UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC Exclusives?

Valo487

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know DC numbers, but I seriously doubt that DC Direct made more Minimates than we made Sony 'Mates for TRU.

There were 2000 cases of the first few waves of DC minimates.... as far as I can logically deduce....each case having 3 sets of 4 ,6000 sets of each were therefore produced.

I'm just a fan not an expert but I'm guessing there weren't 6000 sets of Jak & Daxter (for example) supplied to TRU . My point .....which seems to be drifting away now...is that Playstation 'mates may well become as desirable as DC Minimates now are,I say 'now' because this was not always the case.

Edited by buttheadsmate

But I have always professed that some of the best 'mates we could ever get is just a line of generic monsters/ghosts/mythological creatures.

In house lines are the best solution. You don't pay for licensing but you always worry if they will make enough money without a famous brand's name stuck on the packaging.

Meanwhile, and this is gonna sound like me being an asshole, a friend of mine found the entire Sony wave with 3 extras of the Uncharted pack, on clearance at his TRU for $1.50 a pack. along with MAX sets, Pirate sets and a shitton of Universal monsters wave 2 for between $1-$0.50 per pack and he bough the whole goddamn pile which is sitting in my closet right now because I haven't decided what to do with them. Yet at the same time, they haven't seemed to even get wave 4 of Halo yet and it's driving me mad.

If they're getting that cheap, I may have to go check my TRU... they had a butt-load hanging in the clearance section last time I checked, but they were still in that $5ish range.

The 6000 or so Jak/Daxter's at my TRU are still in that $5 range too.

Yeah, the TRU Sony 'mates are a conundrum. Great figures of popular Sony franchises, but for some reason they just weren't popular. The problem with the Sony line in general is, other than God of War, they have no other first party games that would work for 'mates. Sure, GoW could carry several waves in itself, but if Jak/Daxter and Ratchet/Clank can't sell, then who is left? Generic SOCOM soldier? Generic Killzone soldier? Maybe a pack or 2 of Little Big Planet Sackboys? Unfortunately, Sony's "mascot" is Kratos, and he wasn't included in the license for whatever reason.

Great points, but I would have been slightly more likely to support the Sony line (to date I have bought none) if there had been a dedicated Jak wave or Ratchet Wave. I think either waves (or boxsets) of Uncharted would have been the bees knees and I definitely would have been on board. I think for the most part, DST does a great job in how they release product, but Sony was one of the few times I think they dropped the ball. (Unless it was Sony that wanted a bunch of misc. characters in the same offering.)

Edited by Turtle

I agree, Uncharted easily could have pulled off a full wave (or a boxset for each game), but again "mostly casually dressed humans" don't usually bode well for Minimates. I'm not familiar enough with the properties, are the supporting characters from either Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter well known enough to warrent a full Minimate wave?

Okay... after rereading the last three pages, I'm still not sure how we got "here" subject-wise. I'm just going to sit over here and smile and nod my way through this one until things start making sense. Kinda like Christmas at my In-Laws. :yes:

From SDCC speculation we got to banana speculation and now we are talking about the Sony mates. Well,one reply brings another,a discussion opens,a delay happens and before you know it you are in the middle of the battlefield. Okay,let's go back to SDCC speculation. What do you think is the theme of the other two 2packs(they are three but one is a battle beast pack)?

Edited by Kostisfire

1338581763[/url]' post='229414']

I agree, Uncharted easily could have pulled off a full wave (or a boxset for each game), but again "mostly casually dressed humans" don't usually bode well for Minimates. I'm not familiar enough with the properties, are the supporting characters from either Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter well known enough to warrent a full Minimate wave?

I think that, at least as far as Ratchet and Clank go, the support cast is probably easily recognizable to people who've played the games, like myself. But I've never be entirely clear on just how big a game it is. I know there's plenty of fans supporting the, gah, like 9 or so games, but still as far as I know it's more one of those games that people know about, but just never really play for whatever reason. I love them and have introduced numerous people to them, all of whom also seemed to love them, but not a one of them would buy minimates. And more Uncharted mates would have been awesome. I still could never figure out why they started with Uncharted 2, I mean, besides that it had way more press than the first one, being an established sequel and all. The lack of Elena and Sully lives forever in my head with the untimely death of the Miranda Keyes Minimate.

1338582147[/url]' post='229416']

Okay... after rereading the last three pages, I'm still not sure how we got "here" subject-wise. I'm just going to sit over here and smile and nod my way through this one until things start making sense. Kinda like Christmas at my In-Laws. :yes:

Also, honestly, I would rather speak on anything at this point that isn't SDCC exclusives or the fact that the announcement has been delayed.

I may isolate myself from everyone else with this, but I've had this thread stuck in my head for awhile now. It really has upset me and I want to go on record as saying that. I don't know why the rest of you come to this forum, but I don't come here for stuff like this.

Bananas in pictures aren't a good time to me, much less when they're posed with props to find even greater humor at the irony of their peeling.

I take all fruit very seriously and really have to wonder if my time would be better spent elsewhere.....so I'm off up the pub.

-bananaheadsmate

Regarding Sony, i don't own a single Sony video game device. I'm a Microsoft and Nintendo guy. That said, i've played and read Uncharted, enjoy the characters, and bought that pack. The rest i left to rot on the shelves, where they still sit. I just have no place for them in my collection. Well made, surely (although Chloe's face is rather blow-up-doll) but just not for me.

Anyway, i don't mind the SDCC delay. A slow down of new mate news is quite welcome right now.

1338583335[/url]' post='229422']
1338582924[/url]' post='229420']

Also, honestly, I would rather speak on anything at this point that isn't SDCC exclusives or the fact that the announcement has been delayed.

LOL, exactly, this thread NEEDS a purpose, at least until Monday. :)

I agree with youbastards and as such myself. Acceptable topics of discussion are now Philosophy, Zen, microbrewing of beer, organic gardening, and who on is board takes pole dancing lessons. Discuss.

I agree with youbastards and as such myself. Acceptable topics of discussion are now Philosophy, Zen, microbrewing of beer, organic gardening, and who on is board takes pole dancing lessons. Discuss.

2087423093_eca975b1f2_z.jpg

I'm not naming names.

We're having some fun now!

YB, how long has this situation been going on? Have then been on the table for an extended period of time, or is this a recent thing?

winkerbean, feel free to send me corn. I used all mine up for a memorial day party and just need more. My tomatoes don't seem to be coming up well this year. They may have been planted too late. That or my soil mixture is off.

MisterPL, I concede. You are better than me.

Edited by The Geohound

I think the conversation slipped on the proverbial banana peel.

On microbrewing, I started a pilsner last weekend. Mmmmm. Pilsner. I'm not sure how well the fermenting is going. I haven't seen the same kind of action in the air lock I normally see in my ales, so I snuck a look under the lid and it looks like there was some fermenting. I'm going to take a hydrometer reading later today and see if there's been much alcohol production. It smells great either way. If any of you lot ever make it this neck of the Center Coast, you're more than welcome to stop by and try a homebrew.

Edited by Turtle

Shall we start a wish-list? I love 'em.

Ok, sounds good to me!

Here is the theme:

"Movies or TV Shows"

If you could design a single box set of 4 Minimates around a Movie or TV show, along with a supporting convention exclusive 2-pack and/or Vehicle release, what Movie or TV show you choose and what characters would you pick?

I'll start.

"Raiders of the Lost Ark"

4-Pack:

- Indy

- Marion (white dress)

- Toht

- Belloq "Desert gear"

Convention Exclusive:

- Battle Damaged Indy & Belloq in Ritual costume

Vehicle:

- Nazi Convoy Truck (with Ark of the Covenant) with Nazi Driver

winkerbean, feel free to send me corn. I used all mine up for a memorial day party and just need more. My tomatoes don't seem to be coming up well this year. They may have been planted too late. That or my soil mixture is off.

Oh a fellow gardener....... Interesting!!

I'm of to bed, goodnight everyone :)

YB, how long has this situation been going on? Have then been on the table for an extended period of time, or is this a recent thing?

Going on about 6 weeks. Keep in mind, in that time, I received my orders from Luke for Halo Boxset 4, Marvel 44 & 45, I got the Disney exclusives, TRU Avengers, TRU Halo 4, and managed to get an order from the TRU Amazing Spider-Man sample case. :unsure: