UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Avengers Box Sets

DSTZach

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, you kids need to calm down back there. Don't make me pull this board over, or you will regret it.:nono:

Awesome. Kind of. At least I don't have to worry about buying 44 and these boxsets, I guess. I'm still going to need a Sentry.

Anyway these new characters look great and I can't wait

I'm in this line. Cool new figs, but no need to buy wave 44 now (haven't preordered yet anyway). I'll have to pick up Kree Sentries somehow though. Wave 44 should just be turned into an army builder wave.

Well, now you see why I never showed you the silhos of the other figures. Because you'd seen them.

I don't think this will hurt specialty sales in general, because most comic shops don't compete with Disney Stores due to their limited locations, but I do feel bad for Luke, because I know a lot of the hardcores were a tough sell on that wave already.

BUT, I think you will want to keep your orders with Luke, for the following reasons:

1. Ant-Man 2.0 and Sentry are awesome.

2. Hank Pym can be displayed three different ways -- short Ant-Man, tall Giant-Man and regular height unmasked Pym. (He comes with hair.) So you actually need three of those.

3. Thor comes with extra helmetless hair and an extra clean-shaven face. He also comes with both regular and spinny hammers.

4. Hawkeye comes with hair and a quiver full of individual arrows.

5. Iron Man comes with blue boot jets.

Will post tray pics and box pics soon.

Oh, and I do not remember mentioning a wave with Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Moon Knight in it.

Edited by Zach Oat

My guess is that the 7 characters for wave 44 and these 3 shown today were all planned at the same time and were going to be offered in some configuration, a wave, a set, something, as the comics tie in to the Avengers movie. 8 figures in these sets... could be canceled TRU wave being repurposed into 2 sets. Could be any number of things. Who knows... or rather we know who knows, but they probably won't tell cause it's moot at this point. It is what it is. We've begged for Kang, and now he's on the way. Yip-eee.

And thanks for the pep talk, Zach.

Edited by Mirymate

Well, now you see why I never showed you the silhos of the other figures. Because you'd seen them.

I don't think this will hurt specialty sales in general, because most comic shops don't compete with Disney Stores due to their limited locations, but I do feel bad for Luke, because I know a lot of the hardcores were a tough sell on that wave already.

BUT, I think you will want to keep your orders with Luke, for the following reasons:

2. Hank Pym be displayed three different ways -- short Ant-Man, tall Giant-Man and regular height unmasked Pym. (He comes with hair.)So you actually need three of those.

3. Thor comes with extra helmetless hair and an extra clean-shaven face. He also comes with regular and clear spinny hammers.

Will post tray pics and box pics soon.

Oh, and I do not remember mentioning a wave with Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Moon Knight in it.

Ok then my bad.

2. Hank Pym be displayed three different ways -- short Ant-Man, tall Giant-Man and regular height unmasked Pym. (He comes with hair.)So you actually need three of those.

3. Thor comes with extra helmetless hair and an extra clean-shaven face. He also comes with regular and clear spinny hammers.

Thanks Zach, that is awesome info, and I appreciate it!

1335460361[/url]' post='222310']
1335459962[/url]' post='222307']
1335459561[/url]' post='222306']

Kang has made me warmer inside.

I'm getting a picture in my head & I am not liking it :ermm:

How does Kang make an Avenger cry twice?

He tickles them for an hour or so, and then destroys their home planet.

While I'm not entirely excited about the way this is happening, I was only for certain planning to get the Scott Lang Ant Man from wave 44, so now I'm getting the rest, I guess. Who cares. New stuff is new stuff.

I was feeling wishy washy about getting 44 & both boxes, but after hearing about all of the accesories I will be getting both. Realistically, I would have gotten both anyway, I just would have complained a bit while doing it.

Wait, Thor comes with TWO spinny hammers? So if you get wave 44 and the box, you have FOUR spinny hammers?

I may have just changed my mind entirely.

Also, Zach, that Hawkeye shot is fantastic. If you haven't already and are allowed to, please post non-shilouettey version in the General Pictures thread.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm super stoked to be getting Kang, and Reaper is a super bonus. It just seems like there was more than one potential way to get them out, and this way is an unnecessary slap in the face to a major part of DST's retail network. Unless specialty stores just aren't buying Minimates in significant enough numbers to worry about upsetting anymore. It would be a shame to burn small stores like Luke's with bait-and-switches like this –– getting them to commit to preordering months in advance, only to have their product edged out by the big box stores, and I'm sure these boxsets will be available before wave 44 hits –– but I guess that's business.

Yeah, this also bugs me, and it's gonna affect the behavior of specialty shops, who are going to be more wary than they were in the past to buy in bulk upfront. If DST really wants to put all their eggs in the mass retailer basket, then that's their prerogative, but I just hope TRU doesn't get bored with them like they did the first time around, leaving DST to go groveling back to a specialty shop market that they had lost due to their practices of re-upping figures sold to them elsewhere and diminishing demand.

I think it's more likely that comic book stores won't have any idea about the duplications in the DS sets. They will, however, notice if wave 44 doesn't sell through. That's what happened with a lot of stores when specialty and TRU were sharing packs; comic stores would sell out of the exclusives (which they probably didn't realize were exclusives) but have the TRU-shared packs left behind (which they probably didn't know they were sharing with TRU). I hope that's not the case here.

Like most of you, I'm slightly underwhelmed, but that's mostly because we already got the best stuff the last few days. It's like getting a bike on Christmas Eve, then getting the socks and underwear Christmas Morning. Gotta remember: it's all part of the same Christmas.

I do feel bad for Luke, because I know a lot of the hardcores were a tough sell on that wave already.

I'm sure convincing the powers-that-be to throw him an exclusive boxset of the Wrecking Crew would make up for that... :yes:

What he said, seconded. :yes: :yes:

My guess is that the 7 characters for wave 44 and these 3 shown today were all planned at the same time and were going to be offered in some configuration, a wave, a set, something, as the comics tie in to the Avengers movie. 8 figures in these sets... could be canceled TRU wave being repurposed into 2 sets. Could be any number of things. Who knows... or rather we know who knows, but they probably won't tell cause it's moot at this point. It is what it is. We've begged for Kang, and now he's on the way. Yip-eee.

You're welcome! And these were never planned for TRU. TRU and specialty were separate starting with 43. Disney wanted box sets, they wanted the big guns, and this seemed like the best option, rather than scrambling to come up with even MORE slightly different versions of the characters. (There may have been a crunch factor that limited development time, as well, I'm not sure.) Remember, Disney is considered a specialty store, too.

You're welcome! And these were never planned for TRU. TRU and specialty were separate starting with 43. Disney wanted box sets, they wanted the big guns, and this seemed like the best option, rather than scrambling to come up with even MORE slightly different versions of the characters. (There may have been a crunch factor that limited development time, as well, I'm not sure.) Remember, Disney is considered a specialty store, too.

I think you guys are right, it's probably the best possible solution. The fact that you guys filled out those box sets with two new villains and a much-wanted update is to be applauded.

Wait, Thor comes with TWO spinny hammers? So if you get wave 44 and the box, you have FOUR spinny hammers?

I may have just changed my mind entirely.

No, no, no -- each comes with a regular hammer and a spinny hammer, like the one MvC3 Thor has. You get four hammers, but only two spinny hammers.

Also, Zach, that Hawkeye shot is fantastic. If you haven't already and are allowed to, please post non-shilouettey version in the General Pictures thread.

Thanks! I like the silhouette better, and I actually didn't darken that pic AT ALL. The sun was behind a cloud, it was overcast, and that's just how it came out. Then the sun came out, I changed my angle slightly, and I got the non-silho blue-sky shot. Literally, within 15 seconds of each other. So weird. I gave them outdoor Kang and Grim Reaper shots, too, but they didn't use them.

Edited by Zach Oat

Disney wanted box sets, they wanted the big guns, and this seemed like the best option, rather than scrambling to come up with even MORE slightly different versions of the characters. (There may have been a crunch factor that limited development time, as well, I'm not sure.) Remember, Disney is considered a specialty store, too.

And as much as collectors like us would like to think that we make a huge difference on sales, the main buyers of these packs in stores are going to be kids. So for the sets to do well AND for Disney to keep wanting to do exclusives like this, you got to have big name Avengers so that kids want to buy them.