UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Green Lantern, now with more gay!

Shanester

Not bothered about Alan Scott being gay its the rest of the New DC that sucks mostly. I liked Earth 2 and the new version of Worlds Finest but alot of the new updated characters fall flat for me.

Also the Earth 2 costumes don't even seem to take a nod at their history. Flash looks like Impulse and GL seems to have more in common with Hal Jorden Parallax armour.

I take issues with all the rebooting and retconning DC does in general, but considering these are all essentially new characters, it doesn't matter much to me what some writer decides character X's sexual orientation is.

This was their big announcement they teased a month ago? Really? This is their "Major Character"? I thought putting Cyborg on the JLA for much balihooed racial balance was insulting enough, (sorry Black Lighting, Vixen, Steel, and John Stewart, you guys apparently just weren't black enough) but to make a pre-announcement that you're outing a major character, and then wimp out and it's Scott... sad. Show some stones, DC, or quit calling the press everytime. (apparently Obsidion (who I know they just wrote out of existence) and Batwoman aren't gay enough) And of course half the press announcements are showing pictures of Hal Jordan so enjoy that confusion fellas.

For the record, I have no problem with gay characters, I do have a problem with the DC hype machine,

i agree about the hype, i was really hoping it would be booster gold :P

though alan scott does seem like this change could work for him.

right now though, i feel like DC is trying to tug at marvels coat tails, when marvel isnt making anything looked too forced

(cept avx)

I take issues with all the rebooting and retconning DC does in general, but considering these are all essentially new characters, it doesn't matter much to me what some writer decides character X's sexual orientation is.

I agree. DC was so screwed up they used Crisis to try and reign it in and now they are screwing it up again. I avoid DC mainly for this reason.

This is just... ugh. This is why I hate comics. Not because people are gay, or black, or Muslim (actually they stay away from religion quite a lot. Kitty is the only one I can think of that is constantly confirmed Jewish) but that they have to make it an issue. They take one thing that should be part of the naturally written back story of a character, and turn it into a media event. Whether it be outting someone (DC) or making a wedding (Marvel). And to be honest, I don't care what orientation you are, but I don't want it shoved down my throat. It's insulting.

I haven't read any of the new books (I'm strictly a wait for the trade guy these days), but I think the big problem with the reboot is that it's not organic, but editorially driven. DC had a real chance to remake their line in a way that would be much more accessible, and they seem to have dropped the ball. Still, it has been a success for them so far; they essentially tied Marvel all through the winter and spring, with Marvel needing to basically flood the market with product to maintain their dollar share advantage (in other words, Marvel had to work harder for a small reward), and they've got a few bona fide hits like Aquaman and Animal Man. For the most part, many titles are selling better then they have historically, so that's a plus. But they've already lost a lot of momentum, so it will be interesting to see how long they can keep the new DCU going.

As for Alan Scott, I agree that it's not that big a deal. Obviously, the "iconic" DC character hype was just that. Both Marvel and DC are just attention whores these days.:rolleyes: I do think it was smart of them to take advantage of the Northstar news, though.

This weekend, I met a guy in teh toy aisle who is a hardcore DC fan. So much so he's not planning on seeing the Avengers movie. He tried to defend their recent changes and I just tried not to laugh. I'm not saying Marvel is perfect, but at least they've figured out more plausible ways to generate hype.

I hate you DC. I really, really do.

I like Alan; when Hal gets too annoying, Alan is always the one who manages to be a great character. I do not think that being gay will make him any less of a great character, but it's the wrong character to use. For one thing, this is just a publicity stunt and everyone knows it. But what really gets me is "Why Anal?" Sorry, "Why Alan?" :rolleyes:

It took him long enough to even accept his own son as a gay man; that was one of the more compelling parts of the end of the recent JSA book, that Alan finally came to terms with his son, and though he wasn't "okay" with his lifestyle, he still accepted his son. Suddenly Alan's the gay one instead, "just because?" If they had to have a gay character, make a new one or bring back an already-established one.

Poor show.

(If this is too rude, feel free to point it out and i'll remove it, guys. Seriously.)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

I hate you DC. I really, really do.

I like Alan; when Hal gets too annoying, Alan is always the one who manages to be a great character. I do not think that being gay will make him any less of a great character, but it's the wrong character to use. For one thing, this is just a publicity stunt and everyone knows it. But what really gets me is "Why Anal?" Sorry, "Why Alan?" :rolleyes:

It took him long enough to even accept his own son as a gay man; that was one of the more compelling parts of the end of the recent JSA book, that Alan finally came to terms with his son, and though he wasn't "okay" with his lifestyle, he still accepted his son. Suddenly Alan's the gay one instead, "just because?" If they had to have a gay character, make a new one or bring back an already-established one.

Poor show.

(If this is too rude, feel free to point it out and i'll remove it, guys. Seriously.)

That pretty much summarizes what almost everybody(at least the guys at cbm and me) feels about this move. Dc is acting like the jealous kid who wants to get some of the famous kid's fame. It's a publicity stunt,nothing more.

Read an article this morning that basically said something along the lines of they thought someone should be gay, Obsidian was gay but we're not planning on him even existing, I know let's make Alan gay. Like it's just some thing to throw onto a character. No rhyme or reason just "I choose you! To be gay." DC is really starting to piss me off with all their bullshit hype.

Read an article this morning that basically said something along the lines of they thought someone should be gay, Obsidian was gay but we're not planning on him even existing, I know let's make Alan gay. Like it's just some thing to throw onto a character. No rhyme or reason just "I choose you! To be gay." DC is really starting to piss me off with all their bullshit hype.

I literally just read that and came here to say it.

It was Robinson. According to him, the first "seed" was that now Alan was too young to have a gay son, so "why not make Alan gay instead?" <_<:rolleyes:

i have nothing to add to the alan scott conversation, but i do know quite a few jewish comic book characters:

Wiccan

Moonknight

QuickSilver

Scarlet Witch

Ambush bug

Atom Smasher

Magneto

(some of those are by heritage but still)