UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 13...IS OUT NOW!

Jatta Pake

Here's another craptastic '90s costume. . .that was just created!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39115

Keep in mind, folks, this is:

A. Another Earth Lantern

B. A controversial ethnicity

C. A controversial ethnicity and religion prominently displayed on his own body

D. An Arabic man with a pistol

E. An Arabic man with a pistol and a ski/gimp mask

I give up, DC. You win.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another craptastic '90s costume. . .that was just created!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39115

I like it, the concept is stupid (a gun?!), but if he was a latino GL (instead of an arabic GL... and I hope the tattoo is a construct) it’d make WAY more since he looks like a luchadore.

but DC found the news media liked stories about a gay Batwoman and a muslim Batman so now they’re doing the same thing with GL? Something tells me they thought the movie was going to do a lot better and these would linked to a character more on people’s minds then ‘oh right! from that Ryan Reynold’s movie... didn’t see it, I just waited for Captain America instead.'

Got 'em! They had done a reset at the local TRU where they replaced the Avengers display with an Amazing Spider-Man one. I figured they moved the mates around so I looked at the collectibles aisle... and almost missed 'em: A single, full peg of Wave 13 mates next to the Avengers/MvsC3 peg!

Picked up the Spidey/Punisher and DD/Kingpin two-packs as I have no interest in the other characters.

Surprisingly, Spider-Man might be my favorite mate of the bunch. The colors are a perfect red and blue! No more dark red or baby blue... :lol:

Edited by Brad Redfield

B. A controversial ethnicity

Hmm.

C. A controversial ethnicity and religion prominently displayed on his own body

Arabic isn't a religion.

D. An Arabic man with a pistol

A bit provocative.

I can only assume he is Muslim considering he's Arabic. It's not like he'll be Catholic. :rolleyes: I know Arabic isn't a religion.

I can only assume he is Muslim considering he's Arabic. It's not like he'll be Catholic. :rolleyes: I know Arabic isn't a religion.

which is why I hope that tattoo is a construct, if he’s a muslim who follows the rules of islam he shouldn’t have a tattoo (same rule is in judaism)

if it’s not a construct then DC was so busy trying to make ‘contraversy’ with a muslim superhero they didn’t bother looking up the rules of islam... it’d be like making a new Catholic superhero who eats hamburgers every Friday. It’s a small thing most of society wouldn’t find odd, but would be going against church teaching.

(and I’m assuming he’s a MODERATE character who’s just a normal guy who happens to be a muslim, if he’s a SUPER devote muslim telling Soranik Natu to put a veil on and saying he won’t obey the Guardians direct orders but will instead follow Shirai law and has a REAL tattoo DC can go to Hell for being that stupid.)

ON TOPIC:

I hate Boom-Boom as a character, but I love the minimate, I find terrible 90’s designs oddly appealing in minimate form. We need a new Domino now though, since I don’t want to spend $20 for her on eBay.

Also, now that I have Kingpin I feel oddly complete, I’ve wanted this minimate since we first saw his picture and now that I have him in hand I’m very happy... there’s other nice minimates coming soon (my TRU still hasn’t gotten ASM) but with Kingpin in hand, I don’t feel the need to hunt or chase, it’s nice.

I'm so Excited for these but no sign yet in Washington. I'm hoping they show up this week.

Went on a road trip through North/South Carolina this past weekend, I found them at the 3rd TRU I visited, in Greenville, SC. The first two were a no-show, then I get to the third, and they have wave 13, and ASM Movie! I held off on ASM for now, I think I want to see the movie first. But I was super excited to get wave 13! More New Mutants! And I'm a child of the 90s X-Men, so I like the garish Rictor & Boom Boom. I remember the issue where she made that costume. :)

My Mirage is missing her bow. Emailed DST twice now. Sadly I'm not getting a response whereas when I emailed them about movie Hawkeye's missing shoulder gear I got a prompt response and got the missing part in a few days.

So other than that I'm loving this wave. Really like the NM and X-Force folks. Punisher is great and I really like the Kingpin.

Edited by Webhead

My Mirage is missing her bow. Emailed DST twice now. Sadly I'm not getting a response whereas when I emailed them about movie Hawkeye's missing shoulder gear I got a prompt response and got the missing part in a few days.

So other than that I'm loving this wave. Really like the NM and X-Force folks. Punisher is great and I really like the Kingpin.

PM me your address and I'll send you one; I know I've got an extra. It might be purple, but if I've got a brown one, I'll send it.

See? We're all friends here.:biggrin:

PM me your address and I'll send you one; I know I've got an extra. It might be purple, but if I've got a brown one, I'll send it.

Ha I never said we weren't all friends or friendly...just passionate folks. PM being sent!

Ha I never said we weren't all friends or friendly...just passionate folks. PM being sent!

I also have a spare brown bow if need be...and since I am already sending you stuff can just toss one in there

Jeff of the miniacs

I'll take 90's comics over everything that came before it.

Whoa now, let's not say anything we can't take back!

I found these yesterday but only picked up the X characters. I'm less interested in them but there were fewer available and hey... all new characters. I haven't read enough X-force to really weigh in on the quality of the stories, but even as a kid I never liked Liefeld's art as I thought it was too "busy". Heck, I never liked Jim Lee's art until around Hush; if there was one positive thing to say about that story, it's definitely that Lee decided to show off why people liked his stuff in the first place.

That said, I think these characters all turned out great. Boom Boom's costume isn't the most well conceived look but I'd call it "garish" before "fugly". It's definitely loud and looks more like something you'd see in a music video than it does a superhero outfit but it's unique and is a character I'd think was unlikely to ever see release. Plus her shoulderpads and belt being connected by the pouch tampo on her chest is a really clever bit of design. Rictor's less exciting from a visual standpoint but it's neat to have one of the least likely to be made X-team members come out. Plus, his hair's cool and the number of parts we see made here that have limited future usage really give hope to some of the more difficult to produce minimates.

Dani and Magma are great too though Dani's face looks a little small on her head block. I get that they were trying to replicate the very thin face the character was usually shown with back in NM and as a result, I also recognize it could just be my imagination telling me the tampo is small. The optional belts are a nice touch and I dig her spear too! Magma turned out wonderfully as well; she might be my favorite clear minimate that isn't one of the promo freebies. I guess this officially makes Cypher as the only New Mutant to not have an officially official mate, though I think most of us have QC'ed one by now anyway.

As much as I like these though, I think I'll hold the line at the 15 or so different outfits each character apparently wore in X-Force. That's entering X-Factor territory where I'd probably pass on the different variations Cyke and the gang wore in there. I'm good where we're at for most of them, especially since it seemed most characters changed costumes every 3rd issue in the 90's, though I think any version of Syrin would be nice and packing her with Warpath/Thunderbird would be a sharp possibility in the future. I'd also like a standard modern-ish Cable though I'm in no rush by now.

For the people who've said these make great toys, I have to wonder if that isn't what Marvel/Liefeld and Capullo had in mind when designing them sometimes. The New Mutants era is kind of when I stopped reading X-men comics, as the first volumes of Essential X-men started coming out when I was in grade/middle school, but there's plenty of room for whatever. You can't deny Boom Boom stands out and I already got one of my impossible minimates this year in the form of Jean DeWolff. I won't begrudge someone else taking a turn at the wheel, especially if Zemo makes it in from the Fan poll right now.

I'll take 90's comics over everything that came before it.

Bwahahahaha. Thanks for the humor, I needed a good laugh.

Fine, I'll play your game.

EVERYTHING FROM THE 80's, 70's & 60's IS CRAP AND ANYONE WHO LIKES IT IS AN IDIOT WHO HAS NO TASTE!!! AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE STUFF FROM THE 90's, YOU'RE AN EVEN BIGGER IDIOT WHO HAS EVEN LESS TASTE!!!

There. I've sunk to your disrespectful level. Happy? :rolleyes:

Whoa now, let's not say anything we can't take back!

MY opinion. You don't have to like it. You don't have to agree with it. I stand by it. Get over it.

Check the address you're using, because I haven't seen it.

It's the Internet. It's just jokes.

I agree. I suppose actual intent doesn't always come across in a quickly written messageboard post especially since I've always found emoticons a little awkward. I'm glad you've got your opinion Tenime but as someone without a particular decade preference (though I am fond of a lot of early 80's Spider-Man and a lot of late 90's Avengers blah blah blah forever) I feel for you being such a fan of 90's X-stuff as you probably have to be very defensive of them, likely at places less friendly then here. I don't think the 90's were as bad an era as the rap is for them, as even stuff like the Clone Saga has a few good stories inside of an unwieldly mess of out-of-character behavior, but that period will always be controversial for a number of reasons.

764708-juggernaut_destroy_worl_trade_centerfeat13_super.jpg

I did read an X-Force comic or two when I was a kid; it was when the book crossed over into just plain Spider-Man and the Juggernaut knocked down the World Trade Center by accident. Funny how things age