UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

The only issues I have with this wave after looking at the tray photo more closely is the colors for Doom and Punisher. It looks like Punisher is blue-gray instead of black, which isn't necessarily that bad but I'd much prefer black with blue highlights than the reverse. The flat gray on Doom is probably going to keep me from army building Doombots, but maybe I'll change my mind when I see more photos.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a artist preference kind of thing. Sometimes Doom's armor is draw a reflective metallic silver-gray, sometimes the flat gunmetal gray. The flat gray was certainly more prevalent in earlier appearances. I guess my personal preference runs somewhere inbetween... but then that's in comics. MvC3 Doom is going to stay my default Doom, and as you say, these will be Doombots.

Yeah these 'best of' series are amazing! I just started collecting in September and I'm up to 60+ minimates collected so far. Going to totally buy all of series 2 with the exception of maybe Venom/Daredevil. I'm perfectly content with the DD that came with Kingpin. And Venom... man I really need a Venom... I might just have to break down and buy the Venom boxset. And Martin, I love your Wave 3 ideas.

• 1 month later...

He'll get them today and work his ass off to get everything shipped out for us. Thanks Luke and Luke's wife smile.png

Oh no, don't get me wrong. That wasn't a knock against Luke at all! He's the best and I hope he knows it.

I'm just trying (and failing) to stop obsessing over these sets and the TRU 15. I am a Fantastic Four (and classic Marvel) nut... and used my Christmas present (money) to pre-order these and Walking Dead series 3. So finally being able to get 3 custom cases from Luke is mostly all I've been thinking about since December.

Like I said... trying (and failing) to stop being so anxious-gimme-gimme. :)

Matt your a great guy, I knew you weren't talking bad about Luke.

3 custom cases!!!! of 48? Did you see Zach's pics in the thread? They look good, maybe you shouldn't look, I don't want you to keel over from a heart attack :)

Matt your a great guy, I knew you weren't talking bad about Luke.

3 custom cases!!!! of 48? Did you see Zach's pics in the thread? They look good, maybe you shouldn't look, I don't want you to keel over from a heart attack smile.png

Oh, no no no!

3 custom cases = 1 Series 48, 1 Best of 2, 1 Walking Dead 3. Sorry for the confusion!

And yeah, I've seen those pics of Zach's... last night over on the Diamond Select Toys Facebook page. I'm so excited!!!!

It's ok, I thought that would be a lot of mates even for a fan of the team, even for buttheadsmate? I would love to know why people get custom cases, army builders? I checked FB yesterday but I didn't see anything there, if you'll excuse me while I go have a look.

I get the custom cases for the army builders and because I like having duplicates of figures that I know I'll really like, such as the Fantastic Four.

Also, because if a figure has extra parts I really like and can use on other figures or for customs, I'll already have them and it's a better deal cost-wise to buy them in a custom set from Luke than pay for shipping on them later.

Also, because if a figure breaks and has gotten rare I won't have to pay an arm and a leg to get another one to replace it.

Edited by Mystery Man

It's ok, I thought that would be a lot of mates even for a fan of the team, even for buttheadsmate? I would love to know why people get custom cases, army builders? I checked FB yesterday but I didn't see anything there, if you'll excuse me while I go have a look.

I'm getting a custom case. My thinking is I'll get the troop builders, have an extra set of FF characters for alternate looks and an extra Reed body for HT, have extra puppets from Puppet Master and probably be albe to either resell the two extra Alicias to recoup some money or use the Thing bust as the base for some other custom made bust. I've also thought this might be a good way to get some nice FF bodies to turn into Marvel Zombie customs. To me, this is the most useful custom case I've ever bought. Edited by groundhog7s

It's ok, I thought that would be a lot of mates even for a fan of the team, even for buttheadsmate? I would love to know why people get custom cases, army builders?

I buy custom cases because they are quite simply the most economical way of buying complete sets . Why buy complete sets ? I'm just cursed .

This wave is particularly nice & I reckon it will sell out quickly.

Just opened up Loki/Hulk and Mr.F/ Doom. Passed on the others, as I don't care for either the Punisher, Deadpool, or Venom, and I've got more than enough Daredevils. Sorry guys, no pics, as I just discovered our camera's broken.sad.png But some quick thoughts:

-Loki's great. The perfect Loki figure. I have had some trouble getting his cape to go low enough on his shoulders so that it doesn't interfere with his helmet, but I think I might like him better without the cape anyway. I think you all know this, but he does come with a repainted Captain Britain hairpiece, presumably as an easter egg for your Avengers Loki.

- Really like the Hulk/Bruce Banner. It is a tad annoying, though, that you'll need to scrounge for some extra parts if you want to display them both (you'll need an extra chest block to put under the Hulk's powerhouse piece, and an extra set of legs). But I suppose we can't have everything. Bruce's face is on the cartoony side, but he definitely looks like he stepped out of Hulk #1. His lab coat, by the way, looks to be repainted from Curt Connors in the ASM line.

-Reed and Doom... I admit that I bought this set mostly because I need an extra Doom cape for a custom project (the old JLA villain Dr. Destiny), and I plan to give the extra stretchy parts to my Plastic Man. That said, Reed looks pretty cool all stretched up (imagine how great Plastic Man will look!). As for Doom, I'm not a fan at all of the flat grey look. I appreciate that DST changed him up from the MvC release, but he's still an inferior version of that figure. The Doombot head is a nice touch; also, he comes with the Protector's gun from the AvX box set. That's going to my Han Solo custom.starwars.gif