UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Green Lantern: The Movie

minimadman

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yaknow, it seems I'm completely unlike the rest of you. The more I see of this movie, the more impressed I get.

You guys see the butchering of your favorite characters. I see damn cool looking CGI models. You see a mediocre cast for the characters. I see a damn good cast overall. Why do I see this way?

Because I don't know the characters. If I did, I'd be picking nits right along with you. However I have no clue about the Green Lanterns, Kilowag, Sinestro... All I know is that they have a power ring, can make whatever the f**kall they want out of it, have a badass creed that I memorized because it was just that badass, and the versions I know are weak to yellow. That's all I know about these characters. I don't know personality, I don't know any of that. I just know the idea behind the power. And it's a damn cool idea that will look awesome on the screen. As long as the performances are good, and the CGI is good, I'm excited about seeing this.

Also I don't know what Parallax is, but it sound like it could be the single most badass enemy ever to hit comic book movies if what I've read is true.

Or it could be another Galactus Moment. Which is possibly more likely.

...You guys see the butchering of your favorite characters....You see a mediocre cast for the characters...

I see a bunch of naked space cops and that disturbs me. The final designs might work, and I'm trying to give the creators the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not sure that I like where this movie is visually headed.

• 2 months later...

It looks like the Matrix. It's not as bad as the costumes we've seen, but I'm not quite digging it. I mainly don't understand why they are messing with and muddling up what has always been one of crispest, cleanest designs in superherodom. The sleek simplicity of GL is part of the charm.

Well, some toy line spoiler alert here:

Battle Shifter dlx figure

Fig and Vehicle Asst

Hal Jordan vs Parallax

Power Slingers Assy

10" Galactic Scale Fig

3.75" Basic Figure Asst

6" Classic Collection

6" Movie Masters Figures

I wonder if the Classics Series 2 Preview figure will match the Movie Masters line or if it will be done to match the classics line.

• 4 weeks later...

You can see some sneek peak footage of the Green Lantern trailer in this clip at Superherohype.

The costume doesn't look all that bad now that I see it on Reynolds. The transformation into the costume is shown as is Jordan decending on Oa, flying through space, creating a fist construct and a close-up of Kilowog sniffing Hal. Enjoy!

Edited by MINI_MYTE

KILOWOG. He looks freaking amazing. I think the CG's gonna take some getting used to.

True. The suit looks waaaay too green in the clips, I hope they tone it down some in post-production, because if these clips are actual finished footage it's going to be very hard to watch this movie. I love GL and understand why they made the choice to go with a full CG suit, but it just isn't working for me from what I've seen so far. At the very least, his mask shouldn't be glowing as bright as his suit. Even if it wasn't garish and hard to look at, it makes you wonder how the poor guy would see anything beyond his own blinding green glare.

I think it is a good move in terms of trying to sell tickets. You find something that works, you ape it. Personally, the trailer doesn't do much for me, though. Ryan Reynolds is no Robert Downey, Jr.

Edited by karamazov80

Trailers are frequently better than the movies as a whole when dealing with mass appeal-type fare, so if you were hoping for something that you aren't seeing with the trailer, I might be a bit worried. Of course, I've been pessimistic all along so I'm not really affected one way or the other. So far, this is what I was expecting (well, I was actually expecting better CGI, but. . .).

Edited by karamazov80

This trailer has done nothing to allay my fears, movie still looks like crap. The scene where he's showing off his suit to his buddy makes me cringe every time. Really Hal, really?

And yeah Karamazov, the CGI looks terrible. The CG on his suit looks like something we would have seen 5 years ago, I can't believe they are trotting it out and showing it. He literally has his skin painted green, no effort was put into making that "suit" even look like a physical piece of clothing that he actually wears.

Edited by Robbie

My biggest gripe is casting. I love Ryan Reynolds (perfect Deadpool, literally perfect) but he doesn't fit Green Lantern at all. Yeah, Hal can have a bit of an attitude and in his younger days he had a wild streak but he has never been jokey and hammy at all. It feels like a younger, more immature version of Hal...If DC had their version of the Ultimate Universe, this would be Utlimate Hal...

And he says he struggles with fear? Seriously! That's the whole reason he was CHOSEN to be a GL, he was found to have no fear! And I quote, Abin Sur had his ring seek out a man who was, "utterly honest and born without fear".

DC better be thankful for Christopher Nolan because every other attempt at a DC movie has been a fail.

Edited by Robbie

My biggest gripe is casting. I love Ryan Reynolds (perfect Deadpool, literally perfect) but he doesn't fit Green Lantern at all. Yeah, Hal can have a bit of an attitude and in his younger days he had a wild streak but he has never been jokey and hammy at all. It feels like a younger, more immature version of Hal...If DC had their version of the Ultimate Universe, this would be Utlimate Hal...

Completely agree. Great Deadpool, would have been a great Flash, but Hal .... not so much.

Completely agree. Great Deadpool, would have been a great Flash, but Hal .... not so much.

I think that Ryan Reynolds could have been a great Hal, and still could be for all we know, but why not use the serious Ryan Reynolds. How does DC go from The Dark Knight back to Batman and Robin. I am trying to stay positive but after seeing that trailer it is much harder.