UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates 50: What's Your Dream?

hellpop

So we know that Diamond Select is rapidly approaching the 50th wave of Marvel Minimates for the specialty market; pretty darn amazing, and quite an accomplishment. Zach's hinted that they've got something special in the works, but I was wondering: what would YOU do if you could custom-make the lineup? Be as selfish as you like.

First off, for this wave at least, no variants. If I'm creating a dream wave, I want to use all my available slots. Secondly, I'm going to go a little nuts with the uniquely sculpted pieces, as you'll see. And thirdly, this is entirely personal to my collection: there are several figures that I'd have put in here in a heartbeat if I hadn't already made customs of them. You can bet there'd be a Quasar/Black Knight set for example. But anyway, here's Hellpop's dream wave 50:

1. Banshee/Sunfire. Arguably the biggest omission in the whole Minimate collection is the fact that the X-Men team presented in Giant-Size X-Men #1 stands incomplete. Even I, the Bollivar Trask of the Multiverse, can see that. So here you go. Sadly, they will probably not fit in well at all with the likes of FA Storm and Thunderbird, but that's a problem for another day.

2. Dragon Man/Living Laser. I dithered about this one a lot: I know I'd like to have at least one villain-specific set, but there's so many to choose from. For a while, this was going to be the Enchantress and the Executioner, which makes the most sense as a pair, but then I just decided to go with the two I most want.

3. Rocket Raccoon/Squirrel Girl. Naturally. In all honesty, if I had my druthers this would be RR/Jack of Hearts, as kind of a "cool characters created by Bill Mantlo" set, but I made a deal with the squirrel people, and I honor my agreements. It's the Rocket Raccoon way.

"But Hellpop", I hear you say, "you've created a wave without any variations on the core characters." Don't worry, grasshopper, I'm way ahead of you:

4. Frog Thor/Spider-Ham. Of all the possible permutations of the big guns that we could possibly see, these are the ones I most want, and it's not even close.

Yes, it's an animal heavy set. What of it? Lockjaw's lonely.

Edited by hellpop

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really like to see the Marvel Monsters. Man-Thing, Werewolf by Night, Zombie (seriously?! No Zombie yet?), Frankenstein, Living Mummy, Drac, etc.

Yeah, I had a list I was putting together, but I'll go with Shanester's suggestion: Marvel Monsters.

Man-Thing / Zombie

Frankenstein / Werewolf By Night

Living Mummy / Dracula (classic Gene Colan version - no crappy armor here)

And special variant:

Living Mummy / Lilith, Daughter of Dracula (The Mummy is generic enough, he can be an army-builder)

Yeah, I had a list I was putting together, but I'll go with Shanester's suggestion: Marvel Monsters.

Man-Thing / Zombie

Frankenstein / Werewolf By Night

Living Mummy / Dracula (classic Gene Colan version - no crappy armor here)

And special variant:

Living Mummy / Lilith, Daughter of Dracula (The Mummy is generic enough, he can be an army-builder)

You could also fit Morbius ina monsters wave.

Since wave 50 will probably hit during the 10th anniversary year of Marvel Minimates, it would have been nice to see a throwback to the first wave of figures totally redone to modern standards. Too bad we've already gotten updated versions of most all of that wave over the past year, otherwise it would have been a nice gesture. Maybe DST will do that for wave 100...

OK I'll play.

Man-Thing/Howard the Duck .....it is perfectly feasible that both could now be made.

Super Adaptoid /original Swordsman

The Mimic & Banshee

Doctor Strange & Morbius

Sculpts on Man-Thing might take the whole budget but DST will be swamped with pre-orders . The poor ol' Strange Minimate suffers from the fact that he was nigh on perfect the first time. Mimic & the Adaptoid(s) would be a godsend for the customisers whilst Banshee & Morbius must be somewhere on everybody's love list. That leaves Swordsman who is just an unsung icon from those early Avengers days.

Falcon & Winter Soldier had best be done before Wave 50 <_<

Edited by buttheadsmate

You could also fit Morbius ina monsters wave.

See, I'd group Morbius in an all monsterous Spider-Man villain wave:

Morbius / Man-Wolf

Vermin / Swarm

Spider-Clone / Jackal

Spider-Clone / Carrion (variant)

Sculpts on Man-Thing might take the whole budget but DST will be swamped with pre-orders .

Man-Thing / Howard the Duck was on my original list as well.

And if they were ever to make a Sasquash Minimate, with a little careful planning, you could re-use certain parts, like the shaggy fur cuffs around the wrists and ankles.

While there are a load of characters I'd like to see made, if we're talking about an entire wave, i only have one opinion.

Agent X Alex Hayden / Udon redesigned Taskmaster

Sandi Bandenburg / The Black Swan

Outlaw / Mary Zero

Brain-Addled Deadpool / Variant Black Swan's Henchman Nijo (He could just be called Nijo, but I can't remember him having a full name ever)

I'm just hoping we get Winter Soldier soon. He was a major player in several huge storylines, his original form was in a movie, every other major Marvel toyline has made one and yet we still are waiting on him and now he has his own book! If they don't make one soon I don't know what else it would take.

As much as I would love wave 50 to be really fan aimed with all our obscure faves. I could see it as a bit of both a wave to say thanks and a wave that would sell to new collecters.

Spidey and FA Punisher

Cap Am like the WWII from through the ages but in a lighter blue and Falcon

Hulk and Bi-Beast

Iron Man and Madame Masque

Thor and Absorbing Man

I could see most new collectors being ok with the main stays of the marvel universe and older collectors happy at the secondary characters.

I love the idea of Marvel Monsters first. But also, wouldn't mind seeing the following "themes".

• "Collection Complete" a wave of previously hard to get minimates(X-Factor Angel, Warpath, Spider-Carnage, AIM, early variants...) with minor tweaks or upgrades. Meant to fill the "holes" in collections for those who have been diehard fans through 50 waves.
  • "Welcome to the 90's" a wave of the oddball 90's characters. Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, New Warriors, Gideon, 90's Sunspot...)
  • "Starjammers"
  • "Brotherhood" (Blob, Toad, Scarlet Witch, green Quicksilver, Vanisher, Mastermind, Avalanche, Mystique, Rogue, Irene)
  • "MIA" the missing members that would complete various previous teams (Songbird, AOA characters, X-Force Nightcrawler, 1st class Beast...)
  • and this may or may not be cool, but for wave 50, but make the 2-packs based on the best issue #50 covers that have been throughout the Marvel years.