UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Green Lantern: The Movie

minimadman

Gah, what was people problems with the FF Movies? FF2 was better than Thor IMHO.

Anyways, yeah. I feel sorry for GL. They were using it as the grand new era for Supes, WW, kid-friendly Batman and JLU. I believe this movie may have been the linchpin that kills the how for DC's future.

It never ceases to amaze me why DC can do amazing cartoons, but their movies outside of Batman suck. Then again, it took decades for Marvel to gt the movies right, and their cartoons have been good, but there's just been a greater volume of bad ones.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Rise of the Silver Surfer I think it was a damn sight better than the first movie, and the biggest mistake was continuing to cast that awful actor who played Dr. Doom.

All jokes aside, both FF movies could have been 100% better if they had not been scared of comics Doom dialog and thus felt the need to have him make clever quips that Doom would never make. If someone were to go back and dub over all of Doom's lines as soon as he puts on the mask with proper Doom-speak it would be a different movie. They could have used the excuse that his mind had snapped and he was now completely crazy. But replace "This is going to be fun!" with "Insolent fools, you dare assault Doom! Your worthless lives are now forfeit!" and the rest of the silliness in both movies would have been more easily forgiven.

But IMO GL was a better put together movie with fewer plot holes than either. (whew, managed to swerve this back on topic.)

They weren't though. They were fun superhero movies. I mean I'll admit a tree could have played a better Sue Storm, but I think the rest of the cast was perfect, and the plot was fine. The music didn't suck like Daredevil. I managed to stay awake unlike the Hulk. Really I'd rank them just below the Avengers flicks and Spidey 2.

I enjoyed the movie but it was nowhere near my favorite this year. I don't like my hero fighting a giant cloud. I thought, based on the trailers, that I would be really bugged by the CG in the movie but it wasn't as bad aas I thought it would be. As it is with most other hero movies, I wanted to see him using his powers more.

I find a lot of the failure with comic based movies comes about because directors, writers and producers feel the need to make changes to comic history. They tweek costumes, backstories, character development & relationships, all to the point that they no longer resemble the comics they are based on. The Batman redux is good because it is fairly faithful to the darkness that is Batman. Iron Man is great partly because they have been faithful to the comics. Yeah, Vietnam became the Middle East for Stark's Iron Man beginnings, but the clunky Mark I is a great representation of the comics MKI. I even had doubts about RDJ as Stark, but he fills the role well because he plays the Stark from the comics we read.

Green Lantern has/had potential, but the story lacked action, the character of GL lacked development, and Parallax is just flat out lame (IMO).

I haven't seen Thor. I just can't bring myself to do it. I think the comics Thor would be appalled. Captain America? Still undecided but not holding my breath.

Honestly, I don't remember much of FF1, and couldn't finish watching FF2, so I guess my opinion could be a bit unfair. I did like Johnny Storm and Thing, but thought Sue, Reed, Doom, and everyone else just sucked it up big time. Direction and cinematography were mediocre in my book. Stories seemed forgettable. . .since I've pretty much forgotten all about them.

I will admit to being a huge FF fan, though. Some of my favorite comics ever are John Byrne's run. And I just don't feel the movie did the team justice. So in a way, I'm one of these guys:

Edited by karamazov80

Doom surfing was laughable.

Better take that one up with Lee and Kirby. Doom zipped around on the Surfer's board when Vic stole the Surfer's power in the comics too. But instead of taking the four for a spin, he just blasted them. Much more preferable.

• 7 months later...

I got this movie for Christmas and watched the Extended Cut last night. I didn't notice the extended parts, but I still don't think this movie was TERRIBLE. It's entertaining and it looks niiiiiiice on Blu Ray.

Although I like Daredevil, Elektra, both F4 and the Schumacher Batman movies... hahaha!

I finally watched this a couple weeks ago. It took me three tries. The first two times, I kept turning it off and finding something better to do, which could have been absolutely anything. When I did finally watch it, it was on BR, but cutting edge visuals only work if the special effects are good. Here the effects pretty perfectly matched the acting, which would have been refreshing if they hadn't both been so terrible. I thought it was wretched through and through. Poorly written, poorly cast, poorly designed, poor special effects, poorly acted, and poorly directed. I don't understand how it's nominated for so few Razzies. That said, I thought that Mark Strong made a compelling Sinestro and should have been in the movie for... well, all of it. Tomar-re and Kilowog were well voiced. Even so, for all of its many, many faults, in those last few seconds, I was positively ecstatic about a sequel.

I find a lot of the failure with comic based movies comes about because directors, writers and producers feel the need to make changes to comic history. They tweek costumes, backstories, character development & relationships, all to the point that they no longer resemble the comics they are based on. The Batman redux is good because it is fairly faithful to the darkness that is Batman. Iron Man is great partly because they have been faithful to the comics. Yeah, Vietnam became the Middle East for Stark's Iron Man beginnings, but the clunky Mark I is a great representation of the comics MKI. I even had doubts about RDJ as Stark, but he fills the role well because he plays the Stark from the comics we read.

Okay, I know this is from six months ago, but... I couldn't agree more. I've always wondered, though, if this is true because we like what we're familiar with and dislike any deviation, or if, by deviating, those writers and directors have lost sight about the characteristics that made the property work in the first place. Chicken or egg, I guess.

As for Green Lantern, I still haven't seen it. I just can't believe that they screwed GL up; out of all comic book characters, he seemed like the easiest to translate to a movie. :confused:

It reminds me a LOT of Daredevil- it tried too hard to do too much and in the end, nothing works. The plot was a mess, the FX looked poorly finished, and there were too many elements failing about for you to care about anyone.

I was one in the past that was critical of the look of the movie. I'm also easily annoyed by Ryan Reynolds. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I watched it and picked up the extended cut on blu ray for $5 on black friday. I felt it was good for an action movie. Kinda of like Wolverine Origins. It was shredded by critics and fans but when I finally watched it, i liked it enough. Was it X-Men first class worthy? No, but a perfectly acceptable action movie.