Superior Spider-Man", featuring a darker, more aggressive Spidey. As with everything Marvel's announced for, gosh, a year or so, it sounds like a really bad idea, but Slot's still there, and he's earned a lot of trust with me on Spidey.

Anyway, I'm just going to go out on a limb and predict Rocket Raccoon will be in this wave. He's the only character in the original teaser to never be 'mated, and they obviously have big plans for him (he's going to be in a new GotG book by Bendis and McNiven, for one thing). Iron Man seems like a lock to me, and I think the black armor looks snazzy. Nova and Sue I doubt, if only because we'll be getting an FF wave right before, and a Nova in the wave right after. I'd bet on the new Nick Fury, with an alt Steve Rogers head, or maybe packed with that new Cap so that you can mix and match (DSTRobert's really into giving us little treats like that).

Hey, here's another (much better) Marvel Now! teaser, by Ed McGuinness:

Marvel_NOW!_by_Ed_McGuinness.jpg

One of you mods needs to split this discussion into a separate "Wave 49/Marvel Now Speculation Thread"! :biggrin:

It's hard to say what the army builder would be without getting a look at the books. Maybe Nick Fury/Steve Rogers? That way, even though you'd get the costume twice, you'd at least have two separate characters. Ms. (sorry, Captain) Marvel seems like a good bet, as do Rogue, Hawkeye, Iron Fist, and Dr. Strange. I'd be fine with any of them. Anyone know who that chick in the armor with the swords in the middle is?

Oh, one thing I forgot about:

Someone asked about Winter soldier and Falcon at the panel. Zach said that they were in the fan poll and they didn't make it(we knew this already), but with winter soldier being the focal point of Captain America 2 we might see him then. The interesting part is that he also said if they went to the second choice both of them wouldn't make it, and that the second is going to be included in a set down the line.

Wasn't the second highest picked Banshee?

Sorry to interrupt the wave 49 discussion.

One possible army builder could be Iceman, I believe twice in AvX he made duplicates of himself to help in fights.

I would like to see: Nick fury, hawkeye, iron fist, Dr strange, beast, new iron man, captain/ms. Marvel, ice man,and rouge.

I would really like to have the Rouge costume that goes back to the Legacy saga as a mate

Edited by SuperChefMate

I believe, in that poll, Songbird and Commander Rogers were the winners. I brought Winter Soldier up to Zach as well, and he said that he did surprisingly poorly in the poll. He also mentioned that Songbird not only was the winner, but the runaway winner. I really wouldn't have thought she'd have enough of a profile to score with the general Marvel audience, but maybe by that point it was more Minimate collectors voting. Who knows. Anyway, from the sounds of it, WS's poll numbers do not suggest he's a highly demanded character.:confused:

I'm sure that Banshee and Sunfire will be coming in the next year; I think the big holdup will be that the original GSXM set will look so dated next to them. My hunch is that we'll see a new GSXM set for specialty (remember, the first was a Tower exclusive), or else a GSXM wave (52? 53?) filled out by TRU. Remember, to really get that era right, we also need green skirt Marvel Girl....

Yeah, I was really surprised by how Winter Soldier did in the polls. I'm not worried that we wont see him in the not too distance future though, falcon too. Both of them are in Cap 2, so that helps.

I just thought it was interesting to hear Dst state that there were plans for the second choice already. I wasn't sure who the second choice is, but it could shed light on upcoming waves to know who it is. If it is Commander Rogers then that could mean some Nick fury/commander Rogers for wave 49.

Yeah, I was really surprised by how Winter Soldier did in the polls. I'm not worried that we wont see him in the not too distance future though, falcon too. Both of them are in Cap 2, so that helps.

I just thought it was interesting to hear Dst state that there were plans for the second choice already. I wasn't sure who the second choice is, but it could shed light on upcoming waves to know who it is. If it is Commander Rogers then that could mean some Nick fury/commander Rogers for wave 49.

Yeah, it was him. Zach had said that one winner would be dropped in favor of a variant, and Steve drew the short straw. Personally, I was happy about that (and the choice of Baron Zemo as the variant). If, as you say, they've already got plans for him, then it makes his inclusion in Wave 49 (probably as a bonus head with Nick Fury) seem very likely.

This may have been addressed in other non-NYCCthreads but any updates on Battle Beasts? Other lines?

It sounds like The Walking Dead has been a runaway hit, and Street Fighter v Tekken Wave 3 is now questionable due to soft sales. Tomb Raider will be a line in 2013. Any updates on Agent 88?

What about Calico Jack? Star Trek? Any new 80s vehicles like KITT? Dukes of Hazzard?

The Star Trek ship is definitely coming out, and I overhead Zach say that they were looking at doing other releases with other captains (meaning the same ship, not doing other ships. Sorry, all you Captain Janeway fans). Walking Dead... yeah, sales have been great. I can tell you that they were all over the con floor, which is a REALLY good sign. Battle Beasts... I don't think we know anything new yet. They should be out at the same time as the trade. I didn't hear anything about any more vehicles, other then the Enterprise. Jack's dead, I'm afraid.