UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Green Lantern: The Movie

minimadman

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah....where can I start. The trailer looks like a really bad...REALLY bad joke. I cannot type into words how disappointing that trailer is to Movie Fans, Green Lantern Fans, and Ryan Reynolds Fans alike! The trailer has confirmed my worse fears (pun intended), they made GL a comedy.

Now, for Jeff's sake :), I not ruling out the movie completely. In fact, good or bad I will see it opening weekend. All I am saying though is that WB couldn't have picked a worse way to promote the movie.

From what I've seen in the trailer, watched it several times now, I have nothing be negatives. Where to start. I hate the costume, ring, and lantern. It looks like something from Cybertron. If you didn't know he needed a lantern you would never know what the heck that thing was and the ring looks like a HUGE 50 cent gumball ring. The suit is just ugly, it is made to look organic but comes across as a cheap man's vemon suit. Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

As for the story, I don't mind the idea of Hal having fear. Basically, he is only as powerful as his willpower is, if he didn't struggle with it at some point it wouldn't be much of a movie. But everything else seems like forced comedy. Getting beat up by common thugs only to beat them down with a green fist. Really?!

It has been said here before, but I will repeat it. This movie screams Flash. If you just changed the hues from green to red I would completely buy this movie. Flash is over the top fun, always with something smart to say, never taking anything too seriously. That is the movie I feel like I'm looking out. Hal would not even begin to act that way. In the end I think they are going to tarnish the character wholly to where no one will ever credit him as anything but a throw away comedian. In a line up of the JLA, GL should stand strong with Batman and Superman.......but here he looks more like the court jester. What a failure! neo

I've always felt FireFly and Dr Horrible's Nathan Filian would make a greta Hal. There's a fan made trailer on YouTube with clips of him spliced in and IMO it looks great. Ryan... I dunno. He could work but he seems more jokey Hal than cocky Hal.

HOWEVER, a picture of Parallax has leaked and looks pretty awesome IMO.

• 4 months later...

that was....that was....lets put it this way, as i was watching it i heard the screams of excitement of millions of GL fans around the world. this is gonna be a masterpiece, i agree the first trailer made it look a little childish, but this was beyond awesome, just hearing reynolds say the oath assured me he is the man for this and hearing from tomar re and sinestro really made me think they are doing this thing right, DC has finally gotten their act together, first dark knight and now this, i seriously cant wait to see what is next

GL is one of 2 characters I really enjoy from the DC universe. I just wanted to make note that Hal wasn't chosen because he is fearless, it was because he had the capacity to overcome his fears. As for the humor aspect I'll take it as long as it comes with a healthy dose of OA

FREAKIN' AWESOME! 'mI loving it. Check out time frame 3:06 and you can see Stel standing behind Toma-Re and at the 3:08 mark you gan see Salaak. Man there are going to be so many Easter Eggs in this movie. Can't wait.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I have to say originally even though I would see this movie anyway as its a superhero film that I'm with agreement as it goes, this new footage really ups the movie for me so its now ranking as a must see.

I'm happy more ppl are enjoying it as well.

I'm not sure how many people in the UK know about Green Lantern & whether that will affect its interest?

I've been playing catch up with some old comics I've had for years but never read & I'm getting into the character now & that trailer was amazing.....this movie will be a winner!

I hate nay saying this movie, as once it was announced I was completely stoked for it, but the first couple of trailers left me feeling like this was just a big budget animated movie. This one is an improvement, but I feel it is still missing a realistic feel. The non-human characters still look green screened in and animated. They are beautiful but cartoony.

Edited by vbpanizzi

The new trailer is definitely a step up IMO, but I still am not feeling it much. Sinestro seems very spot on to me, it feels more dramatic overall of course, and the CG is not too bad, though I guess there is inherent cheese when you go balls-out like this. I think moving away from the Iron Man-lite is a good idea. However, Ryan Reynolds is still the main character, and he still doesn't do it for me. The one comedic line in the new trailer is cringe-worthy, and you know they are still gonna have scores of that since that is Ryan's shtick.

I hope I'm wrong, and ultimately I'm hoping he can act well enough to make me forget that he's annoying-ass Ryan Reynolds from all those other horrible movies he's been in and accept that he's Hal Jordan.

• 1 month later...

The latest Green Lantern trailer is up for viewing. New to this one is footage of Hal's training with Sinestro and Kilowog. We actually get to hear Kilowog speak in this one. Also seen is the first footage containing one of the Guardians of the Universe. I am so psyched for this movie now. Go check out the trailer!

Sinestro Corps Symbol seems a bit early, but God bless those bastards for using it. This makes three in this movie:

Green Lantern logo (obviously)

Sinestro Corps Logo (as seen in trailer)

Star Sapphire Logo (Carol wears this on her Pilot helmet)

lots of foreshadowing and it gets better by the day.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

I really want this to be good but the suit looks silly. His domino mask looks terrible. I got a feeling the animated movie is going to be better than this. I agree with karamazov80 is definitely going to be a rental.

I too just can't get over the look. GL has one of the most streamlined and generally cool costumes out there. I don't like how it was changed to that weird organic look. I guess that's one of the GL tests. You'd have to be able to overcome great fear to fly around naked like that.

On the other hand, the movie keeps looking better and better, and I am definitely looking forward to seeing it.

Edited by Turtle

I really want this to be good but the suit looks silly. His domino mask looks terrible. I got a feeling the animated movie is going to be better than this. I agree with karamazov80 is definitely going to be a rental.

I too just can't get over the look. GL has one of the most streamlined and generally cool costumes out there. I don't like how it was changed to that weird organic look. I guess that's one of the GL tests. You'd have to be able to overcome great fear to fly around naked like that.

On the other hand, the movie keeps looking better and better, and I am definitely looking forward to seeing it.

ill gladly agree that green lanterns comic look is one of the most iconic cool superhero looks of all time, and i may even go so far as saying that the movie look is 'silly' but because i know the logic behind it, i really dont mind it, i mean you have to come up with a suit thats made by aliens to fit ANY alien in the universe! So its not gonna look 'cool' on all of them, also i think this look will look great for john stewart when he eventually becomes a lantern :D

• 1 month later...

Has anybody seen this movie yet? All I see online and in the paper are luke-warm to bad reviews. A few people from FB have said it was "amazing", but the bad is overwhelming the good so far as I can see. I'm heading out to see it tonight with my gang of friends (all of which are comic book fans) and my wife (who is not a comic book fan, but enjoys the sight of a shirtless Ryan Reynolds). So I ask again, to anyone having seen this movie, is it as bad as they say it is?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I waited up and saw the midnight showing last night... This was the movie I've been waiting most of my life for. I'm a huge Green Lantern fan (gee...I'm sure that's a suprise...) and I was skeptical at first, but I was glad to be proved wrong. Reynolds was nicely toned down for most of the film, and actually showed some chops as an actor. The flying scene with Tomar was amazing, as were all of the scenes on Oa.

Also, stick around after the credits, there's a set up for a potential sequel. Not suprising for any fans of the comics, but neat nonetheless.

@ Lurch: There's some slightly creepy stuff at the end with parallax, but I didn't find anything too scary, and I'm a bit of a whimp when it comes to scary stuff.

Overall, not a perfect movie, but very far from a bad one. This is of course just my opinion, don't hate me if you don't like it.