UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Greatest 'Mates

DSTZach

Not to toot DST's horn, but we've been making Minimates for 10 years, and there are over a thousand of them, and most of them are pretty damn good. BUT if we were to pick the best ones ever made, across all brands and eras, which would they be? I'm looking for single-figure nominations, from the entire Multiverse: Marvel, DC, Street Fighter, 24, Crouching Tiger, Back to the Future, Lord of the Rings, Ghostbusters, unique sculpts, bare bones, 2 inch, 3 inch... Suggestions? Anyone?

Edited by Zach Oat

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2 inch mates are much better than the 3 inch mates in my opinion. My criticism of the old 3 inchers was always that they were too oversized to be block figures. They almost looked silly next to the 2 inchers. Having a larger body for bigger characters like the DC mates was interesting to me. I'm always hoping that some day we'll get this with the Marvel line, but I know it's unlikely.

Anyway, to me the best Minimate to date is Deadpool. Two different masks, plus the rotten head underneath and a mess of accessories makes him hard to beat.

Honorable mentions:

DCD Series 1 Batman. Loved the slip on mask, though I thought I'd hate it after seeing the prototype pic.

Disney exclusive Thor. No silly powerhouse torso to restrict movement, and nice paint deco.

MvC3 Magneto.

Green Goblin (the one in my avatar pic). Nice facial expression and the scaly paint deco looks great.

Lots of other great mates, but these are the first that come to mind for me.

Honorable mentions:

DCD Series 1 Batman. Loved the slip on mask, though I thought I'd hate it after seeing the prototype pic.

Disney exclusive Thor. No silly powerhouse torso to restrict movement, and nice paint deco.

MvC3 Magneto.

Green Goblin (the one in my avatar pic). Nice facial expression and the scaly paint deco looks great.

I really like the Disney-exclusive Iron Man, too.

I agree, Dr. Strange it is. He did win best minimate of 2007 and still holds up today. Speaking of which Zach, when does DST plan on making Dr. Strange in his astral form?

id just like to echo this and point out that DST has the perfect oppurtunity to make a strange wave, having doc's modern look with a mindless one army builder and his astral form as a variant :D

Just one??? That's tough. I have a lot of sentimental favorites, but all things considered, tonight (I might choose differently tomorrow), I would go with wave 7 "Neal Adams" Batman. My favorite comic character, done as I best loved him as a child, perfectly. Well, maybe he didn't need the weird triangular deal at the top of his cape, but that's really a minor quibble.

Iconic, colorful, basic, yet capturing detail where it matters, and most importantly, capturing the essential characteristics of the character. That's what makes a Minimate great to me. The same goes for the aforementioned Doc Strange, Ant-Man, Defenders Hulk, wave 1 Green Lantern, wave 28 Wolverine, and the Classic Heroic Age Spidey and Cap (probably both in my top 10 Minimates at the moment--funny Thor and Iron Man from that pack were already mentioned here), among others.

Edited by karamazov80

I agree, Dr. Strange it is. He did win best minimate of 2007 and still holds up today. Speaking of which Zach, when does DST plan on making Dr. Strange in his astral form?

id just like to echo this and point out that DST has the perfect oppurtunity to make a strange wave, having doc's modern look with a mindless one army builder and his astral form as a variant :D

But that's not a whole wave! For that you'd need:

Clea/Black Knight (he appeared in several issues of Doc's book)

Doctor Vodoo (the new Sorcerer Supreme)/Baron Mordu

By the way, anyone that likes comics should go track down Roger Stern's run on Dr. Strange, from (I believe) issues 48-73. STUNNING comics, including artwork by the likes of Marshall Rogers and Paul Smith.

Ahh, wow, that is tough.

The Disney exclusive Iron Man was pretty terrific. The colors were dead-on, and it had just the right amount of add-on pieces without getting cumbersome. He's an iconic character, and the over all design really exemplified the Minimates aesthetic: block figures with a little extra oomf.

Yeah, I think Disney IM is it for me.

It's a really tough one - but i have always LOVED the Death/Archangel minimate. It's an example of almost everything about the character being contained in a vanilla minimate with one great accessory. Admittedly, the accessory is the HUGE set of wings - but that character was a total win for me. Clean. Bright. True to Form. Easily Identifiable. A+

Gotta go with Dr. Strange as well.

A classic Marvel character, perfectly done the first time.

By the way, anyone that likes comics should go track down Roger Stern's run on Dr. Strange, from (I believe) issues 48-73. STUNNING comics, including artwork by the likes of Marshall Rogers and Paul Smith.

An aside: I'd second this, but change Doctor Voodoo to the classic Brother Voodoo. Classic would translate to a figure with colors that'd pop and also, spoilers... he ain't exactly the new Sorcerer Supreme anymore.

Wave 28 Deadpool.

Great selection of accessories, the quality of the figure itself, the paint job and the tampos are spot on. Getting two different facial expressions on two masks brings endless fun to play around with this guy. I must say the toothpics katanas could have been better, but other than that, he's a wiener winner.

Honorable mentions:

- Dr. Strange for all that's said above.

- WW2 Cap (Cap through the ages): I really love that sholder/chest piece, the helmet/mask and the whole faded color scheme on that one.

- Ares: great details, great accessories and all in all a great figure.

- TRU Bullseye - very simple yet great design on him. I don't like the old slip-on mask with parts of his face being displayed on it, so I don't use it.

- Dr. Peter Venkman (box set #1): the whole GB design is just incredible. I love the details, the proton packs and everything. I picked Peter because I like his character most, but actually I'd chose every other GB mate from the first movie, too.

The Spirit - when he came out, the hat, coat and tie were some of the greatest sculpted pieces and I alos love the tampos on his sneakers.

- Professor Hulk: you really captured the style and likeness of this guy with an incredible love for detail. Just kidding. He won worst Minimate 2008 for a reason. ;)

Edited by Bob Harris

I have to agree Dr Strange is a pretty terrific and well executed mate. Hellpop you couldn't be more right about those Stern issues its probably my favorite stretch of Doc books. As for the wave listed substitute Brother Voodoo for Wong and I would buy the hell out of that wave. (ok, I would buy that wave up either way)

My pick would be the Series 28 Wolverine. I think it is a perfect representation of Jim Lee's style, and in my opinion, is the best Wolverine we have gotten yet.

Runners up:

Series 2 Spider-Man (a.k.a. my gateway drug)

Dr. Strange

Series 28 Deadpool

Series 28 Gambit (damn I really liked Series 28)

I'll go along a bit with Luke and say Marvel wave 28 is hand's down the best wave released of any line yet. The only 'loser' of the wave was the Sabertooth variant. The mate looks perfect, but I could care less about the character and would have rather seen the spot go to some other character altogether.

Wave 28 Deadpool.

. . .TRU Bullseye - very simple yet great design on him. I don't like the old slip-on mask with parts of his face being displayed on it, so I don't use it.

- Dr. Peter Venkman (box set #1)

Deadpool is immediately disqualified for my consideration because he's a Rob Liefeld creation. TRU Bullseye is a brilliant Minimate. Just too bad he was so hard to find. As for Venkman, the Ghostbusters are probably my second favorite line after Marvel, but I really wish we had GB's without the bulky chest pieces. We know it's possible now that it was done with Janine in the Real Ghostbuster's line.

A new 4-pack with the original 4 GB's in the new style of regular Minimate with proton pack (no powerhouse piece) would be a smash hit, and would have the potential to become my favorite 4 Minimates of them all. . .if I were DST, this would be a no-brainer :whistling:

Wonder Woman .

Maybe an odd choice & definitely not a favourite comic character of mine but the Minimate is perfectly executed.

Excellent figure, no doubt. Fits in with those others I listed before. My only issue with Disney IM is his eyes. I still think he somehow looks like a frog, even if his eyes aren't much wider than they are on a typical Minimate. I actually prefer the old-school wave 6 Iron Man's helmet.

I'll go along a bit with Luke and say Marvel wave 28 is hand's down the best wave released of any line yet. The only 'loser' of the wave was the Sabertooth variant. The mate looks perfect, but I could care less about the character and would have rather seen the spot go to some other character altogether.

I actually love that figure, as well. My favorite Sabretooth look, done extremely well as you say. If there are any stinkers, to me, it's the lame-O '90s trash in there. I kid :D , but Gambit, Asian Psylocke, and Deadpool don't do much for me as characters because of when they came out and what they represent. But the figures are top notch all the way.